• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1100t Starting in reverse

H
Mar 6, 2011
Colorado
Me and another guy i ride with both have 1100t's. About every other time we start our sled it comes on in reverse. I was just woundering if Cat has a fix for this or if anybody is having the same problem. Not that big a deal yet. :nono:please no crying on this thread. :nono: thanks for input in advance

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Mine did the same

It was the reverse sensor magnet. Dealer adjusted it I believe. No more beep beep when starting.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Not to be a smart azz, but are you shutting them off in reverse?

I have a 1100t HCR and no issues like that, but I have no over heating warnings.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Metal filings likely from the gears grinding have collected on the magnet that is on the reverse fork carriage. These debris cause the sensor to think that the reverse magnet is in the reverse position when it isn't.

You can usually make it stop beeping by pressing the reverse button, which will make it try to shift into forward even thought it is already in forward. If that doesn't shut the beeping off you can cycle it into reverse and forward, that will usually fix it. Eventually however it will no longer stop beeping (in a couple hundred miles), it is a very progressive disease.

You have two long term options to fix it. You can take the chaincase apart and clear the magnet, or you can unplug the sensor. The Sensor is underneath the actuator that you remove to add chaincase oil. I took the chaincase apart and cleaned it. The problem came back in 300 miles though, so I unplugged the sensor.

Depending on your dealer they may or may not have any idea how to fix it (by fix I mean unplug or clean, as there is currently no real fix). I'm not sure if there is a point to taking it into the dealer at the moment. I've heard of others mentioning that it can be adjusted, but frankly I don't know what there is to adjust.

There's no official word or service bulletin from Arctic Cat on this problem. About 1/3 of the Turbos seem to have this issue.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
it is filings on the sensor. It is not actually shifted into reverse is it? My reverse had been great. Then I thought i would tighten up my belt deflection. And then I have had a couple issues with it not going into reverse now I have the occasionaly reverse beep at startup but sled is not actually in reverse. If you do a search you can likely just unplug the sensor and reverse for now until cat gets a real fix out.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Even if you shut your sled off while in reverse it is designed to shift back into forward when you cycle the key to start.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Even if you shut your sled off while in reverse it is designed to shift back into forward when you cycle the key to start.

I'm not questioning if it's true, but have you tested it?

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I'm not questioning if it's true, but have you tested it?

I'd pay good money to know how that solenoid works. For example, people say that if you disconnect the solenoid the sled will eventually pop out of forward. This implies that the solenoid is applying pressure to the fork keeping it in forward. If this were true you'd think that it would shift into forward all the way, but people have had it pop out of forward due to it not being shifted all the way into forward.

I myself no longer can shift into reverse. It either grinds or it goes 10 feet and pops out. This started after I cleaned the sensor.

My theory is that the solenoid has a fixed range that it will move, and that range isn't wide enough to shift all the way into forward and all the way into reverse at the same time.

If this is true, which is a huge if, you could have the following conditions:

1) Sled doesn't shift completely into forward or reverse, but far enough into each that it doesn't pop out of either. In this case the reverse works fine as long as the gears mesh up. This is the condition that you want it to be in I guess.

2) Sled is shifted all the way into forward. In this case it doesn't shift far enough into reverse to keep it from popping out. I believe this is the case for my sled, since when I put it together I put it all the way into forward on assembly.

3) Sled isn't shifted into forward enough to avoid popping out under load, but shifts fully into reverse. I think there are an unlucky few who have this problem since when it pops out of forward it destroys the small splines and will no longer shift into forward.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Yes sir just did to verify. Actually when shuting it off while still in reverse I could here it shift back to forward. I then started it and it was in forward.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Yes sir just did to verify. Actually when shuting it off while still in reverse I could here it shift back to forward. I then started it and it was in forward.

Good to hear, I sported a nice black and blue spot from a guy with a new 08 M1000 that thought it automatically shifted back forward when restarted and tried to run me over.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Thats what its designed to do but with these reverse gremlins and until the proper fix comes out from Cat I don't know how much stock I would put into it working proper everytime!

B
starting in reverse

My M1100T has 330 miles on it and just started doing the start up beeps like I am in reverse (but actually am not). I will let the dealer figure it out when go for my first oil change in couple of weeks.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
just unhook the sensor on the back of the chaincase and wait until the fall when you get the new reverse system. Did this on mine and no more false starting in reverse beepers or gauge display headaches.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
reverse beeper has started happening on my sled now...it is not actually in reverse though...it just triggers the beeper....was happening about 4 out of 5 times...

Premium Features