• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz Protective Gear (SPG) Handlebars

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I posted up some info and got a lot of PM's... so I thought I would post it here.

I am NOT a dealer for SPG nor do I have any of these bars to sell..

This is simply a FYI about a good product that I use.

SPG is a quality driven company that has taken the time to answer a lot of questions on the phone and has come up with some great products.

http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobileproduct.html

They currently have 2" and 4" rise bars with or without bar hooks and, which I think is great... at my request built in mounts for Mountain grab straps.

They will have 6" 8" and 10" rise bars available in August for you guys planning your summer projects.

Available in Black, Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, Orange

These bars are very high quality with deep knurling in the clamp area, all cromoly construction with 5 degree rise and 8 degree sweep for perfect stand up riding feel.

600_Handle_Bars_-_Hooks_Cut.JPG

600_4_Inch_Riser_Bars_Blue.jpg

Pic of my SPG bars with the Stock Polaris Polybar mounted
SPGbars.jpg

There are a few different vendors on the 4M here that sell the SPG products... give em your business!!

SPG's full line of bars...These show the hooked bars, available as straight bars, without hooks, as well

Great for the M-S and Dragons / Assault No extra Block riser needed.

Top to bottom 10", 8", 6", 4", 2"

Without hook, My 4" bar shown
SPGMountainBar-Straight4inch.jpg

Full line, shown with hooks
SPGMountainBars-FullSet2.jpg

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Thanks

MH,
You Rock. I for one really appreciate all the hard work and planning that you pass on here. Someday, I'd really like to buy you a frosty mug.

The only unrepaired damage to my sled is the bars. There not that bad, but....... I've been looking around, planning for summer. Bars and skid plate, and I like SPG's take on both.

Thank you again. r/J

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
How is the chromoly for heat transfer??? Had Fly bars for years, and I am getting to old to deal with luke warm handwarmers....

BTW... for everyone that is going to say you should try this or that... I have tried everything. Time to switch to something else.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
(moved from other post)

Question.
I have the 08 700 polaris. I put the 6" fly bar risers on. That was the most I could go without having to splice everything.
I would like to go another 2". I like to stand upright without any bending over and I just can't do that right now.

Can you get the plugs for the existing wires connecters?
That is to say, rather than splice wire in and solder it in place, is it possible to get a pig tail with the proper end that you can just plug into the existing wiring harness to extend the wires??

I realize you would need 2 (one for each end and then splice those 2 together), but I think it would be cleaner.

I think I will look at the SPG bars.

307 Snow*Moto

Mar 10, 2008
Big Horn, WY
I transfered this from a different thread, meant to post it on the handlebar thread that Mountainhorse moved - sorry

Pro Taper Bars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So not to beat a dead horse, but I have an 06 900 and bent the hell out of my bars earlier this year and I went back and forth about what to do for bars. A really great resource and just an all around incredible shop Woodside Motorsports in Hailey Idaho gave me tons of advice and tons of options. They sent me different bars, stock, fly and pro-taper. I eventually decided on the 7/8" Pro-taper mini-bend and they are so awesome. They are wider than stock, taller stock, and have a better bend than stock. And to my amazement what does Polaris do, put Pro-Taper bars on all the 09's, kind of cool. My .02 is this, the bars suck at heat transmission, they arent even hardly luke warm, I have hand guards and wear great gloves but dam it gets cold sometimes. Im curious how the new pro-taper bars work if they are a blend bar being that the last 6 inches to the ends are cro-moly so the hand warmers work and the rest are aluminum. Its not unheard of if thats the case. From what the Polaris rep at west said was that the new bars will not mount on older sleds without an adapter of sorts bc the bars are so deeply seated on the post. Also the bars already have a rise built into them so it will be a trial and error to see if any of your stock wires will reach, especially if you already have a riser block on your sled. But I personally love pro=taper bars they are incredibly strong and look great. I plan on trying some SPG bars next year bc they make such great products all around. Anyhow thats just my .02

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
to continue my question, what are some new options for risers on the RAW chasis... I am guessing everyone is doing an adapter tube to use a pivot riser? I used to use Fly, anyone have some other good options???

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
to continue my question, what are some new options for risers on the RAW chasis... I am guessing everyone is doing an adapter tube to use a pivot riser? I used to use Fly, anyone have some other good options???

No adapter tube is needed. I currently run the 6" pivot Fly risers. 6" is about all you can run without cable extensions.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
You have a pic handy? I thought the new sleds didnt have a tube T top to the steering post, but a flat section??

Doesnt matter to me, I will run extensions, or have new lines/cables made. I need something taller. I was thinking 6" risers with 4" bars or 8" risers with 2" bars.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
2007 & 2008 RMK's ... all IQ's had Pivot style steering posts (T-tube)

The 2005 and 2006 IQ-RMK's had a flat plate top

2009 Shifts and RMK's (non dragons) appear to use the pivot risers.

These SPG bars are a great, stronger alternative to adding a block riser under the bar clamps...

They will be making them with a straight cross bar for standard bar pads or re using the Dragon/Assault pad.

OLLIE... I have never seen an extension harness....carefull splicing, solder and use adhesive lined heat shrink tube on the splices...

You can find correct color code wire, by the foot from these guys, I use them in for all of the Antique boat restoration wiring supplies and in the muscle cars I've done.

Rhode Island Wiring
http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/wire.htm

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
I bought one of there float plates for my XP After waiting for 3 months to get it off back order it wouldnt fit.I fought it for 2 hours.Sent it back and bought a Factory 1.
It looked like a cool concept just wouldnt fit.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Did you call Skinz Protective gear about your difficulties?

The experiences that I have had with SPG have been nothing but the outstanding!! and Jeff, the owner, prides himself in customer service... on par with F-Bomb, and 2-cool for sure... thier goal is to make the customer happy and if YOU have a problem they make it THEIR problem....

I know that many of the Float Plates were not on "Back Order", they were finishing production on them for the first time and getting the tooling together... the delay sounds like misscomunication on the part of your dealer as SPG does not sell directly to John Q.

Give Jeff a call, even though you don't have it anymore... he's always looking for ways to improve the products he produces.

www.skinzprotectivegear.com

RSI

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
BOISE, IDAHO
www.rsiracing.com
Couple of things for the people who are not getting their grips as hot with their aluminum handlebars.

We at RSI have developed high heat grip heaters when useing aluminum handlebars. They get much hotter than the stock ones, have a high / low function and are a three wire design so you can wire them directly into your existing plug. There are two different versions, standard shape and one that is extended and goes over pre bent hooked bars or bars with aluminum hooks installed.

Also to combat the heat issue when useung a aluminum/tapered handlebars we have developed a line of tapered aluminum bars that are wrapped with a thin skin of carbon fiber. The carbon fiber wrap acts as a barrier between the aluminum and heater. The heater sits on the carbon fiber not on the bare aluminum.

Hope this helps out you those who are looking for better heat when useing aluminum handlebars.

Check out the complete line of RSI handlebar systems and products on our website. ww.rsiracing.com

Dealers - You will now be able to get your RSI products from Parts Unlimited, Marshalls, and Hi Performance Engineering. Canadian dealers can get the RSI products from Kimpex and TCI.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
RSI,

I use your RSI hooks under ODI long grips and pivot risers... very nice products at a great price!

I could not find those "extended" heater versions on your website that you talked about above... I wish that those heaters were out when bought my set of regular length heaters from you in Dec

Have you installed Built-In grab strap mounts into your bars yet, like we talked about on the phone, so that I dont have to use a U-bolt style clamp on mount for the grab strap... those U-bolts look kind of "clunky" and I hit my knee on them... ouch.

44-7800bkonly.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
The SPG bars are Steel, higher grade than stock... bar heaters work properly on the SPG bars.

Outlaw AddictHow is the chromoly for heat transfer??? Had Fly bars for years, and I am getting to old to deal with luke warm handwarmers....

The aluminum bars are the ones that suck the heat out of the bars... (unlesss they are wrapped)

Pic of my SPG bars with the Poly-Bar mounted
SPGbars.jpg

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
The aluminum bars are the ones that suck the heat out of the bars... (unlesss they are wrapped)

MH.... I tried everything people suggested. Filling them with foam, wrapping them you name it. They all were as worthless as a pooopy flavored lolli pop.

Just an FYI, Van Amburg makes a nice little mount for mountain bars if you dont have mounting points on the bars. Here is a shot I found of it on the wifey's old, old sled...

nicolesride2.jpg

Is SPG coming with a bar that is straight across on the top? The conecting bar. Also you had said, you can only buy from dealers, and not from the company? True or False? I have a little custom touch I would like added to mine, do you would think they would do it??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
PM'd you.

I dont think that Vanamburg has made those mounts for years!!

The new bars will have the straight cross bar (not "V" )

You can only buy from dealers, TRUE. (I'm sure one would be glad to PM you)

They are a production MFG... standard designs...they don't do one offs... they wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage if they did.

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
No I didn't call them.

Did you call Skinz Protective gear about your difficulties?

The experiences that I have had with SPG have been nothing but the outstanding!! and Jeff, the owner, prides himself in customer service... on par with F-Bomb, and 2-cool for sure... thier goal is to make the customer happy and if YOU have a problem they make it THEIR problem....

I know that many of the Float Plates were not on "Back Order", they were finishing production on them for the first time and getting the tooling together... the delay sounds like misscomunication on the part of your dealer as SPG does not sell directly to John Q.

Give Jeff a call, even though you don't have it anymore... he's always looking for ways to improve the products he produces.

I'm shure they have good products or they wouldn't be in buisness.
I ordered the Float plate through Western Power Sports.I am the dealer I ordered it through.Ordered it in early november when I got my sled.Did not receve it tell late Feb(don't know who was holding it up).When it wouln't fit I didn't feal like calling anyone because I figured I wouldn't be very nice.So I sent it back to Western to let them deal with it.When I buy somthing sled pacific I expect it to fit I don't want to have to make it fit.Nothing personal .I shouldn't have to call a teck to install a skid plate.

Premium Features