• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sand, Dirt, Mud forum? ...and I have a dirt bike question

M

MPS

Ok Big D....I have been thinking....a rarity I know. ;) A lot of us that ride sleds also dirt bike, ride ATV's, or run Jeeps, Willies, etc. How about a seperate forum for this? Just an idea. ;)

Also I am wrenching on my old XR. The gear lever is stripped on the shaft....I unbolted it and now I can't get it off. I have tried leverage to get it off and it just won't come. Any ideas?

Last edited:
B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Wish i could be of help but i have no idea. I also have a question, on my yz 125 the bolt on the bottom of the case to change the oil(the easy way) is stripped. Any ideas on how to get it off? i have already tried using the socket with all the sharp edges you hammer on, and still no luck. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
Brad

M

MPS

Those are always fun. With the bolt out of the shift lever I will take my prybar and drive it into the pinch groove. not from the end of the shift lever, but from the side. Then lever it up and down to spread the pinch area. Splines are boogered enough that the edges are smeared closed and will not line up with any remaining splines on the shaft or shift lever. Some of them old XR's have outer splines and inner splines on the shift shaft with a groove in the center. That leaves the splines in the center of the shift lever good although the the rest are stripped and they will not line up with the outer splines to pull it off. Usually spreading the shifter pinch will let them slip past. If the pinch spread doesn't work, I made a puller that works to pull them off but it is easier now days to use my miniature die grinder with a 1" cutting wheel on it to cut the top half of the shift lever where it slips over the shift shaft, off.

Can you tell are the shift shaft splines stripped or the splines in the shifter ?

----- Gimpster -----

Thanks Gimp! Ya I drove my screwdriver into the shifter pinch....but I didn't do it too far. I will try my prybar from the side as you suggest. I'm not sure what is stripped yet...the lever or the shaft. If it is the shaft is it hard to replace that?

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Wish i could be of help but i have no idea. I also have a question, on my yz 125 the bolt on the bottom of the case to change the oil(the easy way) is stripped. Any ideas on how to get it off? i have already tried using the socket with all the sharp edges you hammer on, and still no luck. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
Brad

same thing on my 03 1 2 and 5.

There is a screw on the right side of the engine down low. You can remove it and tip the bike way the hell on it's side and drain that way...2 man job and it takes forever but it works.

Seem to recall the case is aluminum and the drain bolt is steel...nasty combo with heat, etc.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Brad

If the drain plug is steel you could weld a nut on it. Use a nut that is bigger then the head of the drain plug and weld it on in the center of the nut. I'd what until plug has cooled before trying to remove it. It could strip the aluminum case if you remove it while its hot. Also be careful not to get it so hot it melts the aluminum. Just an idea.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
One of the best sites for dirt bike information is
especially if you own a BRP.... that is XR 650R for you non dirters...

Found lots of answers to my XR questions there...

+1. Once a forum tries to encompass *everything*, it gets unmanageably large to moderate and host. SnoWest for snowmobiling, thumpertalk for dirt, i'm sure there's a few jeepin forums as well.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Rigby ID
You may be better off to spot weld the shifter on rather than try
to replace the shaft! I've had to do it before and usually holds OK.

ps..outta here friday, I'm ready to ride!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You may be better off to spot weld the shifter on rather than try
to replace the shaft! I've had to do it before and usually holds OK.

ps..outta here friday, I'm ready to ride!

Times two on the spot weld, just a small one and then if you have to take it back off just grind it and you can do it again.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
X3... usually the shaft is stripped also.
Wrap a wet rag around the shaft near the case to avoid damage to the seal.
Position lever correctly, and weld it to the shaft.
Most likely this will be the last time you have to worry about it unless you bend the lever real good.
At that point, cut it off, buy a gasket, shaft, and lever... Pretty easy to change.

The drain plug should not be very tight, esecially if it has the sealing washer.
Grab it with some vice grips... If nedded, grind some flats on the bolt so you can grab it easier.
If you repair the threads, be sure you are perfectly centered when you drill it... If not, the sealing washer will not seal when tight.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
If the drain plug is steel you could weld a nut on it. Use a nut that is bigger then the head of the drain plug and weld it on in the center of the nut. I'd what until plug has cooled before trying to remove it. It could strip the aluminum case if you remove it while its hot. Also be careful not to get it so hot it melts the aluminum. Just an idea.

ya I have actually thought about that idea, but the fact of getting the case really hot scares me.
Thanks,
Brad

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
same thing on my 03 1 2 and 5.

There is a screw on the right side of the engine down low. You can remove it and tip the bike way the hell on it's side and drain that way...2 man job and it takes forever but it works.

Seem to recall the case is aluminum and the drain bolt is steel...nasty combo with heat, etc.

That is actually what me and my brother did so I could ride it. The only thing is, isn't the drain plug magnetiszed to catch any little metal shavings and junk like that? Cause if it is the i should probably get it out some time soon.
thanks,
Brad

Premium Features