• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro oil drain issues

T
Dec 2, 2007
I've got one ride in on my new T'Nytro and the biggest concern I had going into it was this oil drain issue. My sleds tend to spend a fair amount of time upside down as I almost always prefer to roll them out of stuck situations.

So I packed along a spare quart of oil. Sure enough, I dropped the sled on its side and before I could get it back on it's skis, the oil dumped.

Last night, I added a fuel filter to the oil drain line to help slow down the oil loss. I'm interested in what ideas you guys have come up with.

I don't even want to get into why Yamaha let this design rational go to production.

T
Dec 2, 2007
I'm thinking about putting a 1/4" hose reducer on the hose that comes off the bottle and then run the 1/4" line directly down behind the resevoir and out the bottom. Maybe even add a 1/4" fuel filter close to the top of the res to substantially slow down the drainage.

I think that if the sled is on it's left side, no oil will drain cuz of the design of the bottle. If the sled is on it's right side, the oil would only partially fill the vent line until the levels in the hose and tank would equalize. And if upside down, you'd get a little more in the vent line but the same thing would happen when the oil levels again equalize.

Hmmmmm......

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'm going to add length to the hose coming off the tank, and run it vertically down to the bottom of the reservoir, S-turn it back up and to the airbox. I might lose a few ounces at a time doing that, but at least I won't dump out enough to have the low oil light on.

Other thoughts:
For when I WANT to roll it or put it upside down for a length of time, I thought about putting a remote "shutoff" lever near the bars that I can activate through mechanical linkages squeeze the hose or turn a valve securing the flow of oil out of the hose. Only drawback is that you would HAVE to remember to return it to normal ops when you started it again. Maybe a relay involved to keep it from running while the valve was secured (yeah, another failure point tho!).......

SOMEBODY at Yamaha should hang for this piss poor design. Wonder if the EPA knows how many quarts of engine oil have drained in the mountains this winter through this debachal.

B
Mar 10, 2008
MB
Yeah i have to agree with you people on that, roll the sled and u have oil everywhere. I do like the idea of putting a fuel filter somewhere on the hose because it would still be able to breathe but yet the filter would definatly hold the oil back because i know it even takes fuel a little while to go through that mesh.

R
Nov 26, 2007
COSTCO
i find it doesnt dump all that much out when the sleds off . I m thinking about intalling a teather so i can kill the sled as soon as it tips . i dont really care about a little oil any more and im tried of shoving out my sled while my buddies on revs just roll theres over and there off . does any one know if theres an after market oil tank yet ? mabey some one could build one thats light weight and wont dump oil out .

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
The problem with a filter is that there is always some moisture and with cold it could freeze, if that happen's it will blow something off shortly after a cold startup, maybe valve cover gasket or an oil line

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
I am new to my nytro, can someone expain to me where this oil is coming from when it is tipped on its side. thanks

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
Apex and Nytro oil dumping issues come from the crankcase breather line. On the Apex you will notice a slice deliberately made into the line a few inches from the opening. This is just in case the end fills with snow and freezes. It can then breathe through the cut. Genius to think of that one. So I tried the filter option with an loop in the line. Eventually settled on the loop in the line with no filter due to the freezing issue. The apex actually had a crankcase kit available aftermarket that would eliminate this issue, but it was expensive and I dont remember who makes it. Seems like it was around $400 or so. MPI? Can't remember.
BB

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I roll my sled all the time and have just learned to live with it. I can usually roll it 3-4 times before the low oil light comes on. I just top it off at the house while checking over everything else. I do carry an extra quart though.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Apex and Nytro oil dumping issues come from the crankcase breather line. BB

I cant see the breather line on my Nytro...where is it routed?

Also, on mine, the oil tank breather line has been extended to up under the steering post just in front of the fuel tank breather fitting. It has foam stuffed in the hose (3/4" hose)...been upside down several times and only get a little bit out of the hose. Have checked the level regularly, only had to add about 1/4 cup so far.

modsledr

T
Dec 2, 2007
that's because on a stock Nytro, the breather line dumps directly into your air filter box. Perhaps you ought to check your air cleaner if you've rolled your sled a few times.

What a great sled ... what a stupid problem to have to deal with. :mad:

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
that's because on a stock Nytro, the breather line dumps directly into your air filter box. Perhaps you ought to check your air cleaner if you've rolled your sled a few times.

What a great sled ... what a stupid problem to have to deal with. :mad:

i saw your ty post on this.

how much extra hose did you add?
and what size (diameter).
I wanna give your shot a try..

my hose currently just comes off the top of the tank and goes forward and down and dumps almost into the vent in the plastics...
had it on its side yesterday and lost enough to go from the "H" line to the "L" line...enough that I thought I had actually broke the bottom of my tank when i saw it pouring out!

I like the idea of going "up" from the tank slightly, and then a horizontal length and down.. I'll even dump it right out of the hole in my better boards. :p haha

just need some dimensions if you, or others can give me an idea.. otherwise I guess i can do some measuring. lol

3? maybe 4 feet? 3/4" hose?

so now, is it better to DUMP oil into the earth than it is to burn oil and dump it into the air (4s vs 2s)....hahaha =\
Get with it you noob Yamaha engineers...wow...

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Mine has a sweet little bottle mounted to catch the oil and then it runs back in to the reservoir when the sled is righted.

Call an MCX dealer and see if you can buy the bottle.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Mine has a sweet little bottle mounted to catch the oil and then it runs back in to the reservoir when the sled is righted.

Call an MCX dealer and see if you can buy the bottle.

yeah i do like the mcx setup.. why is that so hard for someone to make, a light plastic jobby would do just fine.. sheesh

T
Nov 7, 2008
I've got an idea about this, we use a catch can on our quads that should work to remedy our problem. Its an air oil seperator from the yfz450 fourwheeler. I have a couple of them kicking around I'll have to see how I can mount it and where we can run the oil back into the res.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
I've got an idea about this, we use a catch can on our quads that should work to remedy our problem. Its an air oil seperator from the yfz450 fourwheeler. I have a couple of them kicking around I'll have to see how I can mount it and where we can run the oil back into the res.

what year of yfz450, a person could look on a microfiche and order it. I think its a good idea.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
I may have an idea, would a coolant tank off of the nytro's work, I looked on a microfiche and its only $13.00. I am not at my sled right now but would one of those fit down by the brake somewhere. A person could run the oil breather hose into it and it would still breath because of the little overflow holes that are in it. If it gets filled with oil from a roll over a person could take it off and pour it back in. Just a thought, what do ya think.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
FYI:
I measured the hose.

Its 3/4" OD, ~9/16" ID.

Going to get a connector and few feet of hose and see what happens, having it go 'up' first in an arc has got to help compared to what i had...straight down.

on the plus side, my skis sure looks nice n shined up w/ a good coat of oil... haha

Premium Features