• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pistons??

Jan 22, 2011
utah
I am doing a new top end to my 2012 arctic cat M800 Pro climb. The snowmobile is all Stock. Looking to replace the
Pistons,Rings,and all gaskets. My Question is.
Can I install SPI Pistons? Or Do I replace with Arctic Cat Stock pistons I have always ran SPI pistons in all of my four wheelers I am not sure if they are equivalent to run in arctic cats snowmobiles looking for some help with this to make the best choice for durabilty. Can anyone share some info on this. Thank you!!!!

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Stock for sure. And dont hone the cylinder. Also make sure powervalves are cleaned. Good time for new exhaust donut as well. And check reeds for chipping while stuff is apart. New exhaust springs arent the worst idea either...of one breaks and gets into a clutch, it gets expensive quickly.

Jan 22, 2011
utah
Stock for sure. And dont hone the cylinder. Also make sure powervalves are cleaned. Good time for new exhaust donut as well. And check reeds for chipping while stuff is apart. New exhaust springs arent the worst idea either...of one breaks and gets into a clutch, it gets expensive quickly.

Thank you Jim. I will check all of it great information about pedals.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
pistons

the Suzuki laydown engine seems to be very kind to pistons. If your engine runs correct fuel air mixtures, I doubt you will have any issues with stock pistons, spi, wiesco etc. I have bought and build a number of big bore kits with this engine, never had a piston related failure. Most of the big bore kits use Wiesco pistons, forged pistons that are likely better quality than OEM Suzuki. Only crappy tuning will ruin pistons.

If you have a lot of engine mods and aftermarket pipes and cans and intakes............and you struggle with tuning this combination, than go with stock Suzuki pistons, that way you can't blame piston failure on the aftermarket pistons.

My original 07 m8 that has been a geared down utility sled and lives in a storage unit at my cabin has over 4000 miles on some generic pistons that HI PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING used to sell.
Good compression, starts easy, quiet.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
pistons

So,,whats your point. I have Wossners in my 925 from BL. High quality pistons..

you won't have piston problems with the available aftermarket pistons out there. Nothing special about Suzuki pistons.

If you have a reason to use forged pistons rather than cast pistons, then choose one or the other. Both work, cast pistons are a little more resistant to screwed up jetting/bad numbers/deto.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Cast pistons are typically not as strong or tough as forged pistons, but they also don't expand as much...providing more consistent clearance and much less likely to cold seize. Identically made/sized pistons, cast will typically be lighter due to the porosity of the aluminum.

Forged pistons are tougher and stronger, but they can be tricky to use in an application like a snowmobile where the pistons can be as cold as -10F (or colder at times). They have more clearance in the bore when cold. If not treated properly, they can be problematic and are more likely to cold seize.

What I will say and I do know is that the stock pistons consistently go 2000 miles on a turbo and double that for a stocker. You can try other pistons, and people do, but there is some risk there.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
piston issues

not warming up your sled is the only operational issue that can ruin pistons, well then also detonation and ignoring detonation.

The colder the weather, the longer the warm up time. Cold seizures are a direct result of not warming up your motor, cast or forged, if you cold seized you screwed up. Super cooled coolant has proven not to be an issue. Super hot piston crowns............with worn rings and bad ring lands...........certain disaster.

So back to the original question...............new SPI pistons and rings are better than 3000 mile stockers.

Premium Features