• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 800 RMK chain tension

O
Oct 19, 2008
So I did a search on setting proper chain tension and followed it, now I should have set the tension when I had the case open but I was excited and put it all back together so I could fire it up.

The problem I have is that it seems like the bolt for the roller goes in real far.... is this normal??? I basically turned the clutch back and set the parking brake, then turn the bolt in till it gets finger tight then back out half turn.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
So I did a search on setting proper chain tension and followed it, now I should have set the tension when I had the case open but I was excited and put it all back together so I could fire it up.

The problem I have is that it seems like the bolt for the roller goes in real far.... is this normal??? I basically turned the clutch back and set the parking brake, then turn the bolt in till it gets finger tight then back out half turn.

Sounds good. The distance the bolt goes in will be different depending on the
gearing and chain pitch.

raptobob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Idaho
Not that this would make much difference on bolt length but isn't it usually finger tight then back out 1/4 turn?

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
When I was putting my chaincase back together I experimented with turning it down finger tight and then backing it off because I wanted to be able to accurately adjust it without pulling the cover later on down the road.

I found that after turning it finger tight, 1/4 turn was the most I would want to back it out without getting too much deflection. I think just a little less than 1/4 turn back out works best with my personal "finger tight". I'm pretty sure I remember reading in the book that you should tighten it to 15-20 inch pounds and then back it out 1/4 turn. That would be a bit more than finger tight.

O
Oct 19, 2008
When I was putting my chaincase back together I experimented with turning it down finger tight and then backing it off because I wanted to be able to accurately adjust it without pulling the cover later on down the road.

I found that after turning it finger tight, 1/4 turn was the most I would want to back it out without getting too much deflection. I think just a little less than 1/4 turn back out works best with my personal "finger tight". I'm pretty sure I remember reading in the book that you should tighten it to 15-20 inch pounds and then back it out 1/4 turn. That would be a bit more than finger tight.

The in/lb rating is kind of what i was looking for, some sort of standard other then "finger tight".

Premium Features