• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My new Sled build

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
more than i'd like to admit... but you cant put a price on fun.. and after getting my third ride in yesterday it is worth every penny!

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Hey Jkinzer, what is the update on your sled? How is it running this year and do you like your mods you did to it? Tried to climb any cliffs lately?

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i love it! ate a piston skirt a few weeks back and had to put a new motor in it. other than that its been trouble free for 800 miles this season. (not from deto just a bad piston, only had 200 miles on a brand new top end, but its the first motor issue in 6 thousand miles so i can't complain)all the mods over the summer made a night and day difference over last years sled. its amazing how much more fun i'm having running low boost 7-9lbs this year compared to the 12-15lbs i've ran in the past few years. here's a little video of yesterday running 7.1 psi
video

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
here's a couple climbs from a few weeks ago, again running 7lbs of boost

were finally getting some serious snow, rode 5 out of the last 6 days and can't wait to go back again on wednesday!

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
i love it! ate a piston skirt a few weeks back and had to put a new motor in it. other than that its been trouble free for 800 miles this season. (not from deto just a bad piston, only had 200 miles on a brand new top end, but its the first motor issue in 6 thousand miles so i can't complain)all the mods over the summer made a night and day difference over last years sled. its amazing how much more fun i'm having running low boost 7-9lbs this year compared to the 12-15lbs i've ran in the past few years. here's a little video of yesterday running 7.1 psi
video

Sorry to hear about the blown motor. What do you think of running wisesco pistons over stock oem? Do buy into the stock pistons have to much slop, out of spec tolerances causing the skirt to break off theory on the 4 CFI 800 motors? I am debating on weather to run those on my 08 bd dragon.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i do buy into it... i dont think its all the pistons but i would definitely say that my failure was due to too much slop allowing the piston skirt to slap when it came around until it finally broke off. i have the oem pistons in it now as thats the way it came from the factory, but my next set of pistons will be some jack struthers turbo pistons, i'm not going to risk it again

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Kinz, your IQ was one of only two I've drooled over.......the second rendition is making me drool all over again! Very well put together and hope your engine troubles get cured soon enough. That sled looks like it's hella fun!

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
i do buy into it... i dont think its all the pistons but i would definitely say that my failure was due to too much slop allowing the piston skirt to slap when it came around until it finally broke off. i have the oem pistons in it now as thats the way it came from the factory, but my next set of pistons will be some jack struthers turbo pistons, i'm not going to risk it again

I am interested in these turbo pistons. Where do I find more info at?

Last edited:

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
JK-we were seeing an average of .0065" skirt clearance on those engines-insanity! it tightened up a tad with the 2010 piston but we ended up sending the cylinders off to get the clearances tightened up more before they were assembled and had no issues with the cast oem pistons after. Looks like you are having fun with the old girl!

Curt

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
JK-we were seeing an average of .0065" skirt clearance on those engines-insanity! it tightened up a tad with the 2010 piston but we ended up sending the cylinders off to get the clearances tightened up more before they were assembled and had no issues with the cast oem pistons after. Looks like you are having fun with the old girl!

Curt

Curt,

Are the cylinders out of spec or the pistons? Did you just have the cylinders re-nickeled to match the pistons? Have you put in the wisecos, or the turbo pistons from Carls Cycle? Just trying to do some preventive maintenance on my sled and wondering what you recommend?. BD 08 800 Dragon.

Thanks, Dustin

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Haven't seen a need for anything other than stock...as long as the clearance is good.(and you stay on top of your tune! detonation is brutal on cast pistons! or any piston for that matter)

We were re-nicasiling the cylinder to tighten up the clearance. We have a couple thousand boosted miles now on those set ups with no issues. The pistons were consistent-cylinders were consistently loose, so be sure and check yours!

Curt

Premium Features