• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kitty 120 question

J
Nov 8, 2013
Posting this here because I know people here know the answer :)

My blackmagic kitty 120 just died the other day after running nicely for over an hour. It refused to fire up after 20 million pulls. Plug was fouled so I replaced it. It fired right up and idled nicely.

Fired it up last night and let it warm up for 5 minutes. I noticed that the headlight didn't come on but the tail light did. My boy got on, drove 25 feet and it died. I couldn't get it to fire up for the life of me....another 20 million pulls.

I pulled the plug wire and stuck my little finger down into it as I pulled the rope and didn't get a shock.....yes I know, but I wanted to know :))

I figure voltage regulator and maybe ignition spark control module?? Either or? It's clearly an electrical issue.

Just want some thoughts from those who have experience. I know that catman knows :))):face-icon-small-hap

J
Nov 8, 2013
Have to clarify that it will fire up intermittently if I struggle with it long enough, but then die intermittently as well.

Something seems to expand and contract under heat and cold as it has worn out. The kitty is an '03.

I took off the carb bracket last week when it broke off and welded it back together. I may have inadvertently plucked on a connector of sorts in the process of taking off and replacing the bracket.

Last edited:
J
Nov 8, 2013
Update:

I have it figured out and it's a weird one.

There is for some reason a reverse loop through the headlight bulb. When that gets broken the engine will not start and run. My headlight bulb looked fine to the eye but when I took it out and tested it it was blown. Voltage regulator was good. With the headlight bulb blown there was no spark either which sent me on a fruitless wild goose chase.

I replaced the headlight bulb in desperation just to start fixing what I knew was broken and she has been running fine ever since.....

These darn machines are just like women....they do weird stuff for no rhyme nor reason and make you pull the hair out of your own head trying to figure out what is either wrong or what you have done wrong. Then with some seemingly foolish little adjustment they are happy as ever for another little while...:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features