• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boss Noss install 2009 D8 800 the NPFI kit with pics

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Nos ?

? for you all that have this system up and running. What HP nozzles did you go with? 40 or 60 HP? I have a 08 d8 and I am thinking that 40 should do it. I ran 30 last year with the attitude box adding fuel but I think this new nfpi is the sh#t. When you say you gained 800 rpm what did you start at? That sounds like you were spinning pretty fast to me. I am clutching for between 8250 and 8400 but dont really want to see 9000. any input is always appreciated!

S

sledx.net

Dec 6, 2007
MN
www.sledx.net
2007 D7 Boss Noss Installation 60hp NPFI (pics)

Installed my Boss Noss NPFI mixing nozzles just before Christmas in a 2007 Dragon 700. Ordered from Kerry, shipped 2day, and delivery was right on time Christmas Eve day. Installation was easy, about 3hrs. Operation was even easier, No worrying about how much fuel to dial in. Just press the button and the mixing nozzles do the rest. The nos nozzles are 60hp mixed with 110 octane fuel and you definitely know it. Worth every penny. Tested the system in Colorado 4 days during christmas/new years week. Worked perfect. Even called Kerry from there with questions. He was available every time I called before shipment and after. I had the previous Boss Noss carb and also the EFI, but didn't care for those. Definitely prefer the NPFI mixing nozzle design. No tweaking necessary. Push the button and go. Enjoy.

SNC00260.jpg

SNC00264.jpg

SNC00266.jpg

SNC00269.jpg

SNC00256.jpg

F
Mar 25, 2008
Installed my Boss Noss NPFI mixing nozzles just before Christmas in a 2007 Dragon 700. Ordered from Kerry, shipped 2day, and delivery was right on time Christmas Eve day. Installation was easy, about 3hrs. Operation was even easier, No worrying about how much fuel to dial in. Just press the button and the mixing nozzles do the rest. The nos nozzles are 60hp mixed with 110 octane fuel and you definitely know it. Worth every penny. Tested the system in Colorado 4 days during christmas/new years week. Worked perfect. Even called Kerry from there with questions. He was available every time I called before shipment and after. I had the previous Boss Noss carb and also the EFI, but didn't care for those. Definitely prefer the NPFI mixing nozzle design. No tweaking necessary. Push the button and go. Enjoy.

View attachment 92636

View attachment 92637

View attachment 92638

View attachment 92639

View attachment 92643

you did great on the install, it looks awsome, but i have suggestion. i don't think your going to like your NOS button, unless you've ran one before and liked it. most nitrous kits run a throttle switch, which makes life much easier.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
I have a question about this system. I have an 09 D8 with the update and have been told that if I am going to run nitrous that i need a fuel controller. I talked to Boss Noss today and they told me that with the new npfi system I do not need a fuel controller, due to the dual bottles. However, in the pics it looks like there is definitely a fuel controller installed.
Also, I spoke with my mechanic and his concern is running out of race gas and then using the bottle, which could case some serious problems, also not getting enough oil to the engine.
Can you guys that have already installed help straighten some things out for me.

Thanks

2strokes_are_awesome

Dec 8, 2007
Flat and Boring
I'm with Jbusch on this one. I have an 08 D8 and really interested in getting this kit based on all the positive feedback but what am I gonna have to spend on extras just to get this to work?

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alright, so I talked to Kerry over at Boss Noss and have the skoop, The controller pictured in these installs is called their smart box and it is the box where all of the solenoids and fuel controllers are in. Which comes with the standard system. And they recommend that you run a 20-1 premix in the race fuel bottle to make sure that your engine is getting enough oil when on the bottle. It works with my exisiting pcIII and my other mods. I am pretty sold on this kit.

S

sledx.net

Dec 6, 2007
MN
www.sledx.net
Yep, the smartbox is in the pictures (orange). The fuel controller is what I have for sale if someone wants to modify efi settings, like leaner or richer mid-range fuel delivery. The NPFI does not need the fuel controller/mapper. The race fuel bottle will last much longer than a 2.8lb NOS bottle. So if you fill the race fuel bottle when the NOS bottle is filled no chance of running out of fuel before NOS.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
sledx I see that you are running the 60hp nozzles and was wondering how many miles you have put on your sled and what your thoughts are on engine longevity with the 60hp vs the 40hp nozzles. Also, how is your reliability at this point?

S

sledx.net

Dec 6, 2007
MN
www.sledx.net
you did great on the install, it looks awsome, but i have suggestion. i don't think your going to like your NOS button, unless you've ran one before and liked it. most nitrous kits run a throttle switch, which makes life much easier.

Using a black low profile weather proof NOS button on the bottom of my left grip positioned so my index finger pushes it with a full grip. On/Off switch prevents accidental spray. Typically switch on when entering an area that added power might be needed.

S

sledx.net

Dec 6, 2007
MN
www.sledx.net
Engine longevity is relative to how the engine is treated with or without NOS. I ran 30hp nozzles and wasn't satisfied. Mixing 20:1 in race fuel. Using the NOS when my RPMs are pulled down, bringing RPM back up to 8200 to make power, which is normal operating power band range. Not holding the NOS button for extended periods of time is another way to reduce chance of failure, 5-10 seconds goes along way. Engine reliability is good until it fails, but who knows what will cause the failure. I like the fact that the NOS use is in my control, on/off when I need it. Something else to consider, riding in high elevation reduces total HP by at least 25%, 140*.75 leaves 105Hp, adding 60hp results in 165HP which is 25hp over stock. In my opinion the engine can handle adding 25hp.

Last edited:

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
good point about the 25 over stock. I never thought of it that way.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Dyno Numbers

Does anyone have actual dyno numbers for the 60 hp shot? I doubt that its truly 60hp. I bet its around 30 actual hp on the 60 shot. Stock dragon of 150hp is probable 180hp on the 60hp shot if your lucky. Those that run the 60 hp shot how big of difference on highmarking do you see. Say you run up the hill as far as you can without nos, then another time up, not in the same track, how much higher can you go in fresh powder?

Premium Features