• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'02 Edge Maximum stud length

E
Oct 15, 2008
I have an 800 '02 Edge w/ the M10 Ace suspension. I just recently stuck a cobra track in it. I was wondering if anyone out there has done the same and run studs (assuming 1.5" studs)? Can you keep the stock track position without trashing the tunnel and coolers underneath (including the auxillary heater in the rear)? Just wondering what I need to buy at the up and coming snow shows!!!

Thanks!!

E
Oct 15, 2008
I already have a 1.352" track on. I didn't ride it but about 2 miles once I put the new track on, but it didn't seem to rub at all. Is that due to the track balooning during higher speeds? If so, I may have issues with the track thats on there now. Let alone stud length. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Very concerned....

E
Oct 15, 2008
I am heading to the michigan grass drags this weekend. I was planning on buying studs then, but I have no idea if this is a good idea or not. Anyone have any support for me? Thanks!!

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
I am a big proponent of studs on flat lander trail sleds, however most people wouldn't stud a deep lug track like yours. If you do choose to stud it, I personally wouldn't recommend going to a 1.5" stud. I'd suggest a 1.325 or even shorter. Bear in mind that your tall lugs will fold over a little on the trail or otherwise sink in, giving your studs a purchase on the trail. I know this sounds counter intuitive. FYI I've thrown 1" studs into the front cooler fins, when the track was a little bit loose. I'd be real nervous with 1.5" studs. Cooler and tunnel damage aside; overly tall studs are also more prone to tear out. Double check your clearances in the front of the tunnel (cooler) and the top of the tunnel front to rear. Also ensure that your tunnel protectors are tall enough. Do you have any rubber scuffs in your tunnel now? That's a nice track you have there, just be careful if you choose to stud it. IMO... Good luck!

I am heading to the michigan grass drags this weekend. I was planning on buying studs then, but I have no idea if this is a good idea or not. Anyone have any support for me? Thanks!!

E
Oct 15, 2008
To date, I have ridden it a total of about 1 to 2 miles on the new track. I totalled the thing last year by blowing through both the front and back cooler (track disintegrated). When I did ride it, there was absolutely no rubbing.

It seems like sound logic that a taller lug would tend to give under torque. If the track is not hitting and the stud is the same height, is it safe to say that a 1.35" stud will work? Has anyone put a 1.35" stud on an '02 edge? If no one has, then I could drop down to a 1.25" and then I should have the added security of the track being taller then the stud. If the worst happens, the track hits first.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
I would think that you'd be ok with a 1.325 stud, from a clearance standpoint. Again, please confirm your tunnel cooler/protectors' height. Yeah those tracks do tend to fly apart when they get old. Same thing happened to my buddy last year. Noticed that you have an extra cooler in the back... is that the low profile Polaris cooler?

To date, I have ridden it a total of about 1 to 2 miles on the new track. I totalled the thing last year by blowing through both the front and back cooler (track disintegrated). When I did ride it, there was absolutely no rubbing.

It seems like sound logic that a taller lug would tend to give under torque. If the track is not hitting and the stud is the same height, is it safe to say that a 1.35" stud will work? Has anyone put a 1.35" stud on an '02 edge? If no one has, then I could drop down to a 1.25" and then I should have the added security of the track being taller then the stud. If the worst happens, the track hits first.

E
Oct 15, 2008
Yes. it is the stock factory auxillary rear cooler. Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated. I am going to see what happens with the 1.325" stud. Should be kick *** if it works. Any preferences on single vs double backer studs? does one tend to pull out easier then another?

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Anytime... Sure, you'll want to use the double backers when you can, as in when you have two studs side by side, as dictated by the number of studs and your stud pattern. For example if you stud the track light, you won't need any double backers at all. Stud mfg's like Stud Boy, Woody's, and Roetin all have studding recommendations, including templates. The goal is to have each stud scratch it's own path. Templates help achieve this although they are not mandatory. Over the years I have found the Woody's Traction Master Gold Diggers to hold up well. All studs are not created equal. I'd also suggest to steer clear of the plastic backers and go with alum. These MFG's should all have websites that you should check out. Oh and make sure you have enough carbide up front to balance all that traction out back. Good luck

Yes. it is the stock factory auxillary rear cooler. Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated. I am going to see what happens with the 1.325" stud. Should be kick *** if it works. Any preferences on single vs double backer studs? does one tend to pull out easier then another?

Premium Features