• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

help...yet another problem with the 900

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
so we have an 05 900 rmk and we were having problems with the oil leaking internally. so we thought we had it figured out and we were running it in the shop the other day. well it was running pretty strong and it just slowed down and quit running.

so when that happened we tried starting it again and it would turn over like normal but it wouldnt allow it to start. checked the plugs and to see if it was getting gas and it was all good. we decided to add a little gas in the cylinders to see if it would start then. all it would do then is sound like it was about to start then it would backfire real loud every third pull or so.

so we decided to let it go and leave it alone. now we come back again and it doesnt backfire but it just pulls over and sounds like it wants to start again but doesnt.

my question is could it be the computer telling it not to run for some reason even if its getting gas and sparking like normal? i know when it was running the service engine light was flashing but we figured it was just because of the oil problem.

if this is hard to understand just let me know, but any information is greatly appreciated

thanks
ryan

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
how do you know its leaking oil internally..do you know where??

how many flashes was the light blinking when it was running??

was there a specific reason its in for repair right now??

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Sounds like no fuel getting to it and you poured cylinders full causing a backfire which indicates spark. Try some starting fluid...less likely to flood and more likely to get a fire.
As for oil I am not sure what or where you mean.

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
we had an issue with the oil leaking internally that i had a thread on here.

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114211

i think we narrowed it down to the center crank seals which are what indy dan pointed out. it was going through oil so fast it was about an inch in the resevoir in 30 seconds time and it was fouling out. we disconnected the hose that goes to the center crank seals for a little bit and the oil quit dropping. we then ran it for a while and about 20 minutes later thats when it quit. the compression is fine so we didnt blow anything up.

as for the number of flashes, im not sure but if i remember right i think it was a constant blink, but i could be wrong.

it was in repair to try to fix the oil issue but it was at the dealer for over a year and was discussed with the top tech guys at polaris with no resolution. we've put over 6000 dollars worth of parts and labor into it to try to get it running so far. we decided to try our luck and take things into our own hands and thats why we are working on it now.

Last edited:

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
crank seals?

So have the crank seals been replaced yet?
Could it be a plugged injector from sediment in the tank?

If you still need to fix the crank seals I'd pull the motor and check the injectors and stator and fix the crank.

If its any type of electrical start with the tps harness and stator.
Maybe get a copy of what the dealer replaced and start checking what hasn't been touched yet.

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
basically everything has been replaced in the motor except the case, jugs and pistons. the injectors have been replaced. they told us they replaced all the seals in the motor but it was still leaking until we disconnected that line.

i never thought about the stator, but il look into it

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
somewhere to start at least..

hey bud..

send me your email..so i can email you some stuff..

here is the trouble code for 05 900s..(click to enlarge) DO YOU HAVE A SERVICE MANUAL?? i can burn you a copy of it if you need it, no problem

ALSO..have you looked at the thread with alot of 900 links to old threads..you may stumble across something..
http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157066

check your TPS setting with this link..
http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72725
http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67427

check your chassis power connector, relay and ground
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73220

similar electrial issue with shuting down!!
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136442
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47871
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116764

keep us posted..hope to hear back from you about it....

let me know if you need anything else or to clarify..:beer;

05 troublecodes.jpg

Last edited:

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
oil leak

if it is unburned oil it could be coming from the oil pump, bad seal
as far as not running, did you check the little sensor in the throttlre lever? make sure you have the tps set correctly and double check your setting on the little tab on the throttle flipper. Guido can hook you up with the manual, it will walk you through all of this

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
hey thanks alot guys, i havent had time to look at it yet but im planning on pulling back out tomorrow to see what i can do, il let ya know what i find

it is a new oil pump so unless its a faulty pump i dont think the seal would be bad already

Last edited:

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
i just got done looking at it and i managed to get it to start. i only burned out each cylinder and changed plugs and it took off. but now when i run it, its lacking in throttle response and i could only get 6350 rpms tops.

would this be something to do with the tps?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
i just got done looking at it and i managed to get it to start. i only burned out each cylinder and changed plugs and it took off. but now when i run it, its lacking in throttle response and i could only get 6350 rpms tops.

Does it idle well (what RPM), go into and out of reverse easily? Typically a very pronounced symptom of the TPS is the reverse wont engage. Are there any idiot lights on or is the service engine light still blinking? If so, how many blinks?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
more info

sounds like you might be getting somewhere..

like seth said above..reply with those details..

what do you mean, you burned each cylinder..just plugs you mean..what color were they?

how long did it run for..did it die at all..did it sound good..

did you ohm check the stator?

what else have you done to get it to start, or did you try that first

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Tps

I would say its most likely the TPS either needs to be recalibrated or the harness is bad. Mine ran terrible and would backfire and sounded like it was running on one cylinder when this happened. It would barely start and idle when it was acting up but then it would start fine at times to. With the stator you would get a dim headlight and gauges would be dim and or not working I think.

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
it seemed to idle a little low (around 1000 rpm range)...i tried to engage the reverse and thats a negative on that... the engine service light blinks 5 times when it is started also...i also noticed the check engine light blink earlier but im not sure how many blinks, it was 2 or 3 times im sure...

when i burned the cylinders out i figured maybe they were really flooded so i took a farmers match and stuck them in each cylinder and let the gas burn up. i then added a bit of new gas to the cylinders and it started first pull. the plugs looked alright but maybe a little bit on the rich side. it ran for probably 10 minutes or so then i shut it off and it did sound good while it was idleing but when i drove it, it wouldnt have very good throttle response and a get up and go feeling and like i noted earlier it wouldnt rev above 6350 rpms.

i didnt do anything with the stator cause im not to familiar with that and i wasnt sure what i was doing but i have normal headlights and the guages are all there and acting like normal

its starting to sound alot like the tps to me

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
it seemed to idle a little low (around 1000 rpm range)...i tried to engage the reverse and thats a negative on that... the engine service light blinks 5 times when it is started also...i also noticed the check engine light blink earlier but im not sure how many blinks, it was 2 or 3 times im sure...

when i burned the cylinders out i figured maybe they were really flooded so i took a farmers match and stuck them in each cylinder and let the gas burn up. i then added a bit of new gas to the cylinders and it started first pull. the plugs looked alright but maybe a little bit on the rich side. it ran for probably 10 minutes or so then i shut it off and it did sound good while it was idleing but when i drove it, it wouldnt have very good throttle response and a get up and go feeling and like i noted earlier it wouldnt rev above 6350 rpms.

i didnt do anything with the stator cause im not to familiar with that and i wasnt sure what i was doing but i have normal headlights and the guages are all there and acting like normal

its starting to sound alot like the tps to me

If the service engine light blinks when you start it, that is your service interval reminder, that is normal and can be deactivated... your owners manual will tell you how to do it. If it's idling at 1,000 rpm and reverse wont engage, that is almost definitely a TPS issue, either have the dealer reset it for you or follow the links on the main Polaris page as for how to reset it if your electrically inclined. If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to 'assist' the motor into reverse by elevating the throttle just a bit to give the motor the extra kick it needs to make the reverse work, just an FYI tho as resetting (or replacing) the TPS should take care of the problem.:beer;:beer;

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i will send you the link in your email from the 05 service manual...

also refer to the chart above for the 2-3 blinks..

if its low idle, and no reverse..sleddude is most likely correct..TPS setting needs adjusted...AND you might as well replace the TPS harness too...and adjust with the link above..(with your own tool or the dealers)

repair that stuff and get back to us and keep us posted..hopefully your making progress...but i see you still need to work the oil leak issue if you have the line off the oil tank

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
il take a look at the tps hopefully sometime tomorrow

what is the easiest way to get to it to take it off...will i have to remove the engine or will it be enough to take the air intake off and exhaust and have enough room to pull it off

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
the TPS is the small sensor thats located on the exhaust side of the throttle bodies..

follow th thread i attached in the post above and it will show you how to "tune it" but all you have to remove is the exhaust...

you might be able to leave the throttle bodies inplace..BUT you have the stock oiler cable attached underneath the throttle bodies that go to the oil pump...IF you remove the bodies..be careful that you do not pull the oiler cable very hard or you will break it and have to replace it..its junk anyways...but if you get the 900 up and running, do a search on here for FBF (FatboyzFrenchy) throttle/oiler cables..its excellent product and will save you alot of hassle that you have to do now when removing the throttle bodies..

IF YOU DO NOT make your own TPS tester/adjuster tool in the thread above you will not be able to adjust it yourself..only the dealer can..FYI..

whew...sorry for the long reply..i was on a role, lol..

Premium Features