• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt or clutch Squeal ??

R

ronmexico78

Feb 28, 2008
After i start my 08' D7 dragon i get what sounds like a loud belt squeal like you would hear from your car when its really cold outside from a cold start from a serpintine belt. This sound only happens for the first 30 seconds or so after i start the sled back up at idle RPM. It is happening intermittently when the engine is completely warm. Temperature today was 32 farenheit outside.

This is my first sled and im not very mechanical savvy (thats why i bought a dragon - gas and go baby!) Not sure what this is at all but im sure you guys can help me.

J

Junkshow

Feb 9, 2009
Logan Utah
It sounds like your belt deflection it is on your back clutch there is a little screw with a nut to make it stop you will want to losen the nut and tighten the bolt it should have a allan head on it turn the bolt in just a little maybe a turn and then start it and see if it still making the noise then repeat the process. FYI this will have to be ajusted with a new belt and also as a belt wears. Hope that makes sence and helps ;)

M
Sep 4, 2007
Minnesota
It sounds like your belt deflection it is on your back clutch there is a little screw with a nut to make it stop you will want to losen the nut and tighten the bolt it should have a allan head on it turn the bolt in just a little maybe a turn and then start it and see if it still making the noise then repeat the process. FYI this will have to be ajusted with a new belt and also as a belt wears. Hope that makes sence and helps ;)

right on.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Get a used scotch brand pad "greenie" and lightly rub the inside sleeve where the belt is squeezed by the primary clutch. Rub in a circular motion.

You can do this to the belt.

Could be the belt has rubbed off on the clutch housing or the belts is burnt and the greenie will remove the issue.

Easiest thing to do during the season.

After the season is over ... during summer sux ... pull the cluch and have it balanced checked out by INDY DAN or 1200PSI .

Don

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
ok, I had the same problem on my 08 700 RMK.
Belt deflection was spot on.
Clutch alignment was spot on.
I had smoked a belt a while back.
Seems that the primary was binding up. I had overheated the primary and the bushings had expanded a little. It wasn't allowing the clutch to fully open back up and release the belt.

Check the following.
Belt deflection.
Clutch alignment.
clean the primary with a scotch bright.
Also check belt clearance. that is with the sled off check the clearance between the belt and the side of the primary. If the clearance is correct, replace the belt. If it's not ok or non-existant, then pull the primary and send it to IndyDan. He rebuilt my clutch and it works better now than when it was new.

Premium Features