• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Possibly making the switch.. FE501 to YZ450F?

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I ran a Husky 501 last season and really liked it, never skipped a beat. The wide ratio was difficult in the trees, but I figured the bike would be a good all year do everything.. however the kit is still on the bike, and it's almost September. I'm wondering if I should jump to a YZ450F (2012+) for lighter weight, more power, and close ratio.. just don't want any regrets this coming season. It would be dedicated snow bike. The kicker is the only downside I see so far. :juggle: decisions decisions...
33747449143_27a74516f1_h_d.jpg

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
After riding both last season and comparing the Snow Bike fun aspect of the right bike for the job. I would go YZ450F all day long.
The high revving big power and close ratio of the trans all say FUN!!!! The kicker is the main down side, but it is not a big deal for a seasoned rider. When I was new to the sport I dropped my bike regularly and needed electric start. Now 5 seasons later I do not care if it is kick or easy button. I am a much better rider now and do not struggle with needing electric start any more. I think you will find your self in the same position.

I would suggest the 14-18 years. I am not a huge fan of the tornado exhaust of the earlier years. I will be riding the new 18' YZ450F this season to check out the increased power of 13:1 compression and electric start. I love the fact that they put the starter on the clutch and not the flywheel, like the FX. It should give the high end snap we are looking for that the FX could not deliver because of the heavy flywheel.

I ran a Husky 501 last season and really liked it, never skipped a beat. The wide ratio was difficult in the trees, but I figured the bike would be a good all year do everything.. however the kit is still on the bike, and it's almost September. I'm wondering if I should jump to a YZ450F (2012+) for lighter weight, more power, and close ratio.. just don't want any regrets this coming season. It would be dedicated snow bike. The kicker is the only downside I see so far. :juggle: decisions decisions...
33747449143_27a74516f1_h_d.jpg

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Get the YZ, close ratio trans, better airfilter location(for snowuse) and more power.

I will admit that I am an avid hater of the KTM wide ration trans in any application, especially paired with a low rpm machine like the 500.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
Thanks for all the input. What Toby said is what I was expecting to be the case. Now to find the time to pull my kit and prep my bike to sell. I'd love to have the 18 yzf but I don't buy anything new unless its at a big discount. Used KTM's are overpriced around here, but I'll keep my eyes out for an sxf

This looks like a good deal -

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcd/d/sale-2016-yamaha-yz450f-demo/6269866933.html

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Yes I agree

Prices around here for that same bike are higher, maybe in the $500-$1000 higher range, plus that bike could be near new, being a demo. I have two F bikes and two FX bikes as snowbikes and think they are great. Keep up the great video and photography again this season, that stuff is golden.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Good deal

Great deal. Demos usually come with factory warranty also. Only 30 days from Yamaha I believe but gives you a little peace of mind.
Of course, if by demo they mean the one that the shop guys put 100 hours on,… Maybe not such a good deal. Should be able to tell pretty easy though

J
Dec 22, 2008
Ellensburg
I ride a 16 SXF. Our group consisted last year of: 1 '16 yz450f, 2 '16 KTM SXF, 1 KTM XCF, 1 Husky 450fc, and a Honda '16 cr450r. The kick bikes were a hassle. All pretty accomplished riders, just a pain in tough spots and some straight up no starts in real cold weather after a long ride in the pick-up. Had to warm em up with diesel exhaust to get em going many times. The elec bikes start easy with a jump when cold. I pack a small box, never had to use except first cold start of the day. The Ktm/Husky were quite a bit stronger (everyone stock except snowshields, therm, etc.) This year we're all running PR2.
The Husky was the clear winner, somehow, same engine as the KTM, but it would pull 4th on hills we couldn't. Think he got a strong one or something. Same kit etc., just flat stronger. Couple 501s runnin around we rode with a few times. They couldn't keep up in most places/snow conditions. The 450 XCF was a bit behind the sxf on power too. All bikes on '16 ST Timbersleds. I wanted to go CMX this year, but ran short on cash building a house. Good luck, we should ride this winter. Some killer country over here.

Last edited:
N
Nov 28, 2015
Utah
Jumping in with both feet

I will be a new converted snowbiker this season! I just picked up my new 2018 YZ450F 4 days ago, and on dirt it is freaking awesome! I am a 2 stroke guy so this back to 4 stroke bike thing is going to be a change in my biking world. I am super excited to get my ordered snowchecked Timbersled Aro 120LE. Hope this is worth all this $$$ I am dropping. Keeping my Polaris Pro as a back up ride this year just in case I am wrong. My only experience is 1 hour demo and 1 day rental to make sure. And look what I am spending for this new addition! I tested out the YZ450FX and did not like the wide ratio trans after I rode the YZ450F! Way better with the kit to have the close ratio trans. Considered KTM and Husky but they are just too much $$$. So happy to ride blue and not red (CRF450RX). Which were my top contenders. I am very interested in this thread to see what you experienced snow bikers are doing and how you set up your bikes. So when you guys develop your perfect snow bike settings on your new Yamaha app. You will need to share this information to us quiet readers that don't normally post anything!

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
Prices around here for that same bike are higher, maybe in the $500-$1000 higher range, plus that bike could be near new, being a demo. I have two F bikes and two FX bikes as snowbikes and think they are great. Keep up the great video and photography again this season, that stuff is golden.

Agreed on the videos...very well done.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I will be a new converted snowbiker this season! I just picked up my new 2018 YZ450F 4 days ago, and on dirt it is freaking awesome! I am a 2 stroke guy so this back to 4 stroke bike thing is going to be a change in my biking world. I am super excited to get my ordered snowchecked Timbersled Aro 120LE. Hope this is worth all this $$$ I am dropping. Keeping my Polaris Pro as a back up ride this year just in case I am wrong. My only experience is 1 hour demo and 1 day rental to make sure. And look what I am spending for this new addition! I tested out the YZ450FX and did not like the wide ratio trans after I rode the YZ450F! Way better with the kit to have the close ratio trans. Considered KTM and Husky but they are just too much $$$. So happy to ride blue and not red (CRF450RX). Which were my top contenders. I am very interested in this thread to see what you experienced snow bikers are doing and how you set up your bikes. So when you guys develop your perfect snow bike settings on your new Yamaha app. You will need to share this information to us quiet readers that don't normally post anything!

Nice one. That will be a fun bike! As far as settings go, i know pr2 is busy devoloping it's contrller for the 18.

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
After riding both last season and comparing the Snow Bike fun aspect of the right bike for the job. I would go YZ450F all day long.
The high revving big power and close ratio of the trans all say FUN!!!! The kicker is the main down side, but it is not a big deal for a seasoned rider. When I was new to the sport I dropped my bike regularly and needed electric start. Now 5 seasons later I do not care if it is kick or easy button. I am a much better rider now and do not struggle with needing electric start any more. I think you will find your self in the same position.

I would suggest the 14-18 years. I am not a huge fan of the tornado exhaust of the earlier years. I will be riding the new 18' YZ450F this season to check out the increased power of 13:1 compression and electric start. I love the fact that they put the starter on the clutch and not the flywheel, like the FX. It should give the high end snap we are looking for that the FX could not deliver because of the heavy flywheel.
Doesnt that high end snap comes at the expense of lower electrical power output making heated bars and good lights less of an option?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

S

s.back

Jan 29, 2017
rohnert park, ca.
stator output is 90 watts. I mounted a small battery behind my headlight. this helped out a lot. now my head light doesn't flicker at low rpm also helps start up my fan and doesn't max out my stator.

N
Nov 28, 2015
Utah
Won't the smartphone app do the same thing?

Nice one. That will be a fun bike! As far as settings go, i know pr2 is busy devoloping it's contrller for the 18.

Why not just find and adjust the bike through the smart phone app? I would guess I would want to stay with the Yamaha Cumputer and not change it to an aftermarket if I can change to the conditions? I am not sure their is a Atmospheric pressure sensor on my bike. That I can see would be better. Is the PR2 the cats meow to these mountain bikes? Are we seguesting that as an engine saver or power increaser? I will be riding 8-10000 elevation most the time. Would that be a concern?

Premium Features