• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hey guys how good is the 2006 900 liberty by polaris

S
Dec 14, 2016
Hi guys last sled I had was the 1999rmk 700 great sled..now I am looking at getting a 2006 900 liberty..buying site unseen..I live on vancouver island..is this a good sled
OR a money pit.lol .what can I ask the owner. Before I buy..I am 53..it's been 12 years now getting itch to ride..can anyone give me some in site on these sleds..junk now..all for money..like I said he wants 3200.for it..2000.miles..what sled nowadays is good for polaris..all day also what is the warmest I can ride..in Celsius ..+10..in hope so..in am a little nervous..can anyone help this old man..lol thanks guys..

S
Nov 28, 2007
Pence, WI
I owed both the 05 disaster and the 06 which was a tremendous improvement.

They made allot of improvements on the 06 which included going to 4 injectors over the 2 on the 05. Improving the motor mounts. Biggest downside on the 06 was the engine vibration transmitted to the handle bars which could put your hands to sleep. It needed to add torque snubbers still to keep the engine from twisting under load and eating belts. Mine would run over 100 on the dream meter. I put 2500 miles on mine and sold it in 08 for $4500.00 back then. Would only get about 9 miles to the gallon. With the low miles on that sled for it's age I'd question why and, Check compression, belt dust, oil in engine compartment all the standard things etc. The way it has been stored over the last 10 years would be my major concern. Parts are not that easy to come by because that was the last year for the 900. You can find a lot of history on this site and HCS regarding those sleds so do some searching for information on them.

Good luck and Merry Christmas

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Parts availability is becoming a real issue. I just finished working on an 06 for a guy and I had to find a lot of body and suspension parts used on ebay and other places to get it back together.

I'd stay away from it.

sled_guy

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Price is pretty high, most of the ones I see for sale are $2500. I would buy a M7, you will be much happier. If you do go M7 Flatspeed on here makes a reverse kit for it, worth every penny.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
If you don't mind putting in the time for maintenance then you will be happy with it. As for finding parts I disagree with that. I have been able to get any parts needed for my 05 without a problem. The 06 you will run into problems finding fuel regulators since it was the 116psi version for the 4 injectors. I wouldn't hesitate on an 05 as long as all the updates were done to it and everything was zip tied back away from the jackshaft. Have the clutch balanced by indy specialty and you'll have fun. I have had my 900 switchback for 5 years now. I can't say that they were trouble free years but once you get on one it's a blast how these suckers make power. Like most guys will say that own them or have ridden them, "They pull like a tractor".

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
My experience from a first time 900 owner. My son bought one running and in pretty good shape off a salvage auction for $1,000. We've put about another $1,000 into it in clutch work (Indy Specialties) and misc. tune up parts. We are getting very close to having it ready to rip. Like stated earlier, if you don't mind working on it and figuring things out its not that bad. And they do rip! We have had no problems finding both new and used parts for the 06. But for the price of that one I'd go another route seems like you'd have a hard time getting your money back.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
Here is my response in the same thread you posted in the Pro section

First off wrong forum. There is an IQ chassis specific section where you can get lots of info on the old 900's.

The 900 was made for 2 years, not one. It does not have a very good reputation at all, but some people that had them that were setup well really liked them. I was one of them, I had an '05 151 Anniversary addition with a bunch of stuff done to it. No front radiator, SLP torque arm, RKtek head SLP pipe/can, geared down, and probably more. That thing had torque like an animal and wasn't any heavier really than my '03 Vertical Escape. I put 2300 miles on that thing with little trouble. Yeah it vibrated but you get used to that, and I do miss the adjustable handlebars. I miss tilting the bars all the way back, sitting down on the seat, and riding back comfortably after a long day of hard riding.

I'd like to add, that IMHO it's one thing to already own a 900, but it's another thing to actively go out to seek one to buy at this point. They are getting old, really old. They probably won't be worth hardly anything in another 5 years.

While I AM a diehard Polaris guy, your money is better spent elsewhere. I'd buy a 700 Dragon before a 900, and I'd buy a select 800 Dragon depending on status on the 800 engine's condition. If big power is what you want, early AC M1000's are getting pretty cheap and are twice the motor the 900 Polaris is, honestly. An M1000 with an SLP pipe/can/air box is like 195HP. M7's are also a bargain. They are really cheap right now and they are a solid snowmobile, if you aren't needing big power.

Of course, there's always the Pro chassis to consider too. 11-12 Pro's are going for pretty cheap now, but depends sled to sled on what the 800 engine status is.

Personally if I was on a budget, I'd be hunting for a good deal on a '13 RMK (IIRC $5K range) with the possibility of a 11-12 RMK if it has a fix it kit, rebuilt, etc.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Most people are selling their 900s based off of bluebook and depending where you live is the price range. I just bluebooked my 900 switch and it said 3400. No way in hell I would ever ask that as I know the troubles you are selling the next person LOL

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Nothing like a Tuned 9

I have had 3 of them. My current one is very showy it is an actual one of about 300 2006 Black 900 Dragons produced. ( yes thats right a 900 Dragon ).

I also have 5 other Sleds.

I love the torque. I ride all the newer sleds and they feel like a tinker toy to me.

This is one of the last Big Boy sleds build.

If you find a 375 lb he will bend most newer sleds just riding it.

I love mine.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
2006 900 Dragon

WYOs06900dragon.jpg

Premium Features