• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05 Starts but Display flashes

T
Oct 31, 2012
When I start my '05 900, it always starts with the first 3 pulls, but it's like it has a low idle. The display flashes on and off. RPM gauge goes up and down. And the Electrical System Voltage reads low on the display.

Once I've ridden it a bit, it runs find, display doesn't fluctuate and the Electrical System Voltage reads full. If it were a car, I'd think the alternator or battery was shot, but I know that's not the game we're playing here.

I've been reading other forums, and can't figure out where to start. Any thoughts fellow sledneckers?

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
When was the last time you checked your TPS? What is the idle after you start it? Do the lights cut-out too?

To me it sounds like a capacitor problem. Does the sled have electric start? if not then I would check the capicitor, doesn't sound like it is holding a charge at the lower R's or it could be stator.... Check the capacitor first and work from there

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
The display will cut out if the idle is low..It has a relay that doesnt cut in till a certain rpm...set the idle and your display wont cut out

^ This is true and why I asked questions above; however, there are things other than setting the idle that can cause it. Ultimately the RPM/relay is probably why the tach/gauge cuts out (particularly if lights are cutting out too); however, I've seen this happen when the inner ring of the flywheel was coming out and cutting into the stator wires, when the TPS wiring harness was failing, when the TPS was not set properly and when running on one cylinder due to pushed pin on coil connector.

While a low mfd voltage reading is an indication that the capacitor is bad it is unlikely your capacitor is bad because your mfd voltage comes up with RPMs.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
When I start my '05 900, it always starts with the first 3 pulls, but it's like it has a low idle. The display flashes on and off. RPM gauge goes up and down. And the Electrical System Voltage reads low on the display.

Once I've ridden it a bit, it runs find, display doesn't fluctuate and the Electrical System Voltage reads full. If it were a car, I'd think the alternator or battery was shot, but I know that's not the game we're playing here.

I've been reading other forums, and can't figure out where to start. Any thoughts fellow sledneckers?

What does it idle at when she is warmed up?

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
i'm having a similar problem. display flashes on startup and sometimes goes normal. Other times it flashes then goes blank I shut it off restart it and it's flashes then its fine. I checked the capacitor it's fine. lights are on.

I haven't had this sled long. three rides... first ride= it occasionally wouldn't start unless i cracked the throttle while pulling rope otherwise no problems.
second ride= a little problem with the display flashing and not always going into reverse.
third ride= display flashes on startup and sometimes goes normal. Other times it flashes then goes blank I shut it off restart it and it's flashes then its fine. erratic idle sounds like intermittent fouling plug difficult to get into reverse.
no problems above idle at all except display being blank and i shut it down for that.

P.S. I heard somewhere there is a small watch type battery for the display??? can anyone confirm and could this be my problem?

Premium Features