• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 600 cooling problems

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
Ok i picked up a 02 600 for my son.. he was riding my brother in laws in Feb. and it kept overheating and the guy i bought this one from says he had a hard time keeping it cool also so what i am asking...is there a way to help cool it down short of building and putting a larger u cooler in the back??

thanks for any advise.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
What are the snow conditions being ridden in when the sled was over heating? We have had a few edge sleds and ridden with a few 600's and never had an issue unless on the trail. Drop the scratchers and it clears that up though.. I don't think it's a common problem, but I could be wrong. Check your coolant level and make sure there is no air bubbles in the system.. That's all I got.. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

sledhead Ed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Tyngsboro Mass.
Polaris used to sell a heat exchanger kit for the rear tunnel and had you put a long snow flap on. It was made for edges with a m10 suspension but we would put them on edges and prox for extra cooling.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Didnt the Edge already come with the rear cooler though?? I know the 2 I had, had rear tunnel coolers..

Jason, if you want to try and add a larger tunnel cooler, I have one from an 06 IQ RMK 600.. I think its the same as the Edge, but bigger.. Let me know if you want it..

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
Well it was hard snow scratchers down still over heated...not sure about this sled yet just a rumor that it had a over heating problem...they show 3 diff t-stats for the edge 600 depending on year..just dont want to start off with a overheater..

thanks for the input so far Nick you dont have a longer rear section for this so i can put a 144 on this do you??

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
No, unfortunately I dont.. Most everything I had for an Edge is gone, but I do still have some parts.. Console, steering stem and probably some other random stuff.. If you decide you want to try out this larger cooler I have, let me know..

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I saw one of those factory edge add on coolers on ebay recently, it was nos. Some shop in southern BC but I don't recall the name of the place. Search ebay you might be able to find it.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The water pump probably needs looking at. The nut that holds the impellar backs out with time. That then allows the impellar to contact the metal housing access cover and seize up. All cooling stops at that point.

The water pump belt could also be broken.

The water pump bearings can seize up.

You did not mention how many miles that your sled has. Anything over 2000 miles, should have had the water pump rebuilt at least once.

Is coolant driping out the hole in the bottom of the water pump housing. If so then you need a new water pump seal.

Are you losing coolant from anyplace other than it blowing out the bottle overflow? Like the floor board edge coolers.

Edges have twice the cooling capability as the Pro-Rmks. You don't need any more coolers.

If you can find a bottle that fits and does not melt easily, wedge it in behind the main bottle and insert the bottle overflow tube into this second bottle. Then when you get temporary overheating, this system will reclaim the coolant that otherwise would have been dumped out on the snow.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Take out the thermostat and plug up the bypass for it, more consistent cooling to be had and less chance of overheating. And yes, that extra cooler is practically a must on "trails" and if extending longer.

sledhead Ed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Tyngsboro Mass.
There is no belt on the 600 for the waterpump and the extra cooler that goes between the 2 long coolers is a polaris fix for the 600 edge with a m10. But it also help for any edge that is mostly trail riding hardpacked or ice conditions. Also a long snowflap helps if the sled is putting down the trail or driven at a constant speed and not on and off the throttle constantly to throw snow up on coolers.

Premium Features