• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moving to Utah -- Where to Ride

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
My wife has just been offered a great job in Salt Lake City, so we will be moving out to Utah within the next couple months.

We are looking at living in the Heber City / Midway area. Can anyone tell me the riding areas around there? Will I be able to ride from my house if I live outside the city?

I guess I have many more questions... like will my 800 Renegade be okay in the mountains.... but I will as those later.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

E
Jan 17, 2008
I live in Midway and work in Salt Lake. The commute is not something that is terriable but not something that is great either. This year has been fun with the constant snow and crazy drive home.

In Heber the best know area is Lake Creek, which is great access to the Unita mountains with TONS of riding area. Next near Midway the most popular is Snake Creek which has a little more advanced riding, and backs up to ski resorts such as Brighton and Snowbird areas.

If you want to ride from your home plan on purchasing something either has your own private land, or maybe something up in Timberlakes (cabin like), which has its own access to the Lake Creek Summit area.

Midway is pretty expensive now days, but Heber area is more affordable and probally offers more what you are expecting.

Let me know if that answers all your questions! If you need a riding partner I am always up for a ride.

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.
I have a lot and will build your dream home, my lot is on the side of a mountain. If you REALLY wanted you could ride from there;)

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
I like the way you are thinking.... Although I don't think I can afford to build a new home. And I need to move within the next 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for the quick responses. I will need someone to show me the ropes out there. I am a flatlander from Michigan.

I am looking in the Heber area. I know the commute will be a bear, but I really believe that it will be worth it.

I'll send you guys some messages in the near future. I'll pay for the gas if you show me the riding areas? Sound like a deal????

How deep is the snow there now? And will I be riding in April and May?

R
Jan 13, 2008
Utah
:D:D:D... I think you may be riding in July!:eek::eek: We have a lot of snow a ski resort near by (snowbasin) is reporting 346" of natrual snow this season.. That should give you an idea..

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I like the way you are thinking.... Although I don't think I can afford to build a new home. And I need to move within the next 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for the quick responses. I will need someone to show me the ropes out there. I am a flatlander from Michigan.

I am looking in the Heber area. I know the commute will be a bear, but I really believe that it will be worth it.

I'll send you guys some messages in the near future. I'll pay for the gas if you show me the riding areas? Sound like a deal????

How deep is the snow there now? And will I be riding in April and May?

are you bringing any 18-21 year old daughters with you? ;) i could trade a date with one of them for showing you some riding areas...

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
18-21 year old daughters?? No I don't have any of those yet. And if I did......... well never mind.

Here's another questions. WIll my 136 Renegade do alright out there, or do I need to upgrade to a Summit with a 2" paddle??

And what about my 121? Leave it in Michigan? Are there any Doo dealers in the area?

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
18-21 year old daughters?? No I don't have any of those yet. And if I did......... well never mind.

Here's another questions. WIll my 136 Renegade do alright out there, or do I need to upgrade to a Summit with a 2" paddle??

And what about my 121? Leave it in Michigan? Are there any Doo dealers in the area?

lol it was worth a shot...

leave your 121 i michigan. Sell it off if you can before you get here. You will get more money out of it there. The 136 will be ok, but there will be storms where you wont make it far off the trail with it.

If it were me, i would try and sell both of them in michigan, and then upgrade to a summit 144, or 151 when i got here. Less hassle of bringing the sleds across the US too. With 4-6 weeks before you move here its worth a shot to try and sell them before you get here. Also you could find smokin deals on sleds at the end of march first of april

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.
Dont listen to Phatty he jumps off cliffs...ON PURPOSE:eek:

I would leave them both. IMHO. If you want to ride in the steep & deep I think the shortest I would ride would be a 151 think about it boys. When is the last time you saw a 136 up there? there are a few days I would love a 136 to go huck off. But really would you take a ( no offense B.D.) green flat lander to Snake on a 136. Went there last year with a newbe on a 155 IT SUCKED!

WFO

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
West Jordan, UT
Dont listen to Phatty he jumps off cliffs...ON PURPOSE:eek:

I would leave them both. IMHO. If you want to ride in the steep & deep I think the shortest I would ride would be a 151 think about it boys. When is the last time you saw a 136 up there? there are a few days I would love a 136 to go huck off. But really would you take a ( no offense B.D.) green flat lander to Snake on a 136. Went there last year with a newbe on a 155 IT SUCKED!

I went there a few weeks ago with a detonating Polaris and had a great time :D:D:D

Did you get that GOAT running? You have a kitchen pass, Wyoming it is!!!!!

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Well it seems pretty certain that I need to get a summit then. I've ridden in the mountains twice on rentals and got stuck plenty of times.

So I guess there are dealerships and plenty of sleds for sale out there? I agree that the 121 isn't worth much in the mountains. But it's paid off and has 11,000 miles on it, so it's not worth much here either.

However, it will be a pain to transport sleds 2000+ miles -- I'm bound to have at least 2 flats on the trailer...I could put one in the pickup but we'll see.
I'm pretty stoked about riding in the spring months. Can't wait to get out there.
We are going house shopping in a couple weeks over the weekend. Are there any rental places you could suggest for a day trip? Probably looking in the Heber / Midway area.

Thanks, Steve

F
Jan 7, 2005
Greenville, NC
I'd say sell them in MI, I had a 136 that I could have sold in a heartbeat in MI for twice what I sold it here for. I'd also say it depends on your money situation. If you have the means to afford buying a machine, I'd say go for it. If you think you'll be strapped for cash, then maybe just do what you can with what you've got.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Right,
Well money is always an issue considering we'll be buying a house too. That said, if I can sell the two sleds I have, and buy replacements in Utah, then I won't be losing much altogether.

I'll have to check the swapmeet on this site

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
Well it seems pretty certain that I need to get a summit then. I've ridden in the mountains twice on rentals and got stuck plenty of times.

So I guess there are dealerships and plenty of sleds for sale out there? I agree that the 121 isn't worth much in the mountains. But it's paid off and has 11,000 miles on it, so it's not worth much here either.

However, it will be a pain to transport sleds 2000+ miles -- I'm bound to have at least 2 flats on the trailer...I could put one in the pickup but we'll see.
I'm pretty stoked about riding in the spring months. Can't wait to get out there.
We are going house shopping in a couple weeks over the weekend. Are there any rental places you could suggest for a day trip? Probably looking in the Heber / Midway area.

Thanks, Steve

Steve.... I moved out here to Brigham City in Mid November from the suburbs north of Detroit. I left my 121"s at home and picked up a nice 156" for a good deal out here. Check out KSL.com. Sleds go like hot cakes on there and a bit cheaper then back home for most unless you're looking for a boosted ride.

I still want to go back to pick up the one 136" Lemke 800 Improver to run on the asphalt though!:D

Mike

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Heh, there you go.

We've been looking at some homes in the Timber Lakes area. Apparently this a gated community in the mountains east of Heber City..

Anyone know about the area?? How about a good real estate agent?
Thanks in advance...

Steve

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Heh, there you go.

We've been looking at some homes in the Timber Lakes area. Apparently this a gated community in the mountains east of Heber City..

Anyone know about the area?? How about a good real estate agent?
Thanks in advance...

Steve

if your going to live up there you might want to invest in a tractor for snow removal... 4x4 vehicle and chains too...

your wife must be making good money if your considering the timber lakes area... :devil:

snowrodeo (Andy) is a real estate agent, but i dont know that he deals with the heber area. He probably knows some in the area though.

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
Moving to Utah

I live in Heber and love it. I have to trailer my sled but can get to some great locations within 20 min. Phatty is right, leave both behind and get new ones. If you are new to mountain riding in the west I have seen Phatty do some pretty awesome stuff on a 146 Summit. Let me know when you are ready to ride and I would be happy to join you.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Thanks for the offer Sledgimp. There is no doubt I will be looking for some riding partners, and someone to show me the ropes.

From what I've heard / read about TImber Lakes, there is a plow route through there, so if you can get your driveway clear, you are probably okay. Though I only got that through some email conversations with some agents.

Heber might be a better choice though, it's cheaper, and as you say only 20 minutes from some good play areas. To say the least, I'm excited to be out there -- these are going to be a long few weeks....

T
Dec 1, 2007
Timberlakes is great for riding from your house, but due to its location and topography, you could be adding 20-30 minutes (or more on snowdays) to an already long comunte. Check my website to search for properties on a map: www.lincolncalder.com My dad lives in Midway and loves it.

Premium Features