• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viper clutch test today

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Bought another Viper today and did a fresh out of the box real world test.

2014 XTX Viper just out of crate, Myself, the shop owner, and his mechanic ride it. It is what we expected from a new Viper.

I put a 3 millimeter shim in the primary clutch under the primary spring and change the belt from the Viper 8jp belt to a Nytro 8dn belt (belt change was so I do not get belt dust in my clutch, and is unlikely it had any performance effect) ONLY CHANGE IS BOOSTING SPRING RATE WITH A 3 MM SHIM.

WOW, what a difference. Sled with stock setup spun the track a little, with shim it left big black marks for about a full car length and more. Not only did the shop owner marvel at the change we drew a crowd of around 7 or 8 people watching the test.

Now, of course you can do better than this in fact I have a 30-143 primary I am going to test so I can not use any shims. Or you can buy an Ulmer or Hartman kit. But for those that do not buy any vendor kits this seems to be the answer. This is a follow on from the clutch setup last winter, just felt I wanted to do a fresh test without any other modifications from stock to be certain of our testing.

Questions welcome but please don't bash something you have not tried,

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Stingray do you have any seat time on an M8 proclimb? The reason I ask is because I've got one in the garage and a viper on the way... just curious how they stack up to each other.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Stingray do you have any seat time on an M8 proclimb? The reason I ask is because I've got one in the garage and a viper on the way... just curious how they stack up to each other.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yep, my 2014 M8 is for sale now but don't care if it sells as it might be nice to have a backup sled. Fun wise I like both, but adding a turbo to the Viper makes the M8 a back up sled. Pic below of my M8 and the girlfriends Viper.

attachment.php

m8.jpg.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hmm
Maybe I should be getting a 2nd Viper as well.
Its always good to have a matched backup unit just in case :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Tried a orange/silver/orange, 35-143 without a spacer and it wasn't much better than stock. Put a 3 mm shim in it and WOW it lit it up. I can't seem to get the results I want without a spacer under the primary spring.

Premium Features