• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 xp clutch problems

D
Jan 23, 2013
Okay so I am having issues with my 2008 ski doo summit xp 800 154" Everest. My clutch was making a knocking noise so I brought it to a dealer and they said that they put a new clutch in. When I looked at the "new" clutch I could obviously tell it wasn't new. It had black scuffs all over it. Then my sled wouldn't idle worth a darn. It was a pain to start and had to keep tapping the throttle to keep it running. Even when it was warm. We played with the idler and nothing has changed. I have brought it back to the dealer 2 more times and they say they fixed it but nothing has changed. They have charged me each time. I am done bringing it to them and want to fix it myself. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I am guessing what they meant is that they rebuilt the clutch. As far as the idleing issues have you pulled carbs and cleaned them? New gas? New plugs? Adjust choke? 08 is getting to be an older sled.. Might need a bit of tlc

P
Jul 10, 2008
Okay so I am having issues with my 2008 ski doo summit xp 800 154" Everest. My clutch was making a knocking noise so I brought it to a dealer and they said that they put a new clutch in. When I looked at the "new" clutch I could obviously tell it wasn't new. It had black scuffs all over it. Then my sled wouldn't idle worth a darn. It was a pain to start and had to keep tapping the throttle to keep it running. Even when it was warm. We played with the idler and nothing has changed. I have brought it back to the dealer 2 more times and they say they fixed it but nothing has changed. They have charged me each time. I am done bringing it to them and want to fix it myself. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

I'd say you need to learn how engines, clutches and sleds in general work or your gonna be giving the stealership a lot of money. Repairing clutches or idle issues are easy things to do. Remember mechanics is generally nuts and bolts, do get intimidated. Buy a shop manual and start wrenching. Its the only way your gonna learn

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Druff, How many miles on your '08? One thing I see often on the early 800R's is crank problems. A clutch that is worn out prematurely is a red flag to look close at crank runout. If the dealer didn't find anything obvious with idling/running issues, I would ask if they checked the PTO crank runout when they had the clutch off? It should be standard procedure to check, but many dealers don't. This can cause a variety of running issues. Hopefully it's not your problem, but something to check if the carbs/jets are clean, choke adjusted properly, good gas etc...

D
Jan 23, 2013
Yes i cleaned the carbs, put it new gas multiple times, and changed the plugs twice. Not sure what else to try but have someone look at the clutch

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
And chance the belt deflection is too tight? That would cause the problems you describe and leave black marks. ???

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Druff, How many miles on your '08? One thing I see often on the early 800R's is crank problems. A clutch that is worn out prematurely is a red flag to look close at crank runout. If the dealer didn't find anything obvious with idling/running issues, I would ask if they checked the PTO crank runout when they had the clutch off? It should be standard procedure to check, but many dealers don't. This can cause a variety of running issues. Hopefully it's not your problem, but something to check if the carbs/jets are clean, choke adjusted properly, good gas etc...

what I was thinking... may check run out and if bad and there is an air leak... that would be the problems (of early clutch failure and irregular idle)

M
Dec 27, 2010
Washington
The most likely and common cause of your initial banging problem was the garbage composite bushing Doo started using in 08 in the sliding sheave wearing out and wrecking the sliding sheave. Hopefully your dealer was quality enough to not put that back in and used the earlier model fiber bushing. As for your idle issue now check the ride height in the secondary to make sure the clutches aren't trying to engage pulling the motor down. Did you put a new belt on after the clutch was rebuilt? If the old one is still on it's most likely worn funny from the sliding sheave not moving squarely.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Run Quality

When you say "clean the carbs" did you replace the pilot jets? These little suckers are impossible to clean and are only $5 each to replace. They are the first thing to plug up after the summer storage.

Brew's advice on clutch run out is next inline as is checking belt deflection.

Premium Features