• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 "fix"

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Here is what I found on tear down. Interesting to note that both pistons looked marginal on the exhaust side but both had damage on the intake side. Beware, the Y pipe inspection method would not have revealed this.

attachment.php

PTO exhaust side
attachment.php

Mag exhaust side
attachment.php

PTO intake side
attachment.php

Mag intake side

After measuring I found both sides had 0.008" piston to cylinder clearance.

Cylinders were still nice and just under the recommended spec for the Fix kit of 3.347". With a light hone they came out perfect at this dimension.

New clearance is now right around 0.0040" to 0.0045"

One other thing I noticed is that my wrist pin bearings looked fairly "blued" from heat or possible limited lube so I will change them out as another precautionary step.

DSC00968.jpg DSC00969.jpg DSC00970.jpg DSC00971.jpg DSC00976.jpg

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
One question I have for PMSPOLARIS or others is when installing the kit, what is the target spec for wall clearance and ring end gap. As it stands now I have 0.0040" on wall clearance and spot on 0.019" ring end gap. This is right at the minimum spec on both. Ring end gap is recommended at 0.019-0.028" Am I better to be in the middle of the range or on the tight end? Some opinions please. I will leave it right at 0.019" if that is the best option.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
GKR...scoring on my pistons were on same side of pistons...both sides of skirt though, but worse. Similar mileage, 1250 miles. Just placing your new pistons in the cylinder for a test fit, you will notice a huge difference. Color on top of piston looks good, your PCV map is working for you. People that like these sleds should be doing this. Keep the update posts coming.

J

Joe57

Mar 6, 2008
upper Green Wyo..........
09 800 D

I agree with you 100%. I am sitting here with a 2010 800 Dragon 155 with 1000 miles on it. Warranty about to runout. As much as i want a Pro, I really don't want to spend the money because this dragon is an awesome sled.I JUST DON'T TRUST IT!! i would rather spend the money though and get a new sled with warranty rather than have this one cost me $2000 down the road and still have a 3 or 4 year old sled. Do i want a Pro? Yes. just didn't want to feel like i HAVE to buy one. I do HAVE to buy one right??? at least that's what i'm gonna tell the wife!!!:behindsofa:
I was in the same boat as you I put in the Mtn tek kit ,Gary @ Buckies got mine warrentied jugs and pistons I bought the kit they installed it and kept the oem pistons for the price of the rebuild , I sold it for 5 grand and am holding the paper on it till it gets payed off.I'm riding a 2012 pro with 4 years of peace of mind......The Dragon runs waaaay better than it ever did new... But I didn't trust it....I was working with a guy that had his burn down sat.800 miles.

B
Mar 17, 2014
What's the verdict?

Just smoked my 2008 RMK 800 Dragon 163" for the second time. Can't afford another sled but I am sure not going to put OEM parts back in it. Which fix kit is better? MTNTK or Dragon Saver?

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
MTNTK KIT BY FAR!

I have both...i am not afraid to ride my 09 with the MTNTK but everytime i get on my 10 with the no name kit i am running scared thats why i carry a tow rope with that sled!!

call and chat with them ....at least you can get the answers you are looking for...

S
Feb 11, 2013
Lake Tapps, Wa
Newbie question warning......I have an 08 800 as well and I'm wondering if my sled already has the MTNTK kit installed. When I bought the sled I didn't do much research, but I swear I remember the guy mentioning he had done something to the motor like this. How would I be able to tell? If it's not already done I'll definitely be doing it as well.

S

St0rm77

Oct 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Alberta
if there is the MTNTK kit, there will be a 1/4" spacer between the case and cylinders of a different metal than the engine's aluminum.
other kits, i wouldn't know

Premium Features