• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

? about trip to the UP

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
A buddy and I are looking into making a trip to the UP. First thought is to fly into Marquette and look for lodge/sled rental in immediate area and ride out of there, OR, would it be better to rent a car in Marquette and drive over to Twin Lakes area and stay/ride there?

We're coming from Wyoming, so not sure if it's worth dragging our mtn sleds all that way, we could be wrong there too.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

T
Jan 9, 2009
What,

Traveling from the promised land of PURE WHITE GOLD, to hang out with us in our over crowded, tree covered playground, you must be plumb nuts.

J/K I would get yourself to Houghton and you can rip it up from there plus they have rentals at Houghton Power sports. Oh and you can leave the beacon and air bag at home.:face-icon-small-sho

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I've never seen a legit mountian sled rental in the UP. all RMK Fan sleds or trail sleds.... So call ahead before you try and rent. If you want to experience what we do making the trip to you, you should drive and bring your own sleds so you can feel the pain of the 20hr car ride haha :face-icon-small-coo

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
M&m or houghton power sports will be the best bet but if your gonna ride for more than 3 days you would pay less in the end if you just drove! Serious man $225 for a sled for 3 days with 2 riders is $1350 you can drive for way cheaper. Just my thoughs maybe money doesn't matter but I ain't in that boat...

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
I know it seems a little backwords, but my buddy is always giving me crap for not wanting to go on a roadtrip, so since we always ride mtns I figured we should change it up, and do something different.
A couple of years ago the summer vacation included spending time from Grand Marais up to Copper Harbor. Although a little rustic at times for the wife, the rest of us loved the area and started thinking about a sled trip.
Although backcountry might not be the right word for it, it seems(maybe wrong here) there is lots of off trail riding possible. Already rethinking the sled rental part.

S

shanny

Dec 4, 2007
Colorado
This thread caught my eye only because I grew up trailering the sleds and heading North from IL to da UP when I used to live back East. I will say that sledding in the UP is definitely a social event bar hopping and fine dining every night but it is expensive. If you're looking for some off trail boondocking, check out KSE guides. My buddy Matt runs the guides and can show you some pretty nice spots. Good luck on your trip and post some sick pictures in the WY and CO section!

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Heading back to northern Wisconsin to visit family and will also be visiting Houghton. Went to collage the and want to also do some sledding. Called a few shops today and some more tomorrow.
I am also torn with sled rental or bring mine. I am leaning towards rental: some of my reasons don't have to re clutch, try something different and don't have other problems. ( I only plan on riding 2 days )
I am looking forward to this.
Btw reports for the trails in Houghton area are really good, M & M report

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Yea trails were pretty good last weekend I was told. My bro-in-law went up and rode from Houghton to Copper Harbor to break in his new '14 RMK. So I'm hoping it only gets better from here on!

OP, I'm not sure what you were were envisioning for a trip, but there are a few chain hotels you could stay at in Houghton and ride from. Usually when I go up, we stay at the Country Inn & Suites in Houghton. They have an access trail that goes to the main trail. From there you can do whatever you want. We usually go south toward Twin Lakes to play off trail. Copper Harbor is a pretty decent trail ride, but its nice country up that way. If you're looking for a cabin instead of a hotel, Krupps Resort has some cabins to rent and I think the Mosquito Inn does too...?

There are other places to ride in the UP too, like Grand Marais area or Lake Gogebic area... I've only ridden the Keweenaw area tho.

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Best advice on lodging especially if your bring wives is to stay at wildlife refuge in south range. It 10 min ride to the goods and your 5 min away from all that houghton has to offer. Staying in twin lakes can be a pain. Most pow days I am never more than 5 miles from town. Its easy, there's stuff to do outside of sledding, and all of the sled shops are close for anything you may need. Make your life easy. Guides are good at kse cool guys but I will show ya around for nada!

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
We appreciate the offer to show us around, and the above link is very helpful. If this all goes down there will be no wives, they say good luck and have a good time. I know u guys have lots of beer back there so that won't be a problem.

Another reason we we're thinking about the Marquette area is my buddy is into riding those fat tire snow bikes(pedal kind), even does some racing at some of the ski slopes in Colorado, something wrong upstairs we know:crazy:. Lately he's been seeing lots of info about the Marquette trails for snow bikes, suppose to be some of the best.

Good trip for him= Sledn-Bikn-Beer
Good trip for me= Sledn-No Bikn-More Beer

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
We have tons of fat bike groomed trail right in houghton. my buds ride them as well! so yet another reason to come here. need a fat bike rental? If dude wants to go to mrqt for the day its an 1 and change away. Stay where the sledding IZ mo betta!

We have more snow, more access, and more to do period. Sledders from marquette come to the keewenaw on the weekend not vice versa. If your gonna make the voyage I would highly encourage you to stay houghton. Its just all around a better choice. Unless of course you want city things like best buy then mrqt has us beat all day!

Seriously though not blowing smoke up yur azz. If yur bud needs a snow bike and guide for the day I am sure one of my buddies will be happy to show him around... There's like a cult of those wierdos up here and I too can call some of them my friends..shhh

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
If you go to Houghton you have to go to the KBC (keweenaw brewing company) in downtown Houghton.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Sledding up there was a blast yesterday. Thanks for letting me tag along.
Houghton PowerSports treated me great. The 600 RMK 144 rental got damaged on Friday and I wanted that sled. They pulled a rental from another branch 80 miles away and to my surprise it was brand new zero miles, came I the crate and was ready to ride at 9 am Saturday morning. Price did not seem to high $250 for the day. You pay that out west for 1 day.
They are getting some snow as I type and the logging trails were well covered, 30 to 40 inches at this time. Total for there season is 115" and counting.
The big thing is that they do not need 70 to 80 inches to have all land mines covered to play.

Last edited:
Premium Features