• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blown motor, suggestions for rebuild?

R
Jan 8, 2013
Wyoming
I have an 04 800 Summit Highmark Extreme 159 in the Rev chassis. I heard a squeal, reached to shut it down, it shuddered violently as it shut off and I put out small flames on the left side of the crankcase. It was locked up when I tried to pull it over. Assuming the bearing went on that side. I had been having trouble with it running too rich after it got warmed up. Do you think that the seal on that bearing was letting the motor pull in air and made it too rich. Do you suppose the crank has been damaged beyond repair? I am hoping that the bearing is just seized is why it won't turn over and not a top end problem too. What should I include in the rebuild? Are there aftermarket cranks? I had the jugs trail ported and ran the stock head before. Should I do trail port again and try a head? Should I try race porting? Is having to mix gas to bump the octane for the higher mods worth it or should I stick with a build that can run pump gas? I ran the stock intake box with vent kit before, should I try the Timbersled setup? I have V-force reeds in it, are they the way to go? In 07 I lost power and found low compression and found the flaked ring coating problem. Thats when I had the jugs worked on. My local dealer sold me Wiseco pistons. I have since learned that was probably a bad idea. Are SPI pistons the way to go? If it looks really bad when I open it up I am thinking of having Felkers build it for me. Any opinions on their work? They are several hours away from me but I don't trust my local dealer to do more than stock replacement.

R

rstephen0424

Mar 5, 2012
no on the spi pistons they are junk, get it pulled apart first the access the damage, i would rebuild the whole thing if you are going to the work use oem or wiseco (wiseco piston are good alot of people just dont know how to break them in or let there sleds warm up) good luck

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
I too agree, acess the damage first, but probaly rebuild the whole thing. remaned crank, wisecos are not really bad, if warmed up properly, i really like mcb dual ring pistons, but they need to be warmed up as well, then if your jugs are fine leave them as trail ported.

Depending on where you ride is up to you on compression, if you ride at higher elevation the extra compression is worth it for me, but if not, it is just more of a pain the the rear.

V force reeds are good, just make sure to check the boots at lease once a year

Stock air box with vent kit should be just fine, if you really want to upgrade to something the 07 air box is a little better, but might not be necessary.

Good luck

Last edited:
Premium Features