• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Setting up the 300 XC for snow

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Picked up a 2011 300 XC

Wanting to set it up for my 2016 Timbersled Long track

Best mods?

I'm planning on the following:

Avid carb heater and t stat
Pro Circuit pipe (not sure which is best?)
S3 head or shave head?

Any other recommendations?

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
PC2 makes 1
NPP makes 7

stock they are 53 or so. can get into the low 60's with pipe, head, carb and stock cylinder.

watch them silly fans everyone attaches to their rads. they wear thru the aluminum over time.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Serious on the fan? I have a trailtech on my 13 300... 550 hours no wear through yet but I will check that today... have you seen this happen ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Picked up a 2011 300 XC

Wanting to set it up for my 2016 Timbersled Long track

Best mods?

I'm planning on the following:

Avid carb heater and t stat
Pro Circuit pipe (not sure which is best?)
S3 head or shave head?

Any other recommendations?
I think you are better off just sending off the head and cylinder and having it ported... I tried the head it was nice but getting the porting with the head makes a much more dramatic difference.. mine went to gore ...made riding better all the way around...

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I think you are better off just sending off the head and cylinder and having it ported... I tried the head it was nice but getting the porting with the head makes a much more dramatic difference.. mine went to gore ...made riding better all the way around...

The S3 head works awesome however it needs the CDI SX box to alter timing. huge gains,

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Serious on the fan? I have a trailtech on my 13 300... 550 hours no wear through yet but I will check that today... have you seen this happen ?

yup. seen it twice. plastic wears right thru the aluminum

The cdi box swap doesnt make a lick of difference on a dyno. friend of a friend ran them back to back.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
yup. seen it twice. plastic wears right thru the aluminum

The cdi box swap doesnt make a lick of difference on a dyno. friend of a friend ran them back to back.

I have a shop and build KTM,s mostly 250 and 300,s. The stock compression on the XC is 170ish. the S3 high elevation dome raised to 240 psi. with the SX box the power add was Huge on every bike we send out.it takes a mild motor and makes it sing, also lowers the torque curve substantially.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Whether it adds hp or not it broadens the rpms and work really well for me in conjunction cutting the head and porting .. it feels faster seat of the pants...i would never go back..

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Byeatts did you run them on a dyno back to back, or are you talking seat of the pants? The guy i'm talking about ran every combo on his own dyno and said the box swaps didnt make any significant difference to the power curve.

M
Jan 21, 2013
2012 300 XCW, i put on the S3 head, made it feel stronger throughout but still slow to rev. I put the SX CDI and could feel a major improvement while riding. It really woke my bike up. This is on dirt only, its never been a snowbike.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Glenn:

Just search Ultimate 300 thread. Randy Siemens. Pick and choose.

Randy is in Kallispell. He is the 300 (330) guru.

Anyone who thinks adding 75lbs compression and a timing bump wont wake up a motor needs some therapy.it truly rocks,,,

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I prefer measurement over assumption.

Seen it countless times. buddy thinks he has the hot setup because he paid big bucks, shipped his cylinder to a big name guy, all the fancy pieces... and it makes stock power.

compression helps the 300 for sure. SX cdi however, i would keep the money in my pocket from what i have been told.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I think the Cdi allows for more usable power through a greater rpm range... Maybe not more... I can lug lower and rev higher.. Did you see that on the Dyno... Maybe a better result mixed with porting to match?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I think the Cdi allows for more usable power through a greater rpm range... Maybe not more... I can lug lower and rev higher.. Did you see that on the Dyno... Maybe a better result mixed with porting to match?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yes the CDI sx smooth's out the power band and give better low grunt , burns cleaner and at full throttle is explosive compared to the stock box, The timing Must pace with the added compression in every motor build.

Clay911

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2010
Alberta
I have the SX head and ignition, PC2, Avid heater and Thermostat and by far hands down the best thing i did to my bike is add a Lectron.

My fuel mileage is now as good and sometimes better then a FI 450. It starts first kick no choke all summer and first or 2nd kick with choke no matter what the temperature in the winter. it came all setup bench flowed and i bolted it on and have not touched a single adjustment(there aren't many) on it since. you also can you use it all summer as the MPG gains are worth it alone.

It would be my first purchase after a heater and thermostat.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
One thing dyno graphs don't show is time. Ignition timing might not change the amount of power, but it can certainly make an engine rev faster or slower. Say you have two engines that both make 60hp on a dyno at 8000 RPM, but one hits that 8000 RPM mark 1/2 to 1 second quicker with the same load. I know which one I'd rather be riding :face-icon-small-hap

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Well have ridden this bike in the dirt a bit and nownIm wondering about handlebar mounts to help with the vibration.

Recommended setup?
I use the Scott stabilizer with the brp rubber mount along with the faste footpegs... They help a ton... I really notice when I switch bikes how much they do.... No more numb feet after super long rides...

Premium Features