• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

**NEW - 509 Evolution Snowmobile Helmets: More Info & Photos

J

John Peck

Jan 9, 2008
Pierre
When will you guys learn? 509 is not a storefront, they are an internet marketing company. They are doing a pre-order so they know how many helmets to make. They do not answer the phone because they are not a retailer that has regular hours and service. Why on earth would you buy a first year helmet from a company that does not manufacturer helmets? They are very good at knocking off another companies product and adding 509 graphics. They are not a manufacturer. Buying a helmet over the internet without even knowing how they fit is well...stupid. It is your head! Go to your local retailer and try on helmets from companies who really make helmets. They are experts, they can explain what type of headshape you have and features and benefits. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SNOW SHOPS! do you all want retailers to go away to the point where everything you purchase is over the internet? So you can buy site unseen?

Is it Snell 2005? Snell 2010? Snell 2010 is the new standard.....only a handful of helmet companies are Snell 2010 registered. What is it made of? How does it fit? does it comes with anything? does it have more than one set of cheekpads? Is it an Asia headform or American? Who makes it for them? Does it have a warranty? where do you send it if you have an issue?

Sharpen up people....this is a safety issue not just something that looks cool....[/QUOTE

What you showed up here looking for a fight? Well grow up. If you got a beef with some one or a question just PM them befor you go off on somebody you dont even know. And as for being a rep for anothere company,You now better then to come in here and bash. It just comes around to bite ya in the A**. Toms a great guy and his products are great to. Hope you get the chance to try his product some time. Sorry about the rant, Just like his stuff is all. Hope every one ells likes there to. Let it snow!!!!!!!!!!!:D

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
Got a package today so looks like mine came in. But i can't even look at it for another 6 days, stupid work.

B
Jan 26, 2008
Hey Tom I know your busy and all that jazz but I need you to add some polarized lenses to my order I have sent a few emails over the past 2 weeks since I placed my order and ive tried to call you this week with no luck. Im not bashing anyone here so dont attack me Snowesters I realise its snow show season and you are very busy I just want all my stuff to come at once and this is a last resort to get to you. You responded to my first email last night with answers to the questions I asked about the product but shortly after I sent that email I decided to go ahead and order based on excelent reviews from sledders who own your products. If your so busy that emails and phone calls can not be answered over a period of a couple days I think It would put alot of your customers at ease including myself if you hired someone at least seasonaly to get back to people but thats just my opinion I am not in your shoes so I dont know. From what I hear you make a premium product that I will be very happy with and thats why I am being patient. I look forward to seeing my 509 helmet and I hope you can respond to me soon. I you see this please email me @ brad240780@hotmail.com.

B
Feb 18, 2009
I got mine, looks good, fits good. I like the fit with the goggles, should work great in the snow. I also bugged Tom a few times, and always got back with me, seems like a good company and I will be buying more in the future!

I
Jan 13, 2008
That is a very interesting and extremely uneducated post. 509 is far from an internet marketing company. We are RIDERS, who ride more than 95% of the people out there. As a result we know what works and try to improve upon what doesn't. You would be hard pressed to find a company that lives and breaths sledding more than 509.

As for the helmets, no we don't manufacture these onsight, but neither does Fly, Fox, or almost any of the 200 other major brands. Truth be told, there is a handful of helmet manufacturing companies in the world. The one we chose has been around for more than 35 years. Snell? Don't get me started on the legitimacy of Snell. Do you want the independent report that pitted high end Snell helmets against low end, sub $100 models???

To address your other concerns....

Is it asian fit? Get real. Try one on and see if a more comfortable helmet exists on the market.

Warranty. Full 1 year warranty, lifetime visor replacement warranty. Who else does this visor warranty? NO ONE.

Warranty issues. Send it back to us. Oh yea, we'll even pay your shipping.

Judging from your posts I see you appear to be Klim rep. So thank you for your unbiased opinion

Notice how I didn't mention any other helmet brands? Never mentioned Klim did I? Uneducated? I have forgotten more about helmets than everyone at 509 knows..all 2 of you. One year warranty? At least 3 brands I know are 5 year. Do you really want to go into Snell/ECE/Snell 2010...EPS/shell sizes? We can go there if you like? Visor warranty? good helmets come with 2 visors stock. Your helmet is light because it is DOT...if it was Snell 2005/ECE/Snell 2010 it would be heavier. My guess is 509 can't afford to get any Snell approval much less 2010 approval. PS. If I started a helmet company tomorrow I could ask DOT to send me stickers and be good to go. Fly/Fox? ahh...more brands that don't make helmets. My goal here is simply educate sleds guys that ride cheap unsafe helmets....$10,000 sled and a $99.95 helmet, just doesn't make sense. Just make sure you are telling people about the helmets construction and safety...not that is a rad color/great fit/looks cool...sleds guys ride hard/go fast and hit **** on 500lb machines...never see a C class MXer or a CRA road racer on a DOT helmet do you? Should sled guys/gals be any different? Good luck..

I
Jan 13, 2008
When will you guys learn? 509 is not a storefront, they are an internet marketing company. They are doing a pre-order so they know how many helmets to make. They do not answer the phone because they are not a retailer that has regular hours and service. Why on earth would you buy a first year helmet from a company that does not manufacturer helmets? They are very good at knocking off another companies product and adding 509 graphics. They are not a manufacturer. Buying a helmet over the internet without even knowing how they fit is well...stupid. It is your head! Go to your local retailer and try on helmets from companies who really make helmets. They are experts, they can explain what type of headshape you have and features and benefits. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SNOW SHOPS! do you all want retailers to go away to the point where everything you purchase is over the internet? So you can buy site unseen?

Is it Snell 2005? Snell 2010? Snell 2010 is the new standard.....only a handful of helmet companies are Snell 2010 registered. What is it made of? How does it fit? does it comes with anything? does it have more than one set of cheekpads? Is it an Asia headform or American? Who makes it for them? Does it have a warranty? where do you send it if you have an issue?

Sharpen up people....this is a safety issue not just something that looks cool....[/QUOTE

What you showed up here looking for a fight? Well grow up. If you got a beef with some one or a question just PM them befor you go off on somebody you dont even know. And as for being a rep for anothere company,You now better then to come in here and bash. It just comes around to bite ya in the A**. Toms a great guy and his products are great to. Hope you get the chance to try his product some time. Sorry about the rant, Just like his stuff is all. Hope every one ells likes there to. Let it snow!!!!!!!!!!!:D

No bashing, everything in that post is true. Tom may be a great guy...not passing any judgement on him personally.

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
509 Helmet

Let me start by saying, I am not a helmet expert. I understand DOT, Snell but am by no means a expert.

We sell Klim, HJC, Thor, Moose, Z1R, and AFX helmets. We just picked up 509, I did notice that 509 is DOT and not DOT/Snell.

I went through our helmet section to see what is DOT and Snell. Several manufactures make their helmet in both DOT/Snell and DOT only. A lot of the youth helmets are only DOT.

I would be great if every helmet made was DOT, Snell, and [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]ECE-2205 approved, but they are not, I think it comes down to cost. I was talking to our Klim rep and he mention a newer European rating that may be coming.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Some people shop for looks, some people shop for brand, some people shop for rating, some people cannot afford a $400 Klim helmet, and some people would rather not wear a helmet. So I think what this comes down to is personal preference not lack of knowledge. My only other point is this, if some of the other brands would cater to the people who only shop by looks, thus do a better job of making a cool helmet they may have a bigger market. 509 makes a cool looking helmet, I sold several at the Salt Lake show and think we can sell a lot of his products in the future, not only because the look good but because they fit good and the goggles fit the helmet great also. Not a sales pitch, just my observation.

Thanks
Mark

03rmking

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2004
Spokane, WA
www.509films.com
Notice how I didn't mention any other helmet brands? Never mentioned Klim did I? Uneducated? I have forgotten more about helmets than everyone at 509 knows..all 2 of you. One year warranty? At least 3 brands I know are 5 year. Do you really want to go into Snell/ECE/Snell 2010...EPS/shell sizes? We can go there if you like? Visor warranty? good helmets come with 2 visors stock. Your helmet is light because it is DOT...if it was Snell 2005/ECE/Snell 2010 it would be heavier. My guess is 509 can't afford to get any Snell approval much less 2010 approval. PS. If I started a helmet company tomorrow I could ask DOT to send me stickers and be good to go. Fly/Fox? ahh...more brands that don't make helmets. My goal here is simply educate sleds guys that ride cheap unsafe helmets....$10,000 sled and a $99.95 helmet, just doesn't make sense. Just make sure you are telling people about the helmets construction and safety...not that is a rad color/great fit/looks cool...sleds guys ride hard/go fast and hit **** on 500lb machines...never see a C class MXer or a CRA road racer on a DOT helmet do you? Should sled guys/gals be any different? Good luck..

I don't know you from a hole in the wall, so I won't question your knowledge on helmets. I just find it in very poor taste to come on a competitors thread the way you did. Being that you appear to 'represent' a competing brand you can see where your bashing comes off as a bit biased and poorly placed. But that's just my opinion. What I take offense to, is questioning 509 as a snowmobile company. If I didn't have a passion for this sport I wouldn't be in the industry. I do this for the love of the sport. So if you want to question my legitimacy as a true snowmobiler, I openly invite you to a friendly ride in my neck of the woods. If you're not interested, pick up Revolution and see what we do every weekend.

Again, it's an open invite, hope to see you out there.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
No bashing, everything in that post is true. Tom may be a great guy...not passing any judgement on him personally.

Welcome to the red...Here is my red apples for you...and exactly what I wrote to you...

tasteless slamming of a VERY qualified vendor, who makes GREAT stuff...dont like it, dont post...yoru not consumer reports!!!...MTdream

Completely tasteless with more than half your posts coming on here bashing (and yes you are, regardless of yoru protest) a VERY reputable vendor on this forum!!! Great product, and great support...

take your bashing back to the the other forums...we dont need it...

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
corrected DOT for Snell in first Paragraph

Do you know why you never see them in DOT? hmmm might have to do with SNELL doing a deal??? hmmm nah, that would be too simple...Rad the article below, and learn...I wonder why the cheapy DOT helmets ALL did better than the Snell helmets in limiting possible brain trauma?? Hmmm, might be worth understanding...

Before you start bashing non Snell helmets you might want to learn more about snell and their process...it is NOT in the interest of people to handle the SNELL standards...there are some fantastic articles that point out that SNEL is NOT looking out for your noodle, they are looking out for their "Foudnation"

educate yoruself prior to trying to bash great products from HIGHLY reputable vendors...and worst case...dont be a loser and hide behind some other screen name...that is a VERY chicken **** thing to do...

Read this article, and you will be better informed...for me, and what I do, I am MUCH safer (as most are) with avoiding SNELL...now you will start blathering on about MX, and other crap, but then you will just be parroting what the SNELL crew has edumacated you on...net net...think brain tissue is soft...snell wants HARD helmets...brains smashing into HARD objects tends to make jello...

learn something, it will help you...and worst case, maybe you will learn you have no class doing what you did to Tom...

VERY loyal customer of 509, got several goggles, got the stickers, and wife is getting me the helmet for Xmas...

Last edited:

03rmking

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2004
Spokane, WA
www.509films.com
So I tested a couple universal breath boxes and found two that fit very well in the 509 helmet...

HJC Breathbox CS-R1 - Part # 12-931 - $7.99
This one fits the best. The velcro attachment isn't as strong as the universal, but still holds well. My overall favorite.

HJC Universal Breath Box - $7.99
This one fits well, almost the same as the above. It has much stronger velcro attachment.

Either of these will work well in the 509 helmet. We will work on producing a similar style breathbox that is made specifically for the 509 helmet for a Fall 2010 release. For anyone who has a 509 helmet we will try and run a special to sell this either at cost or free with a couple bucks shipping. We will then make it standard on all future helmet purchases.

I tested the above breath box with the Aviator goggles in a XL helmet. All 3 fit together very well. It also completely eliminated any outer lens breath fogging that you might get when not in motion.

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
So I tested a couple universal breath boxes and found two that fit very well in the 509 helmet...

HJC Breathbox CS-R1 - Part # 12-931 - $7.99
This one fits the best. The velcro attachment isn't as strong as the universal, but still holds well. My overall favorite.

HJC Universal Breath Box - $7.99
This one fits well, almost the same as the above. It has much stronger velcro attachment.

Either of these will work well in the 509 helmet. We will work on producing a similar style breathbox that is made specifically for the 509 helmet for a Fall 2010 release. For anyone who has a 509 helmet we will try and run a special to sell this either at cost or free with a couple bucks shipping. We will then make it standard on all future helmet purchases.

I tested the above breath box with the Aviator goggles in a XL helmet. All 3 fit together very well. It also completely eliminated any outer lens breath fogging that you might get when not in motion.

i wore the 509 last week, and the helmet was comfortable to wear, i did have a problem of the goggles fogging on me when i was just standing around...that kinda bummed me out...went home and put my breath box in the new helmet...haven't tried it out on the snow yet with this combo, but it looks like it should work if 509 is doing the same thing... keep up the good work of trying to produce stuff for our industry tom!

Premium Features