• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fastrax project Pro RMK

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Had another chat with Robbie this morning he has recieved my case and it turns out that there has been a change to the caliper design between the Rush and Pro RMK-bolt spacing is narrower on the RMK caliper and the caliper ears on the chaincase sit further outboard on the RMK-neither of these items will hinder our build since we plan to include mounting ears on the billet case for both calipers if possible. Everything else is identical so far and we are moving forward with that end of this project!

We also recieved our cooler extrusions on Friday(thank you Allen!) so we are back at getting the tunnel sides designed-we laid up some crude fiberglass panels over the weekend and will be mocking them up and getting the kick shape and running board dimensions ironed out in the next couple days-then we'll finalize a mold and pop a nice set out in fiberglass to double check fit and finish. After we are satisfied with that, we'll lay up a set in carbon fiber and install them. Then its on to designing the running board traction plates/skid brackets.
Progress pics soon!

Curt

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
we laid up some crude fiberglass panels over the weekend and will be mocking them up and getting the kick shape and running board dimensions ironed out in the next couple days

Holy crap Curt... its May, its time for snowcones and lawn chairs on the weekend, not working. Well I guess there is spring riding, your go fast boats, and off road toys too. Your gonna be burned out by the time your 30.

I am not much of one to talk, I worked all weekend too.

Glad things are workin out... looking good!!!!!!!!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Another year older just means your that much further behind..... some days it just feels like your kickin yourself in the nuts, cause your so busy you dont know up from down.......

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Allllllllright! Now we have some progress. Recived the rough proto case from Robbie and it fits like a glove.

ProRmkbilletcase008.jpg

Notice the difference in the brake caliper mounting surfaces(the new case has the PRO RMK mounting layout)

Fit right into the oem casting like a glove!

ProRmkbilletcase004.jpg

back and front shots-this one is rough since it's whittled from a junk block of material that had a botched job already partially machined in it (hence the drain hole at the top of the case!)

ProRmkbilletcase007-1.jpg

ProRmkbilletcase006.jpg

and here is a shot of the IQ RMK, Pro Rush and the extended Pro case all together just for kicks.

ProRmkbilletcase005.jpg

Forward mounting flange detail...sorry about the glare...suckers to shiney!

ProRmkbilletcase002.jpg

So I'm pretty satisfied at this point. This case gives me a little over 3/4" of an inch of room at the tightest spot in the bulkhead(which is 3/8" tighter than anywhere else) WITH A FRONT COOLER (which the RMK doesn't have) and 8t 2.86 drivers in a 2.5" track. My final case will be set up for the Rush caliper and we are going to try to incorporate both sets of caliper mounting bosses if possible in the production case. Everything is headed back to Robbie for final tweaks and then we'll have a case to build with.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Curt... Looks great!... Gotta love rapid-proto methods!

Hmmmm
FTXMOTORSPORTS: WITH A FRONT COOLER

Sounds like a good place to run intercooler fluid thru! (wink)

3/4" clearance.... with what track???
Did you narrow a 3" Lug Ch Ext?

I think Camoplast will be offering this off the shelf this year in a 15" wide.... 162" and 174"

Run the cat style drivers on there...they turn much more smoothly... Robbie can make them for the hex shaft I'm sure you'll be using.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Curt... Looks great!... Gotta love rapid-proto methods!

Hmmmm

Sounds like a good place to run intercooler fluid thru! (wink)

3/4" clearance.... with what track???
Did you narrow a 3" Lug Ch Ext?

I think Camoplast will be offering this off the shelf this year in a 15" wide.... 162" and 174"

Run the cat style drivers on there...they turn much more smoothly... Robbie can make them for the hex shaft I'm sure you'll be using.

Yeah, you got me all figured out!

the clearance was with a 2.5 track-remember, this was a trail chassis and that cooler is pretty thick-they use it as a structural member for the bulkhead sides as well as the rear motor mounts (which I think is pretty sweet!)
now you know why it needed a drop and roll so bad!

The last report I've heard on 3" tracks is that there will NOT be any 15 wides offered this season-its an investment and demand thing.

By the way, while waiting on the drivetrain and tunnel side protos, I dug into the motor and have decided to build a stroked 700. I have already mocked up with a 70mm crank and 81mm cylinders and I like the way it comes out. Should augment the bottom end power a bit to let an already great turbo motor work even better. I will also be working in our latest turbo specific porting variation with this motor.:face-icon-small-win

curt

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
We're making progress on the tunnel sides and have settled on this layout to give us the cleanest look, best fit and most strength. We work with thin fiberglass parts in the beginning so we aren't throwing away high dollar Carbon Fiber material every time we change our minds on design!

projectprormk011.jpg

We've got the board angles where we like them and have decided on a "boxed triangle" where we join the tunnel to the tail at the board closeout. We did this for a few reasons: 1) a full length tunnel side is expensive to ship. 2) we'll only have to build multiple molds for the tail for different track lengths and can use the same running board/tunnel side mold for all variations. 3) with the double box design glued together we really increase the strength of this critical area where we've seen issues with many other tunnels and we do it with less dependence on the outer running board support tube.

projectprormk008.jpg

with the footrest etc mocked up, all the fits are working out well so the next part out of the mold will be a carbon fiber piece that will become a permanent part of this sled.

projectprormk007.jpg

I'll hold on to my idea for the board traction/snow elimination/suspension mounting piece until I have one completely done to show you...it's going to be sweet looking and super clean. We are going to capitalize on carbon fibers natural ability to resist snow sticking to it with this design to help eliminate some weight gain throughout a days ride.

I've also just about got the stroked 700(730) motor together with our turbo specific port layout so it will be ready to drop in once the tunnel is done and we can start mocking up the turbo for it.

Curt

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Thanks! Sorry so long for an update guys...its been poking along slowly. The chaincase is done and came out awesome-kudos to Avid for a beautiful piece and Robbie has been a great dude to conspire with!
Tunnel sides/running boards are finally getting laid up-we are finally happy with the molds.
Traction/skid mounting inserts are prototyped and final parts are being built.
I've got the mod done to the bulkhead(rear cooler top) to attatch the RMK coolers to the Rush.
Motor work is all done and we can now(in house) cut bearing clip grooves in the CFI case so the bearing thrust clip can be moved to the pto inside bearing where there is far more meat to handle the thrust impacts-we ended up building custom tooling and fixtures and this process will become part of every cfi 7/800 we build from now on-its much needed.

I've been slacking at this and I apologize! I will get progress pics up this week.

Curt

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Here are a couple pics of the finished stretched case set up with the Pro Rush caliper and disc...I added drain and fill plugs for convenience.

protunnelsidesandbilletcase010.jpg

protunnelsidesandbilletcase009.jpg

and we finally got the tunnel side molds prepped and pulled out one quick carbon piece to do a final test fit and figure out how we wanted to build the side extrusions-this one was fabbed from scraps but will give you the general idea-

protunnelsidesandbilletcase001.jpg

protunnelsidesandbilletcase004.jpg

protunnelsidesandbilletcase003.jpg

So , we are finally done with working with crude development pieces and scraps now! The next pics you'll see will finally be production parts assembled on the chassis-since this chassis "glues" together, I'll walk you through the prep and application steps of the bulkhead and tunnel assembly involving the glue.

Also, the motor is fully assembled and the billet motor plate is getting whittled out in the next couple weeks-finally done with the design stages of it and it's a very nice piece that will give us all the strength we need to harness way beyond stock power. It will incorporate extra mounts to get the job done and we are ecstatic with the design.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Well come on Curtis! Gotta get going some more here. This is like setting people up on drugs you know, cant just start and then say "it's summer, check back later". No-no!

Updates, updates!

Rune

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Its coming, its coming! I'm as impatient as everyone else but we are working with some partener shops this season and we don't always work on the same time frames (we all have other day to day projects to pay the bills!) Here's a couple pics of the traction/skid frame bracket mocked up for ya!

This design allows us to keep most of the aluminum under the running board. The smooth finish on the carbon fiber works well to keep snow from sticking to it (unlike bare aluminum) so we wanted to keep as much of the c/f uncovered on top of the board as possible. This piece also incorporates the front and rear skid frame brackets built in and we have done the home work to insure that the brackets are placed properly and are big enough to work with most common stock and aftermarket skids.

These pieces will be bonded to the running board/tunnel side with minimal fasteners similar to how the bulkhead is assembled.

attachment.php

attachment.php

pro chassis traction plate mockup 001.jpg pro chassis traction plate mockup 007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Killer work Curt...

Hope you let me squeeze the throttle on that one this year.

IMO,
Hard coat anodize (Type III) those traction ribs and RB edges.

Use the teflon impregnated type III... snow wont stick... neither will adhesive, but you can just grind it off where it meets the carbon.

T

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Oct 5, 2008
Bc Canada
Yeah, I've been hung up with other customer projects and haven't made any more progress yet-it'll probably my usual thrashfest to finish it up before our show here...should have more progress for ya maybe the end of next week!

Curt

KK thanks Curt!! ( even though i dont like poo this is a SWEET SLED BUILD)

Cheers
Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features