• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rino and BCA radio

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
I have no problem with my rino 650 and my bc link they just have to be on the same channel. We use channel 20-1 with one group and channel 5-2 for the other group

W

willgeorge

Jun 19, 2011
Parshall, ND
i havent had any issues with them connecting to each other. 4 in my group have rhinos, 2 of us have BCA Links, and the others have basic motorolas. just make sure we are all on the same channel, also we make sure to hold the button for an extra second before talking as to not cut off the first few words.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Same here, several of us have Rhinos and a couple have BCA Link radios and no issues with communications between the two.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
OPPOSITE

Only issue is that the Rino has BETTER range with HIGHER POWER.

I have actually seen the opposite, as the Rhino's peeter out. The BC LINK consistantly can be heard by the rhinos, but the rhinos cannot be heard by the BC LINK or very static when the distances increase. This is especially true with the previous generation rhino. i have talked BC LINK- BC LINK over 4 miles through mountain timber, which i think is very impressive.

W
Mar 10, 2010
All FRS radios are limited to 1/2 watt output. Differences in range may be due to differences in the radios fixed antenna efficiency.

Correct but GMRS frequencies are allowed to operate up to 2 watts in canada and up to 5 in the US.

Best to do your research and run on the frequencies that allow you to run at a higher power. Rhinos will limit automatically and show you on the readout screen.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I have actually seen the opposite, as the Rhino's peeter out. The BC LINK consistantly can be heard by the rhinos, but the rhinos cannot be heard by the BC LINK or very static when the distances increase. This is especially true with the previous generation rhino. i have talked BC LINK- BC LINK over 4 miles through mountain timber, which i think is very impressive.

These 2 way radios are 2 radios in one. Each is a transmitter and a reciever that use the same antenna. Reciever sensitivity and antenna efficiency have as much effect on range as tx power. Maybe more. When recieving a weak signal, moving a few feet in any direction will change the signal strength. I have raised a radio an arms length overhead and the signal went from unintelligible to full quieting. The fcc type accepted radios are all made to a set of fcc specs/rules. Those rules are a one size fits all thing that works well for in town on-site comms. Doesnt work so well for casual rural recreational comms. Unless you understand the rules and work them to you advantage.
The frs/gmrs combo units usually have 22 channels. 1 - 14 are frs, no license. 15 - 22 are gmrs, license reqired. 50 watt limit, no limit on antenna gain. (License is $65 for five years, covers your whole family out to cousins.) 1 - 7 are shared with gmrs, 5 watts for licensed gmrs users.
Frs is .5 watts, no removable antennas, no license. No one or very few care about the fcc rules. However, the fines are usually horrendous, in the 10s of thousands. You can take your chances.

Where I'm going.... there is equipment that is more capable than the fcc type accepted stuff.(garmin bca ect). If you want better more reliable comms in the backcountry. You will need to ask some questions. Google is your friend. Read some then some more. There is a fair amount of info on this forum. U just need to find and read.
Here are some things to look at.

wiki ctcss, frs, gmrs, frs frequency list, gmrs freqency list, vhf, uhf

amazon, baofeng bf888, ftdi programming cable, speaker mic,

Miklor.com

My advice is that u use only frs/gmrs/murs frequencies. Follow the kiss rule. Be very careful not to cause interference to other users. Above all, stay off of law enforcement/ems/qovt frequencies!

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Correct but GMRS frequencies are allowed to operate up to 2 watts in canada and up to 5 in the US.

Best to do your research and run on the frequencies that allow you to run at a higher power. Rhinos will limit automatically and show you on the readout screen.

That would be 50 watts in the us. With no limit on antenna gain. Also, repeaters can be used. Most dont know that the 8 gmrs channels are really 16 channels or 8 repeater pairs. All 8 channels are paired with another that is 5mhz higher in frequency. Example, 462.55 is paired with 467.55. The higher frequency being the repeater input, lower is the output. Simplex comms on the 467mhz frequencies is forbidden. So, they are not included in the consumer radios.

Jmo... the garmin and bca radios are seriously over priced. I can and have outfitted 6 riders for the cost of one bca link....better quality radio, audio, simpler to use...

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have both. It seems the Rhino has a little more range but the ease of use with the BCA radio more than makes up for it. I have been very impressed with the range. In the mountains we get over one ridge line easy and sometimes 2 but at most 3. Line of sight is pretty amazing. 15 miles easy. I pick up buddies riding in Gold Creek area when riding clear across I90 at Stampede Pass.
Having the controls on the speaker mic is such a great way to make a radio. Radio in the top of your pack. Speaker mike attached to your pack strap. I use retractible gear tethers for the mike so I dont have to clip and un clip it.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I never unclip the mic. Just turn my head and tip my helmet down so that the mic is nearly touching my chin. Speak at a normal volume. As if you were talking on an old wired phone. But, that is my mic. Yours maybe less sensitive.

Your garmin, depending on model, will tx 5 watts on the upper 8 channels. That would explain the extra range. Tx power is a little different.... doubling hp on your tractor will come close to doubling the work that it will perform. Not so much with radio output. Doubling output will not double comm distance. Maybe a 10 - 20% increase.

I have explained this before.... once more. Radio frequency energy at vhf/uhf frequencies travels through the atmosphere much the same as light.
Imagine the world completely dark. The antenna on your radio as a light bulb. Seeing the light is the same as hearing the radio signal. Terrain features will block light. And radio signals. Another thing to consider. Does your radio have 20 - 15 vision or a serious case of cataracts.

Consumer blister pack radios and garmin rinos, bca links ect, have crappy antennas as required by the fcc.

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM
BCA has settup the newer avy packs to hold the radios in an upright position because they say that the antennas facing all the same directions makes their signals a lot strong and radios work cleaner. They also put them in the back of the pack so the electronics won't interfere with your avi beacon in the front.

Premium Features