• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fastrax project Pro RMK

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Well, we're making progress on the old girl-finished pulling the bulkhead apart , cleaned up the old glue and re assembled the coolers and bottom panel with fresh adhesive in preparation for the tunnel sides.

proplateandbulkheadglues009.jpg

a little scraping and a heat gun removes the adhesive easily.

proplateandbulkheadglues010.jpg

After paying attention for a change...it appears that this adhesive releases easily at about 150 degrees-a light prying force is all it takes to know if it has released or not.

proplateandbulkheadglues002.jpg

proplateandbulkheadglues004.jpg

proplateandbulkheadglues006.jpg

here are the removed sections ready to clean and assemble.

proplateandbulkheadglues009.jpg

Bottom plate and cooler after fresh adhesive and assembly:

proplateandbulkheadglues028.jpg

The final tunnel sides are fitted, drilled and ready to assemble finally! we are finishing the pto side extrusion and will be assembling the tunnel over the coming weekend.

plateandboards003.jpg

plateandboards002.jpg

In the meantime....we've finished designing and building our Billet 6 mount Pro motor plate--this will be the answer for all of you turbo and big bore guys when the stock mounting system has problems...

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup031.jpg

plateandboards013.jpg

plateandboards012.jpg

And we've gotten a good start to the turbo system-we are working with HM turbos again and using Shanes proven components including the liquid intercooler system he pioneered several years ago. The Pro RMK won't have a bulkhead cooler to utilize this system but we have a way around that for you also! There will be a kit available from us and HM turbos to install the Rush bulkhead cooler into your Pro RMK if you want the benefits of rock solid consistent charge temps in all conditions.

motor mounted up and ready for turbo plumbing fab work to begin!

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup042.jpg

the Pro mounts the motor way lower than the IQ so they use angled boots to keep the throttle bodies out of the bulkhead.

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup049.jpg

tons of room in this chassis! the intercooler will hang from the hoop here...

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup052.jpg

Heres the pipe routing-fit like a glove even with the non-stock motor configuration

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup053.jpg

the internal stinger design leaves us lots of room for the turbo since the pipe is significantly shorter without the stinger hanging out...

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup054.jpg

most of you probably haven't seen this yet but this is what we do to keep pipes on turbos in one piece-its a custom made stainless flex bellows that we use to get rid of the unreliable and poor pipe to manifold sealing characteristics of most all current two stroke turbos-our design allows the pipe to go through its contortions due to heat cycles and still maintain a 100% pressure seal to drive your turbo. Allowing the pipe to "float" also alleviates the stresses on the pipe which helps keep the cracking issues away. we use stainless flanges to secure and seal the joint so no more broken spring issues and assembly is quick and easy with no bleeding!

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup061.jpg

turbine flange is fabbed and welded up- silencer is next and there is a ton of room for it!

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup062.jpg

nice short charge tube run to the intercooler...

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup065.jpg

Also got the rad new Avid drivers mounted up on the shaft

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup059.jpg

Sorry to post this all at once but we've gotten busier than ever and I'm losing my computer play time! I'll have more to post next week!

curt

Last edited:

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
One more bit of info for ya! With the extended case AND a front bulkhead cooler, we have just under 4" of track room from the outer surface of a 2.86 pitch 8 tooth driver at the tightest spot in the tunnel (which is directly above the driver)

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup056.jpg

projectpromotorplateandturbomockup057.jpg

This case will allow big tracks with good clearance no problem and according to Justin its "super sexy"

protunnelsidesandbilletcase012.jpg

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
LMAO, 4Z!! That's right, bling-bling!!

RS

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Well she's coming together nicely now-been a bunch of progress since last post!

mag tunnel side in final mockup and extrusion fitted and welded up...

plateandboards003.jpg

pto tunnel side in final mockup and extrusion fitted and welded...

prormkbuild008.jpg

finishing up the drop and roll on the pto side...

prormkbuild005.jpg

its a tight fit...but it fits!

prormkbuild004.jpg

fitting the tail cap/center section for the first time...this is a sweet part that will be available separately from the tunnel sides-we've incorporated more room for the hoses of our auxillary u-coolers and molded in a nice led tail light housing...

prormkbuild012.jpg

prormkbuild014.jpg

prormkbuild013.jpg

got the silencer all fabbed up from some leftovers laying around the shop and now the exhaust is all done...waiting for it to get back from the coater currently...

prormkbuild019.jpg

meanwhile...got the tunnel sides off and cleaned up for installation-here's how they look when they're not covered in grinding dust and my ink pen scribblings...

prormkbuild024.jpg

another shot with our traction/skid frame mount plates...

prormkbuild028.jpg

got all the tunnel components back from the powder coater in record time and went to work riveting and gluing this chassis together finally...

prormkbuild040.jpg

prormkbuild033.jpg

prormkbuild036.jpg

and when the adhesive set, installed the footrests, side extrusions and the chaincase...

prormkbuild041.jpg

prormkbuild061.jpg

prormkbuild060.jpg

prormkbuild066.jpg

got my hands on a Pro RMK nose bucket before they were available through the dealers...can't say from who but he knows who he is and needs to know that I owe him one!
prormkbuild058.jpg

went to work finishing up the throttle body mods for the turbo-installed HM Turbos billet rings to keep the i/c boots on and also their stainless throttle body retaining brackets. After that was complete we swung the motor in again and started mounting the air to liquid intercooler...

prormkbuild045.jpg

prormkbuild046.jpg

prormkbuild050.jpg

prormkbuild053.jpg

prormkbuild055.jpg

we used HM turbos IQ intercooler and adapted it to the Pro chassis-I like the way it fits this chassis even better than the IQ-fabbed up a new bracket for the pto side to bolt to the hoop...

and then a mag side bracket to fasten to the Pro upper framework...

prormkbuild073.jpg

and added a clamp to the back to hold the water pump securely...

prormkbuild070.jpg

That just leaves the charge tube to fab up but no can do till the exhaust is back from the coaters on Monday...so we assembled the nose bucket and our 4130 bumper along with the front suspension-all fresh out of powdercoat...also mocked up the seat and tank and installed the Pto side fender-now you can really see the new profile of this sled with the new tunnel sides-she's looking good!

prormkbuild065.jpg

prormkbuild064.jpg

prormkbuild060.jpg

prormkbuild063.jpg

the Pro hood looks wicked when gutted...kinda reminds me of a crocodile for some reason! We'll be pulling air for the turbo from the light pod and the existing brake cooling duct on the side so we'll be fabbing up a plenum to close off the entire underside of the light/guage pod and the outlet will sit down on the turbo inlet when the hood is installed.

I'll be mounting the T.S./Ars skid tomorrow and finishing up some of the hose plumbing etc while I wait on the last couple components. She'll be getting a killer new wrap soon also.

Well, you likey?

Curt

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Ooooh yes! Me likey, like a lot!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Going to be a sow piece Curt, AND I have good money on it being a runner as well.

Always looking for updates on your builds Curt.

Rune

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
WOOO HOOO!!!!!

Wicked Curt.... The true mark of a Professional!!

Are you fitting up with the Rush Tank or a RMK Fuel tank?

I'm sticking with the Rush tank-I like how it carries all the fuel forward and it works very well with the post location-I fabbed up the tank and seat supports over the weekend and that design also leaves a ton of room for a custom underseat/undertank storage bag.

will get more up soon...
Curt

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
WOW. That looks really good.
Soooooo, will this thing be sub 400 dry?

AND...I've always been a fan of the running board coolers that Polaris ran for a few years...but you aren't running coolant through that outer rolled edge are you?

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Nope-just using them for traction and even more strength.

as far as the weight goes-I seriously doubt even near 400#-it has a turbo after all! if it weighs within 10#'s of what a stock Pro 163 does, then I'll be satisfied! lots of heavy components on this old girl (shocks, turbo, etc) but I'll sacrifice weight for durability and performance any day!

got the tank and seat supports fabbed up on Sunday-turned out pretty cool and very strong but light-leaves me a bunch of room under the seat and tank for a custom storage bag!

tank bracket ready for powdercoat...

prormkbuild075.jpg

and this is where it gets installed...

prormkbuild078.jpg

here is the rear seat bracket all fabbed up...

prormkbuild079.jpg

prormkbuild080.jpg

Well, I'm down to just drilling the holes to mount the skid and fabbing the charge tube now-should have this thing just about finished after the coming weekend ! then comes the wrap!

curt

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
oh MAN..

it just gets better everytime i see this thread...love the seat post/fuel tank support brackets...

i cant wait to see this baby...ill be at the Puyallup show next month...be my first time..IM STOKED!!

Curt..your work is pure ART sir...congrats..!!

Last edited:

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
oh MAN..

it just ghets better everytime i see this thread...love the seat post/fuel tank support brackets...

i cant wait to see this baby...ill be at the Puyallup show next month...be my first time..IM STOKED!!

Curt..your work is pure ART sir...congrats..!!

Cool! its always nice to put a face to a name-look forward to meeting you!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm really interested in how the design of the RUSH tank and how it positions the weight on sled will compare to the PRO-RMK...

Nice work Curt... What about the FTX CF panels we have come to expect from you?

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
We'll have our CF vent kits by Puyallup show time, the side panels and hood will be a bit as we are working currently to catch up on existing orders and we don't want to rush the development process like we did last season since it just causes problems!

curt

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
More progress! the carbon/kevlar rock guard just got done-so we'll be buttoning up the drivetrain and right side of the sled in the next couple days-

ftxtunnelbrackets029.jpg

so, this is where we are at now-got the center tunnel section/closeout installed and installed the LED taillight...

ftxtunnelbrackets019.jpg

ftxtunnelbrackets007.jpg

finished up the charge tube...

ftxtunnelbrackets003.jpg

installed all the freshly ceramic coated exhaust components...

ftxtunnelbrackets015.jpg

ftxtunnelbrackets002.jpg

ftxtunnelbrackets026.jpg

ftxtunnelbrackets028.jpg

Bolted on the freshly powdercoated seat and tank brackets and installed the seat and tank...

ftxtunnelbrackets021.jpg

got started on the handle bars and controls along with cable routing. also got the intercooler and engine hose plumbing all mocked up.

ftxtunnelbrackets022.jpg

and finally got it off the table and onto the ground! finished up the external skidframe front arm mounting plates and layed out and drilled the skidframe mounting holes.

ftxtunnelbrackets035.jpg

ftxtunnelbrackets031.jpg

its looking hot! I couldn't resist climbing on the running boards and jumping around a bit-rock solid even without the skid frame installed-this will be the strongest tunnel you've ever stood on short of one of our tube chassis!

got a little more done on the bars and thats where we left off last night...

ftxtunnelbrackets034.jpg

Next post, we'll have this hog sitting on the skid , bodywork will be on and we'll be ready for the show wrap!

Curt

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Alright, she's ready for the wrap now! here's what happened this week...

recieved a fresh new rear bumper from our friends at CoBe' with a request to see if we could show it off so....

we mocked it up to see how it would fit our tunnel...

projectprormk035.jpg

we liked how the lines looked, so we went to work bolting that bad johnny on our show sled...

projectprormk036.jpg

then we went to work installing the kevlar rock guard and mag side bodywork...

projectprormk017.jpg

projectprormk016.jpg

and got the drivetrain installed for the last time...

projectprormk027.jpg

which means , we finally got to install the Timbersled skidframe and see a complete chassis finally!

projectprormk021.jpg

at this point, I couldn't resist popping the body panels on out of curiosity...

projectprormk031.jpg

next, we went to work finishing up the handlebars and controls...odi grips, Rox bars, FTX billet switch panel and throttle block, yamaha master cylinder...

projectprormk034.jpg

Justin brain stormed and whittled out this cool roller recoil rope guide on the lathe to route the rope away from the turbo-once in a while he comes up with a good idea...JK Justin-put the pistol away!

projectprormk050.jpg

and then went to work installing all of the hoses, electrical components, oil tank etc...to finally have it all together!

projectprormk044.jpg

projectprormk047.jpg

projectprormk049.jpg

projectprormk054.jpg

projectprormk057.jpg

projectprormk066.jpg

Just rolled it outside today in between rain storms and got a few good shots out of the darkness of our shop...

projectprormk058.jpg

projectprormk063.jpg

then went to work stripping the decals off since the wrap from E2 designs will be here Tuesday...and once again, couldn't resist putting the body work on to see the results of all these weekends in the shop...here it is with the hood on.

projectprormk071.jpg

and the pto side all assembled...

projectprormk075.jpg

and the mag side...

projectprormk082.jpg

and her best side-the mean side!

projectprormk078.jpg

whew, its finally done and ready for the wrap-the show is next weekend and it looks like we met the deadline! thanks to our partener shops for their help and we will be looking forward to everyone we get to meet at the Puyallup snow show this year!

projectprormk089.jpg

Curt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features