• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rooster Built clutch kit review

O
Feb 11, 2010
This is not an endorsement of any kind because i have not tried Brews stuff nor do i have any plans to..... What i do know when reading Brews posts and having a few private discusssion over the past few years with Brew is his clear understanding for the TRA setup in a "mountain application".

I know this to be a fact based simpley from my discussions with Brew VS. my discussion with other "clutch kit sellers" who struggle to get the power to the track.

OT

H

Highmarker01

Feb 15, 2010
Rooster built clutch kits

I have purchased 6 clutch kits from Paul this year alone, I have alot of different clutch kits which all work better than stock, However week after week the high mark on the mountain or the fastest up the hill always seems to be the sleds with Rooster built clutch kits in them . They work great !!!

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
My kit didn't perform up to snuff, won't pull 8200, talked to Paul when I bought it 2 seasons ago, tried a couple things, was tuff to do much tuning at low elevation and only a couple trips to the mountains, just rode it this winter and lived with it, 3 rides this winter, may be done for the season again with clutching unresolved. Oh Well.:face-icon-small-fro

Rooster Built

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
The mountains of WA, OR, ID, BC
I am really sorry to hear that you have been unhappy with your kit. We would love to have a chance to make it right. Please call us at(253)333-8533 weekdays between 2:30pm-6:00pm. Leave a message if no one answers and we will call you back. Thanks

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
I am really sorry to hear that you have been unhappy with your kit. We would love to have a chance to make it right. Please call us at(253)333-8533 weekdays between 2:30pm-6:00pm. Leave a message if no one answers and we will call you back. Thanks

Thanks- will try to tear the clutches apart on my next days off in a week. Not really something I wanted to doo again any time soon, but need to do it and double check everything. Speaking of the secondary of course, primary is simple. My sled always acted like it had to much weight in it, have to run the clickers in 4 pretty much, never did hold rpm. Last ride out with firmer snow conditions it of course would rev 8200 or over rev, to where i would bump the clickers down to 3, then we'd find some deeper snow and it would be lugging to 7750-7900 rpm, back up with the clickers.
After I'd bought the kit, I talked to Paul a couple times, removed the tower brace and ran it, didn't really seem to matter.
Not that you guys havn't been willing to help remedy the problem, fact that when I drive 6 hrs. to ride sled for a couple days, I'm not going to be pulling that damn secondary out to play with it, then of course back home at 2200' is sensless to try tuning that kit here.
If and when I get it taken apart, I will give you guys a shout, I can't even remember if I'd taken weight out of the primary. pretty much installed as recommended when I bought the kit a couple years ago, right to changing to the top gear.

Nov 13, 2008
I bought a 09 summit 800 163 with 2.5 camo extreme and a rooster built clutch kit. I have no stock comparison to go against but I can say the rb kit is nothing short of amazing. Back shift is instant and it holds rpms great. I live in mn and make a few trips to Cooke each year so I don't have time to mess with clutching. Their kit lets me pull the rope and ride while laying a mark on the hill my buddies can't touch I can't wait to try it out this season as all the wear parts in my clutch were shot and springs were sacked out. All these parts bad and I was still impressed with the kit. I'm guessing the kit had about 1500-2000 miles on it with the belt around that too. Also their customer service is great too. I pmed winter brew here a few times and talked to one of the other guys in the shop. They got me the replacement parts out fast. Only gripe I have is the shipping takes too long but that's ups's fault not theirs. I would definitely recommend spending the money on their kit, it's well worth it. Only bad about their kit is it don't work for me at home, about 800 ft elevation, but I didn't expect it to!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I bought a 09 summit 800 163 with 2.5 camo extreme and a rooster built clutch kit. I have no stock comparison to go against but I can say the rb kit is nothing short of amazing. Back shift is instant and it holds rpms great. I live in mn and make a few trips to Cooke each year so I don't have time to mess with clutching. Their kit lets me pull the rope and ride while laying a mark on the hill my buddies can't touch I can't wait to try it out this season as all the wear parts in my clutch were shot and springs were sacked out. All these parts bad and I was still impressed with the kit. I'm guessing the kit had about 1500-2000 miles on it with the belt around that too. Also their customer service is great too. I pmed winter brew here a few times and talked to one of the other guys in the shop. They got me the replacement parts out fast. Only gripe I have is the shipping takes too long but that's ups's fault not theirs. I would definitely recommend spending the money on their kit, it's well worth it. Only bad about their kit is it don't work for me at home, about 800 ft elevation, but I didn't expect it to!

Thanks, glad its working well. We can dial you in for any elevation, for that much change it will only take a pin weight change and it could use a taller gear also....obviously not the ideal road or lake setup, but no slouch either.

Nov 13, 2008
I don't ride it here much, less than 50 miles a year. I did just put new pistons in though and was riding it a little the other day to break it in. I noticed if I ran it around 7k rpms that it would trip off the check engine light for engine knock. But 6500 it never set it off. I'm guessing I have to fatten up the mid range. It isn't a problem at elevation.

Premium Features