• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

84 el Tigre

L
Jun 4, 2011
pinedale wy
I'm just trolling for some suggestions. I just picked up an 84 el Tigre rus good except needs a good clutch cleaning. The guy I bought it from was mixing a qt. of oil to 5 gallons of gas and also tossing in half a bottle of heat. He said that's what the old boy he bought it from was running in it. With 2500 miles showing on it should I be messing with the mix or just keep doing what works. Also if any one has an idea on where to find parts for the beast That would be helpfull thanks

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
So a 20:1 mix... pretty common back in those days. I don't know about the half bottle of heat... if you are buying gas from a good station and you are making sure you store the sled and trailer it so it doesn't get a lot of exposure to water you shouldn't have to put heat in every tank.

You might bump the mix up to 32:1, but if 20:1 is working I don't know that I'd change it.

What parts do you need/want? Pretty scarce in the way of aftermarket stuff as far as add-ons... but the aftermarket has all sorts of mechanical parts for it.

sled_guy

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I had one of those. Run alot of good oil...20:1 is overkill, but 30-35:1 would be good.
Cranks were the weak link on that 500.
Clutch is a Comet 102C if you need parts or just a whole new clutch.

L
Jun 4, 2011
pinedale wy
I haven't had time to really go Throug every thing but hit the clutch with liberal amounts of WD40 and it stopped sticking it makes for a pretty cool grocery getter.

Premium Features