• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP WANTED

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Sounds good but, who can really LIVE and SNOWMOBILE on convenience store wages? That seems a bit far fetched.

Good luck finding some help though!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Someone whose payouts from the family trust fund are contingent upon them retaining some form of employment....

Right? Otherwise, I would need $30-35/hr 40 hrs a week and wouldn't have any more time to sled than I do at home right now...

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
WTF? So the post made by CCExxon is gone and somehow I am the thread starter now?

Bring on the forum update...

These responses should probably be moved to the CCExxon thread in snowmobile employment... Of course, since they sort of hurt the premise of being able to work at a gas station, make good money and be able to sled all the time as was suggested, I suspect these response will die right here...

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Before you slam the Exxon station , remember snowboarders frequent Cooke.

And a lot of the wait staff at the restaurants are boarders.

Not everybody wants, needs or deserves $30 and hour jobs.

JMO

WTF? So the post made by CCExxon is gone and somehow I am the thread starter now?

Bring on the forum update...

These responses should probably be moved to the CCExxon thread in snowmobile employment... Of course, since they sort of hurt the premise of being able to work at a gas station, make good money and be able to sled all the time as was suggested, I suspect these response will die right here...

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
The add says "live work play in snowmobile country". It was posted on a snowmobile website...

So a new sled is $10,000-14,000 stock, new trucks to haul them around with start at $40k and you still have to feed yourself even if they have acceptable housing.

My point was, snowmobiling is an expensive sport. I guess we all have different opinions on what "living" might be but that is pretty expensive as well.

Pretty sure if you want to live and ride, convenience store wages are going to come up short, just sayin'

Unless of course, like dogmeat says, you have a trust fund to draw from as well. How snowboarders came into he conversation is beyond me...

Mostly I was just poking a little fun at the ad but, that seems lost on you.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Have you been to Cooke?

The boarders use sleds to get to the back country and they ride $1500 sleds.

The add says "live work play in snowmobile country". It was posted on a snowmobile website...

So a new sled is $10,000-14,000 stock, new trucks to haul them around with start at $40k and you still have to feed yourself even if they have acceptable housing.

My point was, snowmobiling is an expensive sport. I guess we all have different opinions on what "living" might be but that is pretty expensive as well.

Pretty sure if you want to live and ride, convenience store wages are going to come up short, just sayin'

Unless of course, like dogmeat says, you have a trust fund to draw from as well. How snowboarders came into he conversation is beyond me...

Mostly I was just poking a little fun at the ad but, that seems lost on you.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Have you been to Cooke?

The boarders use sleds to get to the back country and they ride $1500 sleds.

Well good for them.

They shouldn't have any trouble finding help then...

Pretty sure they are starving kids at that point which IMO, is not "living". Riding a $1500 sled isn't "living" either.

Sounds like maybe you should apply

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
You don't need to have a $10000 snowmobile and a $40000 pickup to be "living". Some of use who enjoy snowmobiling do not have the financial means to afford a new sled and pickup. There is no reason someone with enjoying snowmobiling with a $1500 sled cant be "living" as well as someone with a 10-15 thousand dollar sled. I am speaking as a person with a $2000 M7 being transported with a $5000 Silverado.

Last edited:

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
You don't need to have a $10000 snowmobile and a $40000 to be "living". Some of use who enjoy snowmobiling do not have the financial means to afford a new sled and pickup. There is no reason someone with enjoying snowmobiling with a $1500 sled cant be "living" as well as someone with a 10-15 thousand dollar sled. I am speaking as a person with a $2000 M7 being transported with a $5000 Silverado.

Well said!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You don't need to have a $10000 snowmobile and a $40000 pickup to be "living". Some of use who enjoy snowmobiling do not have the financial means to afford a new sled and pickup. There is no reason someone with enjoying snowmobiling with a $1500 sled cant be "living" as well as someone with a 10-15 thousand dollar sled. I am speaking as a person with a $2000 M7 being transported with a $5000 Silverado.

Work harder, get a better job, buy a decent truck and a better sled. You will enjoy it a whole lot more... I fail to understand those who brag about slumming it. White trash pride? How is your public housing rental unit?

I get that you have to start somewhere but if the age in your profile is correct you may have gone wrong somewhere along the line...

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Work harder, get a better job, buy a decent truck and a better sled. You will enjoy it a whole lot more... I fail to understand those who brag about slumming it. White trash pride? How is your public housing rental unit?

I get that you have to start somewhere but if the age in your profile is correct you may have gone wrong somewhere along the line...

I fail to understand those who brag about everything they have and those who don't not being worthy.

I would expand more but I have to run to the welfare office to pickup some commodity cheese for supper before I start my McDonalds shift.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
All people are different I know some who drive a 5000$ truck and have millions in equity. Also know some who live paycheck to paycheck that have the latest and greatest. Everyone has different enjoyment needs. There are also people that love there job and get payed less but enjoy going to work everyday.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com
I fail to understand those who brag about everything they have and those who don't not being worthy.

I would expand more but I have to run to the welfare office to pickup some commodity cheese for supper before I start my McDonalds shift.

I've owned 1 brand new vehicle of any kind in my life. That was enough to teach me that Instant depreciation alone is good enough reason to go with something older. I'd rather drive an old beater that I like & have more money for other things that are important to me. Probably if I were filthy rich, I still wouldn't by the brand new sleds or trucks. Why waste an extra 5k on something that has about 3 more features than last years model? You can still have a lot of fun on a 10 year old sled. Are they going to have more issues? Sure, but if it gets destroyed there's less heartache as well.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018

Funny because the ONLY one who listed his sled and truck in a bragging fashion was... YOU.

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR

Why are you always so negative?

bigrig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
LAKE PARK, IA

Man I love sledding!!! I have a lot of fun on my 1500$ sled!! Hauled in my 3000$ Silverado!!! Sorry I'd say more, but I've got to catch a ride with my friend Duane. Gotta pick up that cheezze!!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Well now, I ride an '02 Poo 600RMK. Even counting everything I've spent on it, I'm still closer to 1500 than 10K. Guess that's gotta go. I suppose I could go finance a new sled – the only other option would be to unload mine and save my money until I can get a real sled. Aint nobody got time for that. Same for my truck, it's over 20yrs/200k. Actually, that still manages to haul stuff I need to finish building my house, so I'd better hang onto it. It's just a bummer to discover that I've been slumming it and having a miserable experience for eight years. Oh well, now I know better. Off to the bank tomorrow to see if I can salvage this season!

Ok, hopefully my sarcasm isn't too much; although I'm a bottom-feeder, I'm not looking to bust anyone's balls here. I've got no problem with the guy who pays cash for a new sled and new truck every year because he's got plenty, the guy who stretches his budget and finances his stuff, and obviously not for the guy on the ratty old sled (that's not me, BTW, my sled is definitely not ratty). The only people I truly take exception to are the ones with all the new stuff who give you the "really, you brought that..." look. Nobody here would do that though, right? I have seen it personally though, and when my sled was half its current age, to boot. That was in WA when I first got into it; not so much since I moved back here.

Ultimately, it's a pass-time, recreation, a way to blow off steam. Try telling a kid having a great time doing something completely silly that they're doing it wrong. Doesn't matter, does it? Obviously you might see someone riding a sled that's not safe or trying to make a $100 trip on a $50 budget: I'm not saying turn your head from obvious stupidity. Beyond that though, it's just a lot more fun if you can put what the other guy is doing out of your mind and just enjoy what you have. Just my two cents, (hopefully) without getting too philosophical...

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD

You make some very good points. I should get a better job so I can afford that new pickup and snowmobile. I did make a huge mistake years ago when I chose my profession. I obviously am not living. My profession is Park Law Enforcement. I could make much more money working for the National Park Service instead of the State of South Dakota. I would have to enforce the very restrictive regulations and policies regulating extremely limited vehicle use and the ban on hunting on public lands. Not my idea of fun but it is more money and better living. I could make more money working for the US Forest Service. Not quite as restrictive until the anti motorized groups get there way. Kicking snowmobilers off the forest would be as much fun as a colonoscopy but it would be more money. I work for an agency that encourages responsible snowmobile use on federal lands. I enjoy what I do and have 35 years of service but however I am not living. I do own my home but I am sure it is not large enough or nice enough to be living. I have ample access to excellent hunting and fishing but my equipment is not new enough to be living. I have good snowmobiling within an hours drive and great snowmobiling within 5 hours drive but I am forced ride an old junky M7. Sometimes I really slum it and have to ride either the 87 400 SKS or the Chaparral SSX.

Living is what you make with what you have. Do not let anyone say what you have is not good enough to be what you want to be. I am proud to be white trash.

Yes this thread has gone way off course. Sorry

Premium Features