• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My 2006 RMK 900 Build

C

catmanm7

Nov 29, 2007
Are your rivets orange as well. Or am I seeing things. I have my sled torn apart ready for powdercoating, but the tunnel is all riveted together and they can't do multiple colors on one piece. Just trying to see how you got such a clean finish, nice work:first:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Are your rivets orange as well. Or am I seeing things. I have my sled torn apart ready for powdercoating, but the tunnel is all riveted together and they can't do multiple colors on one piece. Just trying to see how you got such a clean finish, nice work:first:

LOL,

yeh this was one thing i have had been trying to figure out as well.

1. on the side of the tunnel by the feet (black section) i used steel rivets and hand painted them all black using POR-15 paint. i also used some black aluminum rivets on non-stress points.

2. on the rear of the tunnel is where i have problems, where the u-cooler goes, i used the aluminum rivots, but they pretude too far and the u-cooler hits them, so i had to remove them (still nothing there), and there is like 1/16" of room between the cooler and side of tunnel, so my only option is to get the solid rivots that VE uses..

--so if i get the VE rivot kit, i will powder coat them one by one myself, and then install them...or you can pay VE like $10 more then the "kit" price and they will powder coat them in black for you...but ill probably do the orange instead..

would like to see some pics of your sled for sure...before and after :face-icon-small-coo

C

catmanm7

Nov 29, 2007
I dont want to booger up your thread anymore, but I am almost to the point of doing it all black. I just put solid rivets in the whole chassis and I do not want to remove any. I like the multi color and have debated on black and orange, black and white or black and olive drab green, but I just dont have the time to take it apart to poweder coat seperately, snow is flying. I will start a thread on mine this weekend, i just bought my membership a couple hours ago.

:light:
But now that brings me to a questions, how well will POR-15 stick to powdercoating. If I did my sled all one color and came back and did the black accents, **** i better do some searching.....

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
:light:
But now that brings me to a questions, how well will POR-15 stick to powdercoating. If I did my sled all one color and came back and did the black accents, **** i better do some searching.....

i dont think the POR would stick to bad, its made to be painted directly over rust, so i would imagine it would stick fine...but you wont actually be painting over the powder coat, just get a super fine detail brush and hand paint the steel rivots or whatever your painting with the POR.

do you have any of the VE rivots left over? i only need like 30 maybe 40...whatever it would take to cover the rear section is all.

C

catmanm7

Nov 29, 2007
ill look, i used other rivets then what he gave me. I had a hell of a time getting my tunnel half to fit, so I basically drilled every rivet out that he put in. I think when I ordered he sent my the pull style rivets, because I had the other rivets on hand. Go to any fastner supply house and they should be able to get them. If you get the solid rivets, make sure to get the die etc. Ill check back on this thread tonight, but I am 90% sure I dont have any.

Also I will be doing the Por-15 on my rails and rear VE half, maybe even mask off some emblems on the side of the tunnel. So I will be doing paint over the powdercoating. i think it will stick. Now my dilemma is what color, orange or olive drab. Have you seen hatchers and doughboys sleds.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
Have been thinking about this powdercoating plans since my last post, and I have some questions...since I have no experience about powdercoating as of today.

Is it possible to powdercoat on top of the old powdercoating, if not what can be used to remove the old coating?

Is it corect that you powdercoat some of the smaller parts yourself, and if so what equipment do you use. Is there a write up on powdercoating on here that i have missed...if not maybe you could make one and explain the process?:face-icon-small-hap

Since you have to use the drive style rivets VE use bacause of the U-cooler, and if you coat these rivets before you intall them...will the coating stay intact?

thanks for any answers:)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Have been thinking about this powdercoating plans since my last post, and I have some questions...since I have no experience about powdercoating as of today.

Is it possible to powdercoat on top of the old powdercoating, if not what can be used to remove the old coating?

you dont wanna powder coat over ANY paint, old powder coat...you want a bare metal surface for best adhesion...if you try and coat over paint or powder coating, during the baking process, you will get bubbles in the new powder coating finsih and it will look very bad...its like spraying paint over greasey finger prints..it sticks to it, but looks bad

i have a snad blasting cabinet (from harbor frieght) to remove paint, old powder coat...but i have used sand paper, grinding wheels, wire wheels, acetone ect...anything you can do to get it to bare metal

Is it corect that you powdercoat some of the smaller parts yourself, and if so what equipment do you use. Is there a write up on powdercoating on here that i have missed...if not maybe you could make one and explain the process?:face-icon-small-hap

YEP..i do most everything myslef as far as powder coating..anything that can fit in a household oven can be done by myself (spare oven in the garage of coarse, lol)

there might be a write up on powder coating, but never looked? i would just search on google on how-to..its really quite simple....i dont have time right now to do a detailed write-up, but if i can, i will do a short one...

Since you have to use the drive style rivets VE use bacause of the U-cooler, and if you coat these rivets before you intall them...will the coating stay intact?

powder coating does have a resistance to chipping, and is very strong...but it can be damaged for sure...just have to be careful...i might use a cloth in between the air-hammer install tool and the rivot..if you use too much force on the rivot head, it could "dent" the coating, but i bet it would be just fine ;)

thanks for any answers:)

sorry for the delay in respinding...been busy making amzing sleds, lol.....

my replies in RED above..

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
Thanks for the info guido:)

Found numerous threads on powdercoating after some research on google, found some basic powdercoating equipment on e-bay which looked nice.

Now ill just have to install an oven in my garage:face-icon-small-hap

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
better pic of Boss Seat
IMG_20101123_204412.jpg

hood from the side and front...i really like it, the wife says its the ugliest thing she has ever seen, lol...what do they know???
IMG_20101123_204310.jpg

IMG_20101123_204322.jpg

you can see the way the hood lines up, but looks funny without side panels there...thats gonna be a trick on getting them to line up and secured nice and tight??
IMG_20101123_204401.jpg

what it looks like from the drivers seat ;) the gap isnt too bad, plus the hood straps will secure it tighter..but overall, not as bad as i thought it was gonna be, lol.
IMG_20101123_204333.jpg

IMG_20101123_204343.jpg

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
ok..little update.

i got the baby purring the other day, had a broken wire on the hood harness so the gauges didnt work, did some troubleshooting and found it, repaired..all good, no codes, runs like a champ...

--need to install the newly balanced clutch from Indydan that will be here thursday
--need to bleed/add coolant
--track tension/alignment
--ski alignment
--install hood straps and side panel straps
--get the crack in the slp pipe welded up
--and a few small things i can do when the rest above is done

here is the latest in progress...

installed the custom made ORANGE SKINZ float plate, perfect fit and LOTS of coverage, holy smokes...I'LL NEED EVERY BIT OF OF IT TOO!!!

IMG_20101201_203340.jpg

powder coated the ski bolt washers orange, lol...why not?? haha..
powder coated the ZBROZ sway bar bracket orange as well

IMG_20101206_164210.jpg

IMG_20101206_164153.jpg

installed the FNI HiFlo Shock vents....WOW they are awesome...very nice and long, and will provide a TON of airflow...HIGHLY recommend them

you can also see the Mountain Fit Hoods front Nose pan vents...great addition to get some cool air in around the pipe.

IMG_20101206_163230.jpg

IMG_20101206_154826.jpg

installed the Dragon belt cover, of coarse i did it in orange, installed the Capacitor in the oem location for the newer sleds...
if i would have known this summer i was gonna use this cover, i would have tried to convert all the electronics to the belt cover like the dragons as well.

IMG_20101206_154835.jpg

IMG_20101206_160457.jpg

what do you guys think??

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
BTW...that chitty intake setup is just temporary to get me by for a few weeks till i get back from vacation and make one thats actually worth taking a pic of, lol.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
little update.

i am pretty much done.

need to tie up a few small things and its official

--weld crack in bottom of SLP pipe
--Bleed brake caliper
--rail protectors from the ice scrathers
--will get an EGT bracket from TurboBoyz when i am in Utah
--re-due the intake setup
--replace the bent front bumper
--after the bumper is replaced i will need to work the fenders a little to get them to line up better.

PART_1292442898994.jpg

PART_1292442897539-1.jpg

PART_1292442896678-1.jpg

PART_1292442894685-1.jpg

PART_1292442898256.jpg

PART_1292442892840-1.jpg

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Hell yea!!

Thanks for the pics man! Ive been waiting for your build to be done... Lol

The black and orange does look AWESOME!!!

-Matt

LOL...Thanks Matt. And thanks for the SICK Mud Flap.

Make sure you guys send Matt a PM and get you one of his flaps..you wont be disappointed...quality is excellent and I am more then happy with it!!

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
damn...... only thing i don't like about the whole project is the hood. I would do something diferent because the mesh hoods are not my cup of tea.... But it sure as hell don't look bad.

Very good job! I'd be scared to ride it, that's how nice it is. :heart:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
got very little work done lately..stilll have to finish the wifes sled (install motor, boss seat) before i can ride anyways..so after hers is done, i can work on mine in-between riding..

--the 09 front bumper is bent, so doesnt line the hood up the best, but its something i can deal with till i can afford a new Skinz front bumper

--the MAG side left fender tweaks when i bolt the fender to the front nose plastic and has a small crack now by the bolt hole...removed fender but its not lining up very well to the side panel/hood...so its not the best looking...so will continue to mess with this over time...

--installed Turboboyz EGT bracket on handlebars

--got a deal on some Fat Boy springs to use, installed them and now the track nubs on the track are resting on the springs (by the upper idler wheels) so will either work with it and see if the spring adjuster helps, change to 6" upper idler wheels, or go back to stock springs for now?

--eventually make my own intake setup like BiggDawg did, but will be a while before i get to that

installed Polzinhunters Billet Chaincase covers for 06-up..

IMG_20110102_180837.jpg

pic of the newly balanced clutch (thansk IndyDan) with powder coated cover

IMG_20110102_182858.jpg

Premium Features