• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some help from some Polaris folks...

8hundo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2001
Sturgis, SD
I am looking at an 02 RMK 500(Gen 2 apparently) liquid cooled elec start w/ reverse as a wife/11 year old novice sled for trail riding and getting the ol' feet wet boondocking. It has 1400 miles on it and seems to be in good shape. Question is: been a Cat guy so I don't know much about Polaris, particularly this 500 >> is this a good reliable machine? I believe I can buy it for a grand. Thoughts? Opinions? Thank you in advance.

T
Dec 25, 2007
Any of the small block Polaris motors (440, 500, 600) were/are bulletproof. I can't remember if this motor is with or without variable exhaust, but either way it was a stout motor for a 500. With the electric start it gains a bit of weight, but it will be forgiving on a weaker arm. At a 1000 bucks you could add a few things that this is going to need. Namely a set of Better Boards, a handlebar riser and mountain strap, and maybe a deeper lug track for when she goes off trail. 1.25" really stinks (that's what I started with). That and the skis from that sled dart a lot on trail. If you could afford it, I would look for a 2002 or newer 600 RMK in the EDGE chassis as the motor is significantly more powerful (smooth power though), and the chassis is more user friendly than the Gen II. But, if this is your price range, it seems like a good deal...good luck with the first outings!

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I think this would be a good sled for what you need it for. The engine is very reliable as is the rest of the running gear. If it only has 1400 miles on it everything should be good. Just go through the bearings in the skid when you get it to see if any are rough. Check sliders etc. In other words just regular maintenance stuff. Polaris clutches are pretty much trouble free. Buy it and try it. If your wife or 11 year old don't like it then you won't have any trouble selling it.

Last edited:
T
Sep 10, 2009
meridian ID
that is the king of pull and go sleds, the 500 liquid made around 80 ponies and runs forever. they will surprise you with their off trail ability but it requires some aggressive riding....keep it pinned!! I would pick it up for sure:face-icon-small-hap

8hundo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2001
Sturgis, SD
Thanks alot for the responses. Sounds like it will be a good machine for its intended purpose.

Premium Features