• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lowering a Timbersled kit. And copying the aro a little.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So in the interest of putting my drivers behind the bike a little.
Deep snow performance is my main goal.
Also I want to be able to flat foot on concrete.

Cut and tipped down the front of the frame 2".
Welded a tube inside to bridge the gap.

Cut 2" vertically out of the spindle to level it out.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
169719345f933ee5807c34bbcc648d69.jpg

4219aa0c722de9c3c48c6a0a3354831b.jpg

8296211cc5fd57056a2152982dcfc5e5.jpg

d3ea69e17a29e3f29132ff8908726ee3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Seat concepts seat is 1" taller than stock in the low point.

2" taller in the wide point.

So many snowbikes are low on the rear of the seat so I thought to avoid this.

It was actually foam and cover from a ktm seat concepts tall that I found locally for cheap and cut down to fit.

At 6'2" i need the peg to seat height for comfort when sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Lowering Seat Height

Just curious, instead of trimming the ski spindle, could you have just slipped the fork tubes up a couple of inches?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just curious, instead of trimming the ski spindle, could you have just slipped the fork tubes up a couple of inches?

Yamaha forks taper pretty quickly.
I probably could have gotten 1" max.

Plus the skid modification was permanent so the lessened spindle twist forces was a side benefit.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
You get more drag through the snow like that At your height I can't see how you need shorter than stock

You tried it?

And noticed the 2" lower made more drag?

You're right I don't need it shorter.
But i do know how low speed mobility suffers when the centerline of the drivers is below the skid plate.

I cant see how higher speeds would have anything but a good effect from this mod in that stuffing the track in a hole doesn't have a vertical approach angle at the front of track nearly stopping forward movement.

(I noticed this on the 800r bike I built)
Especially with a tiny bit of crust. Would almost throw me over the bars.

But the proof is in the pudding I suppose, let me know if I'm way off from your experience.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
ok now

I think you are on the right track. Silly seat height is of no value and won't go through snow all that well.

Making sleds, for powder it always seems to work best to have only 1/2 to 1/3 of the driver below a flat bottom bulk head. I think your new bike setup will work better in all conditions. For sure will work better on a snox track for cornering and agility in the woods.

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Me too

I also thought of this just because my legs are short. I like the way you achieved this by splitting the cross tube. However I would like to move the kit forward also by shorting the two mounting tubes thus improving weight transfer. Whateya think. ?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I also thought of this just because my legs are short. I like the way you achieved this by splitting the cross tube. However I would like to move the kit forward also by shorting the two mounting tubes thus improving weight transfer. Whateya think. ?

I would have to cut into my bike frame to get any farther forward.
(And fit the 3” track)

V
Sep 22, 2008
Looking to do the same lowering method, cut and re Tig weld attachment point back on and bolt a mid sized framed bike 150 cc - 230 cc too.The Sno Ripper 90 is pretty much a parking lot toy even with plastic angles added to track.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Good idea! I think ultimately some lower/lowering options would be great....they are just not conducive to average or below average height riders. My wife tried a TS on the weekend...having some dirtbike experience should figured out the basics quite easily. However for her to ride one practically, the seat height is just too prohibitive.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Works great for crossing icy patches.
No real difference while riding.

Just easier to touch ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Works great for crossing icy patches.
No real difference while riding.

Just easier to touch ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I certainly think that a lower center of gravity would be helpful in tight treed winding trails and easier to pic up when flopped over. I’m getting older and tugging and pulling is not option ?

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Lowering

I would certainly think by lowering the center of gravity the bike would handle better and it would would be easier to pic it up when you lay it down. JMO?

Premium Features