• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kick starting in deep snow

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
For you riders who do not have electric start, how difficult is it to start a big bore 4 stroke in deep snow?

I have a xr650r and know there are times when it is hard enough to kick it on solid ground, esp after it falls over.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Its actually easier in deep snow the ski sets in its track and the bike wont tip over so you can stand on the pegs and kick.

The question you should be asking is will the bike work. They are really heavy and only have 40hp stock. I know they can be turned up but still no where close to a 10 year old clapped out 450. They don't even make fit kits for the 650. If you custom build a fit kit it will probable be the most reliable snow bike out there but not going to perform or be much fun. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
An XR650 would make a great project. Big torquey beasts. A little porky but whatever. No motorcycle is perfect, but they're all fun.
Kicking a bike in the snow is no problem. As long as you have your starting routine dialed. I agree that deep snow that holds your bike stable is perfect,most times better than dirt. A few times per season your bike will end up in an awkward position to kick. Who cares.It's just snow. Take a minute to move things around and start it and ride away. Unless you have some physical disability, You'll be fine.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I know it’s porky but I can hold my own with the 450’s I ride with in the dirt. Not saying I can keep up with them in the trees, just saying I am not holding them back much.

I have ridden this beast since 2000, so the starting procedure is ok, though there are times it’s like holy fock, lol.

Happy to hear about kick starting in snow. Not so worried about that now.

Reliable as they come, that is one reason I still have the xr650r. Jinxing myself, but I always joke that the std tool kit which comes with the bike contains only a spark plug wrench and I have never needed that except to change my plug every few years.

I will start another thread regarding what it would take to convert the xr.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
you would be much better off with a cheap YZ250 or CR250. MUCH better off.. lighter, easier to ride, still decent power. you can find early 00's yzs and crs cheap

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
For you riders who do not have electric start, how difficult is it to start a big bore 4 stroke in deep snow?

I have a xr650r and know there are times when it is hard enough to kick it on solid ground, esp after it falls over.
For sure if money is an issue just get a cheap yz250 .. I have one and works great. ... I think you will be disappointed with the 650...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
IMO a kick start / carb bike that’s hard to start after a spill is about the worst scenario I can imagine. I ride a 16yz w/ kick only but EFI so it starts easy. Its a lot more work for sure I put a rekluse clutch to minimize stalling and that was a huge improvement cause there area gonna be spills and tip overs etc . Lots of them ! Besides being a heavier bike the hard starts will wear you out.

Sometimes just getting on the bike is the toughest part. When there’s 40” of fresh The pegs can be well above my waist and I’m tall. Doesn’t matter if it’s a kicker or not at that point can be a fight just to get back on your seat

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
What he said 100% correct.

You just cannot beat the 450s the 650 will kill you lifting it up first and than kicking is 3 times as hard as a modern 450 ( e start is even better) 2 strokes are light and nimble but have no where near the power of the 450 nor the nice long power band -- the 450 easily beats the 650 or 2 strokes there. The 2 strokes are so far behind in power and delivery it is beyond what I would have expected. I still like them and may be persuaded to build one , but I would go into it knowing I cannot beat a 450 in anything but the tightest terrain.

B
IMO a kick start / carb bike that’s hard to start after a spill is about the worst scenario I can imagine. I ride a 16yz w/ kick only but EFI so it starts easy. Its a lot more work for sure I put a rekluse clutch to minimize stalling and that was a huge improvement cause there area gonna be spills and tip overs etc . Lots of them ! Besides being a heavier bike the hard starts will wear you out.

Sometimes just getting on the bike is the toughest part. When there’s 40” of fresh The pegs can be well above my waist and I’m tall. Doesn’t matter if it’s a kicker or not at that point can be a fight just to get back on your seat

Yup, everyone just looks at it like, ' . . . da, dee, doo, da, day, I'm going along and coming to a nice, easy, complete stop and I'm now sitting here like a pretty pony and now I need to kickstart my beautiful bike. Just stand and kick, see, easy.'

What could not be further from reality are tight trails, blowdowns, turnarounds, stalls, stucks, wipeouts, fall-overs, every single thing where, yes, the snow is so deep one will have trouble just getting the bike back upright, never mind the nice, light and agile 650cc elephant in the room. Some guys have no choice and have to kick, others will not go without an electric start bike.

My BIL had the battery dying when he first got his bike and spent two days having to kick the bike and it was brutal. Every scenario I had mentioned was happening and it is part of the fun as there aren't many who can keep the bike upright the entire ride-like me, that have the mad skillz to pull it off.

R
Apr 18, 2016
I'm going to agree with everyone here that the 650 will be heavy, and I think the 450 would probably be a better call. I am very familiar with the 650R, I have 2 of them. I ride them through everything, I have raced Baja on the things and I still think it is one of the best bikes ever built. It is the most reliable bike I have ever been around, but it is very heavy. I think the power although rated low would probably be O.K. because of how they torque along through stuff and how hard they pull. I don't see a problem at all with the power....for me it would be the weight. I have a kit on a CR500 which is not heavy bike and it can be tough to set upright under certain snow conditions or when dropped in certain areas. That would be it for me just getting that monster tipped back up when you drop it. I am a big guy and wouldn't want to fight that hard, plus the bike is really tall.

Premium Features