• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WE Needle shocks-Assault Shocks on PRO-RMK

Pol600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
MH,

Do you know if it is possible to simply swap the four existing WE shocks on the Pro-RMK for the four standard/needle shocks from the Assault? (does everything match-up, shock bolt hole locations-etc, between the heavier-duty Assault skid and wider Assault a-arms and the Pro?)

I would imagine a good dealer would give credit toward the existing shocks and replace them with the Assault/needle shocks. I completely see the value that Holz adds, especially for existing/2011 owners. Maybe there is an option though for those of us that haven't picked up our 2012's yet?

thanks
Pol600

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
the ski shocks on the assuallt are 1 " longer . The skid shocks should bolt in no problem.

Pol600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
thanks Gentlemen..I am glad I asked as my dealer told me, last spring, pretty much the exact opposite.

They stated they can swap out the front shocks without issue but both skid shocks would present a major issue. They told me they talked with Polaris. Polaris told them the geometry of the rear skid is different enough between the Pro and the Assault that there would not only be mounting issues, but that the Assault/needle shock would bind/buckle as the spring would bottom before the shock does. I haven't checked but I would imagine the coil springs used with the rear shocks on the Pro and Assault are different as well.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The rear suspension is identical except for the rails at the front where they turn up... This is because of the approach angle diff.

For those of you that are getting the Assault and moving the front arm holes up.. you should not have an issue... but not the other way around.

If you have an assault and are going to order Ice Age rails now or in the future... MAKE SURE to specify that you must have the Assault bend IF you are running the assault skid in the stock mounting holes for the front arms.

The rear shocks will bolt right in.. you will have to take the time to dial in the suspension and learn how the adjustments work or IMO, you are wasting your money on the assault shocks... you are paying for more adjustments and features... Take the time to learn how to use it.

I find it hard to believe that the dealer will give you good credit for the Pro Shocks and swap them out though.

The SLP/TCP WE needles are a great way to go... Otherwise, you would need to send in the shocks to FTX, or Walker Service to have them shimmed shorter.. that might affect the travel of the suspension though... you would probably be $$ ahead to go with the WE Shocks made for the PRO from SLP/TCP.

The Holz Piggyback upgrades for the front do NOT include the Needle feature. (bottoming control/resistance.)

C

ctruck700

Nov 19, 2008
My dealer is willing to change me out to the assault shocks "small fee" on my snowchecked RMK but it seems like the fronts are to long to work. Was wondering why im guessing that it will change the angle of the skies/sway bar or the aproach angle of the track etc. Just double checking cause the deal sounds good since im 270 dry.

Thanks guys this site rocks!!:face-icon-small-win

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
They are too long..

Best bet is to go with the shocks from SLP/TCP in the right length.

That is my experience...

X2,

Correct if I'm wrong, but I thought there was someone that offered some kind of shock modification, where they basically took the Assault shock, shortened them and re valved them to your liking????

But yes, front stock Assault shocks will not just bolt up to a RMK.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I'm going to try the needles with the assault a-arms. Would the shocks performance upgrade be outweighed by the extra width? We'll see... Still not sure why I can't just bolt them on now. Seem like being in the powder it wouldn't be as big a deal to have the extra length :confused:

Premium Features