• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'06 900 Elevation Issue

dyrengd

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
For the last 5 rides, when I come down the canyon, the '06 900 runs like crap. I do most of my riding between 9,000 and 10,500 and when I come home it will only run at full throttle or idle. The sled has 320 mile, any ideas?

dyrengd

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
The sled is stock, except for a slp can, vents on both sides, slp torque and push arms. I don't have a code reader (how much and where do I buy?). The check engine light flashed 6 times once, the rest of the time the check engine light will flash once every once in a while on the way down the canyon. The seld runs good while I am playing, but the ride home is an absolute rodeo.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
The sled is stock, except for a slp can, vents on both sides, slp torque and push arms. I don't have a code reader (how much and where do I buy?). The check engine light flashed 6 times once, the rest of the time the check engine light will flash once every once in a while on the way down the canyon. The seld runs good while I am playing, but the ride home is an absolute rodeo.
You don`t need a code reader, the computer will give you codes by number of flashes:
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2141278&postcount=2

6 flashes is detonation sensor
1 flash is TPS

Bad TPS setting, dead spot in the TPS, and TPS wiring are all common issues on these sleds.
I don`t know how that could translate to an elevation thing in your case but since it flashed the code, it`s a good place to start. They can cause all sorts of weird issues when they are acting up.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
TPS sensor would be my Bet! Everything you need to know to check it is in the "how to" links at the top of the page in the 9 section !

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
tps sensor, the engine gets hot and the tp swells and starts to stick this just happened to me. make sure to check the connection on the tp too mine had corrosion on the pins. i replaced the connector and tp and made sure to put dielectric grease in all the connections on the sled.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I would check the TPS sensor with the analog meter first I bet you'll find it has a dead spot . We had the same problem a few weeks ago with a buddies sled.

H
Nov 11, 2009
I have a question also. I am a flat land rider out in michigan. If i decide I want to go ride in the rockies or in the moutains anywhere, do i need to tune the sled at all? will the sled start going crazy and get all funky when i ride at different elevations other than what i am at right now?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I have a question also. I am a flat land rider out in michigan. If i decide I want to go ride in the rockies or in the moutains anywhere, do i need to tune the sled at all? will the sled start going crazy and get all funky when i ride at different elevations other than what i am at right now?

Clutching would need a bit of adjustment because off power loss at elevation .

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
why would it lose power and how should the clutch be changed? is it easy to change back and forth?
All naturally aspirated engine lose power at higher elevation because of air density, there is simply less oxygen available as elevation increases.

You can change weights, or spring in the primary to compensate for this and maintain your optimal rpm. I find weights easier to change on the trail-side but they are alot more expensive. Either way... yes it will be easy to swap back and forth.

dyrengd

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
Ok..... Between tending my 4yrs old and 2yrs old, I finally built a tester and checked the TPS. Everything checks out, I hooked put the analog tester and checked for dead spots after several slow tests runs on the throttle. I did find a loose wire in the connector. Is there anyway to fix this, and do i need the new harness. Also, is there anyway to fix this for the short term as we are getting snow as we speak, and I want to go for a sleigh ride tomorrow if possible. Any help or suggestions would we wonderful.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I think most pull it apart and replace the wires But I have never done this personally so a second opinion would be a good idea. I would replace the harness when you get the chance. If you do you can use the old one for you tester kit. hopefully one of the fellas that has done the quick repair on the harness will chime in soon. Good luck

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
you can pull the wires out of the connectors and replace the wires. you just cut the wires off and solder new wires to the terminal end. i just did this to one of my connectors this week.just do one at a time so you don't mix them up.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I replaced my harness on my 900, then used the old connector end for the TPS tester..then on the wifes sled, i just carefully took the wires from the connector and cut about about a foot and put in new wires, and used the old pins and soldered them in the connector...was quick, cheap and has been working great..its a good option if you got about 30mins...but with kids..im sure there is none of that, lol..

dyrengd

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
It looks like the loose wire to the TPS was the issue. I went for a ride today and all was well. Thanks for the tips on were to look and how to fix. And just to make everyone's day, the 900 was once again the highmark champion.:face-icon-small-hap When running right nothing beats the 900!

Premium Features