• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about buying a 96 Powder Special

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Hey, as mentioned above I'm considering buying the sled I'm going to look at it tomorrow, the guy claims the sled is bone stock, and the odo reads ~1725 and he wants $1000
Could you guys tell me your opinion of this sled? I'm buying as a spare sled for the family as well as a sled for my occasional friend to tag along, My current ride is an 04 700 and my two sleds before this were an XLT and an Ultra (I've only ridden Polaris), so coming off of these how does this sled compare to the XLT and Ultra? It really needs to be a decent sled because I don't have a lot of money right now and I would like the best bang for my buck.
Thanks.

S
Sep 16, 2010
96 powder specials were kind of heavy, but everything else back then was too! If its in good shape, it could be a good buy. I picked up a 98 powder special a couple of years ago for the same reason, for an extra sled so the whole family can get out every now and then. It doesn't get a lot of miles, and most of them are spent with the kids on the trails. It has worked good for me, a good workhorse.

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
My thing is this sled will be taken out at most every other weekend if I can, so it might get a fair amount of miles, I'm not sure. Could you say if this is going to be a sled I sell again next year and try and find another sled on another budget? or will I be happy with it for at least 2 seasons?

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
I agree with snowdingo. The 580 is a great engine, but you need to keep an eye on the clutch weight bushings. Make sure the weights are running straight. If the clutch gets out of balance it can take crankshaft bearings out. Also replace the pistons at about 2500 miles. The OEM pistons have a habit of the pins that keep the rings from turning fall out and let the ends of the rings get in the exhaust ports and break. I would replace with SPI pistons, I have never had one of them loose the ting locating pins. I have a friend who has over 11000 miles on a 96 Powder Special and has no major troubles because he has taken good care of it.

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Well needless to say I didn't buy it both the carb boots were cracked, while one was half missing, the primary clutch was very dirty, and there was some sort of oil/fuel mixture leaking from the head/y pipe on the mag side.

Premium Features