• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to tune my 1st xp-t garret carb?

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Plugging the whole in the cap will be easy enough, but how are you planning on plugging the one behind the slide, or can it be left open?

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
This is how I set up my carbs. As per Gus. I had a spare set. And yay it idles good now with 15 pilots and 2.25 turns out. 14.7 -15 af. The warmer it gets the richer it seems to get at idle as well. I had it up to 165 coolant then shut we down. What coolant temps are ideal?

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
Also, anyone running an r&d turbo kit should note that the instructions say to tee the bov nipple to boost. If u put boost to that side of the bov it will cancel or at least act against the boost on the other side which is supposed to open it. If u suck on the nipple of the bov u will see it opens and if u apply pressure to it, it will put more force holding it shut. I would believe that nipple should see vaccum to open it. I have mine hooked to vaccum and it holds it open at idle. As soon as u blip the throttle vaccum is lowered and it closses very quick

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
Well, I took it out today and it was great otherwise than a couple loose ends. Coolant cap on head came off. Throttle cable was too slack and forgot to bleed brake. Good thing I was close to truck. Was in about 1 ft fresh and it's response is about the same as a stock sled as far as I can tell right now. I had it at 6psi and did a couple 3/4 throttle bursts wow. Trying to break it in easy is not so easy. A/f was all over the place showing really lean so I just went by egts. I was getting about 1150 max and staying around 1050 cruising I'm runnin straight av and I think I'll stick w that prior to my original plan. Not gonna lie, that bov sounds really cool too

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
well, I had it out today, after being at work for a week. it runs amazing. throttle response in any position is instant and there is no noticeable lag. im runnin 6 psi for breakin right now. the only issue was on long pulls it would pull hard and hold 8000rpm but then it would start to hesitate a bit and I let off right away when this would happen. as soon as I let off the throttle response was right back. I think its rich a bit at wot but was nervous to lean it out because my egt quit on me and I don't really trust my a/f guage. my egts on trail were about 1200 and that was kinda babying it to keep it under 1200 then the a/f guage quit. a/f is 16:1 ish if I let it coast down a hill. on trail it's around 14.5:1 if im takin it real easy then gradually as I increase throttle it will lower to 13:1 ish. if im at a stand still and pin it, itll go to 11.5:1 then go all haywire. I included a vid and pic of a spark plug taken out shortly after a 8 sec or so pull.

im really grateful to all the pple who answered all my questions and helped me with this thing especially gus bohne who has taken a lot of time to aswer my texts.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Couldn't hear the sled very often. Sounded good when I was able to. I occasionally run into the rich issue you are referring to when in those type of conditions also. I think a good cold air intake would fix it. Only shows on pulls where you basically have the sled submerged in snow.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
had the sled out for some testing today. fixed the pyros. need a lot more clutch weight as im on clicker 1 and shockwave helix fully turned in and hitting rev limiter constantly. I already added flyweight but ill have to try the othe pins that came w the kit as they seem heavier than stock. fueling seems pretty good though. it'll go over 1200 on 1/8-1/4 throttle if I let it. what is safe cruise egts? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Y8AIcC6Yk

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
had the sled out for some testing today. fixed the pyros. need a lot more clutch weight as im on clicker 1 and shockwave helix fully turned in and hitting rev limiter constantly. I already added flyweight but ill have to try the othe pins that came w the kit as they seem heavier than stock. fueling seems pretty good though. it'll go over 1200 on 1/8-1/4 throttle if I let it. what is safe cruise egts? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Y8AIcC6Yk

FYI, when you turn the shockwave IN it decreases the helix angle. When you turn it OUT it increases the angle. Turn it out 2-3 full turns and see where you are for rpms...

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
I'm pretty confident I have it dialed now largely in thanks to gus bohne and all others who gave advice. I shimmed up the choke lever with a paper clip for the 26km trail ride (my idea) and it seems to work very well lowering egts by 80 degrees f. im going to continue to run 6psi this yr as I now have to do other upgrades for more power. over the summer I will make alum a arms that are 3" forward like skinz. I will also copy skinz arc remote coupling to cure the excessive ski lift I now have which I think is an awesome innovation. the other upgrades id like to do will be a w/a intercooler, running boards, 3" track. here's a vid. it doesn't look steep and deep kus it starts partly up the hill, but it is, I can assure u. I was riding with a friend on a cat 1100 turbo which he said was 220hp. it would not even come close to what I could do!!!! big bores are a joke compared to turbos!!!!!!!!!!!! dont even try to compare!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5WOflCW0A&feature=youtu.be

G
Apr 23, 2008
glad your having a good time with it Mike.
I see that left index finger kinda lives on the brake lever.!! Is that a mx rider trait bro ? its not a clutch..lol

whats so kool is knowing your only at ( get ta know ya boost ) 6 psi and its still climbs hard..
your gonna love 15.. No limits with a garrett.. only thermal and strength..AWSOME fun.

It was great to work with you , you have a great understanding of simple,, never leave you stranded CARBS..not sexy but always there and always working..

Gus

Premium Features