• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First trip?

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
I'm taking my brother in law for his first trip to the mountains. He has rode sled for several years, but only the flat stuff around No Dak. With all the talk about avalanche conditions, Where would you take him? Bighorns?

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Good way to not answer the question guys. Think he might be looking for ideas of places to ride without avy danger.

stum1967, most anywhere you go is going to have some avalanche danger. Up here in N. Idaho when the conditons are bad, we stay in the trees and off the open slopes that are prone to avy's.

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
I have been riding with an experinced group of guys for 4 years, We ride with the safety stuff and we will be borrowing gear for him to use and he will have a decent sled to ride, I'm just not sure I want to take him some place the conditions are more risky for someone with out any experience in the mountains. I remember my first trip was a learning experience [struggle] and the conditions were nothing like people are talking about now.

M
Dec 1, 2007
Deer Park Wa.
stum1967, I have to agree with devilrmk. Almost everywhere you go out here you need to be on your toes. Wife and I rode Revy the last two days and had some good riding. There are alot of places up there to ride without putting yourself or party at risk as long as you pay attention. Cooke City is also a good place for the type of area you are looking for. Wherever you go have fun and be safe.

turboDS1300

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
The BigHorns!

I'm taking my brother in law for his first trip to the mountains. He has rode sled for several years, but only the flat stuff around No Dak. With all the talk about avalanche conditions, Where would you take him? Bighorns?

Stum,
Sounds like the BigHorns would be a perfect "break-in" trip to get your brother-in-law up to speed on mountain riding. That was my first trip, and although I haven't been back there since, it was still a very good place to familiarize newbie riders without the heightened avy danger of the big mountains.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Everywhere has spots that you need to watch for avy's. Of cource there are lots of places you can go and not worry about it also.

You can take him to Togwotee or the snowies and just avoid the areas that could slide. Keep to the meadows and trees and stay off the highmarker areas and teach him to ride. For a noob in the mountains they will have a blast playing in large meadows. They don't need mountain climbing to have fun.

Premium Features