• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where are best 3 riding areas in Colorado?

Texasron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Leaving 4/19, where is best 3or 4 areas. Maybe Vail, Steamboat Springs, Gunnison? Wolf? Mesa? Thanks ahead

Activity on this site has tapered-off quite a bit this Season due to the fact that Colorado had a fairly miserable amount of snow fall this Winter, especially down South. However, there are a few pockets of snow to be had, but you will really have to work for it. There is some decent snow in the higher elevations (above 10,000) feet that has managed to survive the warm temps, but getting to it is a problem. Most of the problem involves riding your expensive powder machine through a fair amount of mud or even dirt to access the snow up high.

Most of us have given up on fighting Mother Nature this year and have started to tune-up our dirt bikes and utv's.

Hopefully next Winter we all have a great snow season.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
My bet would be steamboat springs/rabbit ears. A short drive from rabbit ears over into wyoming and you have the snowy range which has plenty of snow and great areas to ride. There is also the sierra madres which might have good snow but I heard the sierras are or can be more technical and easier to get into trouble there.

Check snotel sites to get an idea where the base is.
https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
The south has been bad??? Well not great but I rode 2-3 FEET of fresh last weekend and judging by the new snow on my deck right now, I bet there is another 2 feet of freshie today. Where? Sorry not sharing...

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Happy to see you survived last season on the mesa. Had to be tough going given the conditions. Just south of you, per my months old post, we had a couple late season dumps that made spring some of the best riding of the season. By the time they showed up though the base was probably already gone on the mesa.

I hope we all have a better season coming up. Last season was the second time in my 15 years here I couldn't get a birthday ride late in May, much less a traditional June ride or two. Meanwhile my buddy in Montana rode July 4th!

Premium Features