• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my first turbo, need wisdom :)

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
I seized my crank bearings on my 800 HO turbo within 300 miles. This was a new crank and freshly packed bearings. The boost blew the isoflex grease out of ALL of the crank bearings. So now I run sealed bearings.

Here is a link to my HO turbo headaches:

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318433

Also a few vids on my YouTube channel with a bit more info:

i watched and commented on your video last night .. im going to run 3 psi to start and see what happens i would hope that the seals would hold 3 psi and knowing that this happened to you i will have to keep an eye on it now for sure .. i think you said you were running 7 psi when this happened ? did it blow out the seal behind the clutch and the stator or did it push it out the vents ?

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
love your videos fyi and your setup .. if i see any grease being pushed out i will have to go to a sealed bearing as well if i can make it thur this winter perhaps ill go to sealed over the summer as im sure by then ill want to head up to 5 psi for next season :)

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
I don't notice a performance gain until I hit 4 lbs+. If grease comes out of the PTO side, you will notice a speckled spatter beneath the primary clutch. It is slung when the grease is blown onto the backside of the primary, so it makes a line of grease spatter.

I have spoken to others who had the same issue. One person went to sealed bearings and ran it for over 2,000 miles with no engine trouble. Time will tell if my setup lasts that long.

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
true but you really have to account for elevation change 3 lbs here is more like 5 over 6000 and 5 is more like 7 .. so ill start at 3 and see what happens .. yes iv had a pto side crank seal let go before i noticed it right away hope i dont run into that this year

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
got some snow

well i finally got some snow .. and the first ride did not go so well . it starts runs and drives but with very little throttle the mag side drops .. egt gauge goes to -L- and it wont rev past 5600 rpm .. changed plugs and wires and made carb adjustments and same thing happens ..

anybody on here ever have this happen ?

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
Are you running a stock setup, ie clutches, gearing, carbs, carb needles, etc? I found starting from stock helped. I made the mistake of changing too many things from the start. Also, how does it run with the powerjets only turned out 1/2 turn?

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
hey guys

after fighting with this turbo for a long time .. i wont bore you with everything i went thru i finally have the turbo on the sled ... and it even runs now too ( for now lol ) my first 2 test rides in the field went good but i blew the rave valves apart after the first time i tried silicone .. same thing .. so i am trying to do a better job this time .. i currently have it set to run 3 psi and it seems to pull hard and make boost .. if the rave valves hold together ill have some video of it running in the morning .. i now have an adjustable wastegate and a manual boost controler so if it runs good at 3 psi i can try a little more .. i went and bought a lower compression head even though i probably didn't need one because at the time i though id be less likely to blow it up if i lowered the compression ratio .. that might be true but ill likely feel it in the low end .. if its to bad i can always swap back to stock .. still not to sure what kind of boost i can expect to run on this set up before i run into issues .. what kind of boost will the crank seals hold ?

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
I've pressurized my case to 10 lbs when I was checking for leaks. It held pretty steady for a minute or two. Now when the sled is hot and the grease in the crank bearings becomes less viscous, that may affect the outer seal pressure. But it doesn't seem to when I'm riding.

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
ok makes sense, i don't think ill ever make it that high.. on purpose anyway lol .. was out for a little rip on it today and its really not running to well but i am hoping that it is just the carb set up and i am suppose to have a guy to help me with that on friday

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
i think the charge tube may have come off in part of that video .. it was running good and then fell on its face .. i need to remake one that is about an inch longer .. so i know that i am making boost as i have blown my rave valves apart twice, them seem to be holding now that they are siliconed .. and i can feel it come onto boost also .. is there any reason that my blow off valve would not be blowing off .. its hooked up to a vacume line iv just never heard it yet .. i was only running 3 psi .. and im going to 6 tomorrow

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
theres a lot of things ur doing wrong, but noone is helping u anymore because u havnt listened to anyone. a stock sled would destroy your sled

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
well that was before and this is now .. but if you dont want to help me thats fine that doesn't mean i'm going to give up i will still figer out how to get this sled running it will just take longer .. in the beging i did not want to run av gas because i new nothing about it i have since found a local source for it and have 50 liters of it outside in my garage ready to go .. when i had first bough the turbo and it was never even on the sled i was going to try to run a pump gas turbo .. that was months ago and and my build is on another forum because i was getting hacked up here for not wanting to run av gas, im sorry if you feel like you dont want to help anymore my intent was never to piss anybody off .. i just didn't think id need it at the time . and if i run low enough boost i wouldn't need it but who wants to run 3 psi when you can run 6 right .. anyway im not going to fight with you thru a comp screen man .. sorry you feel that way and you can unfollow if your not interested in helping at all

Premium Features