• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low bars?

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
I think the best fix on the new pro would be to lower the bars. In Mountain biking we are always trying to get the bars as low as possible so we can turn. Is the same true for snow?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Without anyone spending any real time on the sled, it is WAY TOO early to make any assumptions. How do you know, it isn't perfectly setup? The height on the IQ I think was perfectly fine, I would imagine it will be fine.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Depends on the riding you do (MTB or Sledding) and how tall you are. Not one set-up works for everyone regardless. I bought a 2" riser for mine. I rode a demo Pro and it was a bit too low for me as i'm 6'1". My D8 was set up maybe a bit too tall. 4" Skinz bars with a stock D7 (shorter) riser. I liked being able to stand up comfortably, but I think it hinders a bit in maneuverability in steep climbing. To each their own though, and may the most comfortable set-up win!

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Your post also reminded me of riding my old '02 800 RMK. It has some sort of riser on it, but even still, when I jump on it to get it unstuck or just to ride it when I bring someone up, I can't help but feel like my elbows are resting on my knees and having the feeling of no control for boondocking or laying it over without a fight. Again, it's whatever you feel comfortable with, but I think milehighassasin has a point with the Poo guys testing a ton of set-ups coming up with what they build and ultimately sell to the masses. I think those boys can ride (as I saw on my demo day!) and they know what works best! As chassis change, so do the set ups.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
No comparison. The forks for MTB's got so tall that the industry needed to go to lower rise and wider bars for better weighting of the front wheel necessary for cornering control in DH race situations. A sled has so much weight over the skis from the motor that this will never be an issue; only concern is ergonomics!

Have FUN!

G MAN

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
Low bars

I guess i was thinking adjustable bars like the m8. Ones you can lower when you are in a bad positon where the sled could roll over (slingshot effect) high side. Then you could raise them to huck. Maybe i am dreaming again.
Definately want dh bars as low as possible for cornering. Little different in mtb. Bad analogy on Saturday night...

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Strange, most "DH" bars are risers! I know closer to the wheel is optimum for most, but again, to each their own. I run risers on my all mountain bike too.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
The Rox system is a great idea, and you're right about the slingshot effect - especially when carving down steeps (Chris Burandt certainly advocates low bars).

As for MTB's, the riser thing is dead these days. I can't believe how much more control I have with 5mm rise 31" wide bars on my M3!!! Using Spank Spike 777 EVO's and LOVE THEM!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
ya i thought the same. normal principal for dirtbikes an mtn bikes is low bars = faster an more control. On sleds i think its different though. with low bars you poach the ground with high bars you catwalk an play around lol .

Premium Features