• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sled wont turn very well.....

E
Feb 22, 2014
I have a 2000 powder special. its bored to 825cc, aftermarket carbs and pipes, extended tunnel and track 151". I believe this sled was put together like this when new. from what the previous owner said it was owned by and arctic cat dealer owner. From what i can tell the track seems wide, and the lugs are around the 1.75" height. BUT........ I find myself at the mercy of the terrain, I cant turn or lean the sled period. the snow was a bit crusty today. was by no means fluffy powder. yes it turns on hard pack poorly and can make huge loops in the deeper stuff but i cant get it to lean into the corner like it needs to and what i would feel comfortable with. feels like the absolute opposite of a jet ski or boat turning. it leans to the outside of the corner no matter how hard i lean or drag my rear in the snow. MY THEORETICAL OBSERVATIONS / IDEAS: I feel like the distance between the skis is excessive, causing the sled to stay parallel with the terrain, causing the sled to fight my leaning. The tunnel and track seem wide, the wider track seems to help the ski's hold their parallel position. The handle bars are too wide and not tall enough, thus giving me no leaning weight. And last but not least the foot rest area seems too low. I think i higher center of gravity would help. ABOUT ME: im 5'7 150lbs and new to sledding. I almost gave this up today but i calmed down and realized there is a solution to every problem. I understand this sled is a dinosaur. some questions i have: How have the previous owners ridden this sled like this. Would narrower skis help with the leaning the in the deeper snow, obivously its going to give less flotation up front but since their stance is wider than todays sleds would it help? I think it would since there would be more weight on a narrower ski stance than a wider one when leaned. does anyone have any objections or observed problems to cutting the foot area of the tunnel and raising it 2", my idea would be to cut the foot area off the tunnel with a 1" lip alongside the tunnel then rivet it back on with 1" of overlap. then get risers and narrower bars. but how much do i want to invest into this idea. am I in the right direction? im all about constructive criticism. thanks.

Last edited:
Premium Features