• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MotoTrax

B
Feb 18, 2009
Ok I know story for 2017 so no one needs to remind me but sounds like they got it mostly together now.

How does the MotoTrax handle compared to the other kits? I rented a YZ w/Camso and I really hated how planted the front end was. As I understand the MotoTrax kit is supposed to feel lighter in the front end and has more weight transfer. Is this true? How does it compare to an ARO side by side?

Thanks!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I had a mototrax along with one of my friends for sure not the case... Camso way more nimble....if you set the camso yo per the book it will have a heavy front end... All you have to do is adjust the rod.... I also did the same thing on the mototrax but could never get it to feel right
.. plus I really dislike the front spindle of the mototrax...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
I also had MOTOTRAX last year .....

PICS Had more fun this morning than I ever did with MTX. I still trenched , had that dirt bike feel , worked good if I poached my old tracks.

009.jpg 026.jpg 031.jpg 034.jpg

Last edited:
B
Feb 18, 2009
So the Mototrax does nothing better? I really like the idea and on paper sounds like a better skid for a bike... Seems like MotoTrax is the only one thinking outside the box. I can't help to believe some of the feedback is based on the quality issues. It will be a year to two before i build a snowbike so I guess I wait around and see what happens... Maybe I can catch a demo ride on one.

Thanks for the feedback.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Mototrax

I came off a 16 TS 120 to a 2017 mototrax enduro. My mototrax kit is know a hybrid. I have worked on it too much but, now prefer it to the TS. It has the mtx reinforced spindle with updated ski bump stop. It has a 2016 TS ski and the 2.5 convex TS track. I have the front yoke and an added spring on front of rear slide joint (opposite of where mtx suggested) . I know prefer it everywhere to the 16 TS but it is not as durable. It know climbs and performs in deep at least as good my 16 TS. The biggest difference/benefit for me is it maneuvers better in the trees or carving. I can hold a turn and can turn easier because the skid articulates/pivots allowing for easier lean and I think more cycle feel.

B
Feb 18, 2009
I came off a 16 TS 120 to a 2017 mototrax enduro. My mototrax kit is know a hybrid. I have worked on it too much but, now prefer it to the TS. It has the mtx reinforced spindle with updated ski bump stop. It has a 2016 TS ski and the 2.5 convex TS track. I have the front yoke and an added spring on front of rear slide joint (opposite of where mtx suggested) . I know prefer it everywhere to the 16 TS but it is not as durable. It know climbs and performs in deep at least as good my 16 TS. The biggest difference/benefit for me is it maneuvers better in the trees or carving. I can hold a turn and can turn easier because the skid articulates/pivots allowing for easier lean and I think more cycle feel.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback!

E
Dec 19, 2007
I run mtx spindles and ts skis on all my bikes now. My local bike pack is all on mtx kits with most of the updates. Imo the updates and failures aren't any different than the first 5 years of ts. If the new owners can actually run a business then mtx would be a good choice for a kit with a very fun bike feel. The ski isn't that great but neither is the yeti or camso imo.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I never rode one, but have heard some favourable comments on the last versions with all the upgrades.
One thing I did not like just looking at it is how far back the kit is mounted on the Bike. The weak point of the snowbike as we know it is that the track is to far back and the Rider and Engine weight is more on the ski instead of the track. Thats why we all look for the weight transfer to the back to keep the ski floating. As soon as you cut the power the ski wants to dive. With the track so far back this will never perform as well as it could with a track closer to the bike frame. My 2 cents worth. I would like to see them do well and keep improving. Them things are lightyears ahead of early timber sleds -- however the bar is a bit higher now.

B
Feb 18, 2009
I never rode one, but have heard some favourable comments on the last versions with all the upgrades.
One thing I did not like just looking at it is how far back the kit is mounted on the Bike. The weak point of the snowbike as we know it is that the track is to far back and the Rider and Engine weight is more on the ski instead of the track. Thats why we all look for the weight transfer to the back to keep the ski floating. As soon as you cut the power the ski wants to dive. With the track so far back this will never perform as well as it could with a track closer to the bike frame. My 2 cents worth. I would like to see them do well and keep improving. Them things are lightyears ahead of early timber sleds -- however the bar is a bit higher now.

In comparing some side profile views of an ARO kit and MotoTrax it looks like about 1-2 inches further back which I don't think it going to be that big of deal but it all depends on the ride quality.

Overall it seems like those that are giving Mototrax a chance with the 2018 updates really like the kits. Sure wish I could ride an ARO and MotoTrax side by side...

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Ive ridden and aro and my mototrax side by side. It was a deep powder day and the powder performances werent glaringly different but the on road bumps performance was better on the ARO. I’ve since adjusted the strut bar on my mtx and made some fork adjustments too that helped a lot. There’s quite a bit in the setup on these. I also have the basic mtx without the fancy shocks.

As far as kits that lean, the snowtech kit has been doing this pivot thing for a while too.

It’s worth noting that from what I can tell the entire management team at mototrax hasn’t been replaced and my last interaction with them was entirely different and way more positiv than ever before. They seem eager to rebuild the name and salvage the damage. I’m all about second chances, although I’d never have given the old company a second chance, I’m considering the new company a new company with work to do.

Last edited:
B
Feb 18, 2009
Ive ridden and aro and my mototrax side by side. It was a deep powder day and the powder performances werent glaringly different but the on road bumps performance was better on the ARO. I’ve since adjusted the strut bar on my mtx and made some fork adjustments too that helped a lot. There’s quite a bit in the setup on these. I also have the basic mtx without the fancy shocks.

As far as kits that lean, the snowtech kit has been doing this pivot thing for a while too.

It’s worth noting that from what I can tell the entire management team at mototrax hasn’t been replaced and my last interaction with them was entirely different and way more positiv than ever before. They seem eager to rebuild the name and salvage the damage. I’m all about second chances, although I’d never have given the old company a second chance, I’m considering the new company a new company with work to do.

That's good feedback and I can't help to think the MotoTrax kit has some advantages. It seems to me that they are the only ones thinking outside the box whereas everyone else is just using typical snowmobile design concepts which are not ideal for a snowbike. With that I being said I have high hopes for MotoTrax and hope they continue to refine their kit. I guess we'll see what happens in the next couple years.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
In comparing some side profile views of an ARO kit and MotoTrax it looks like about 1-2 inches further back which I don't think it going to be that big of deal but it all depends on the ride quality.

I find that 1/2 inch is actually quite noticeable, 2" is huge when you are looking at all the engine and rider weight that far forward. I have 2" rear set food pegs on my YZ450 with aro kit , that alone allows me to run whoops standing up like a dirt bike. And a wee bit of setup:face-icon-small-coo

In powder my setup with the 120 kit settles evenly in the snow when I let of the throttle instead of nose diving -- a nice change.

Last edited:

nilsmountain

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2008
Lemmenjoki,Finland

Was the ARO with TSS and TRIO ?

O
Feb 23, 2017
Happy with my 17 kit with all 18 updates. Rode 2weeks ago with mototrax new engineer. Rode his bike with 19 updates. New dampner bushing on rear slider is a huge improvement over spring. New guys seem committed to fixing 17 flaws

H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
Out of the BOX

So if you take a Mono shock system and add a shock, spring or damper to the rear strut ..... would that not be a dual shock system like every other track kit has ?

The flaws in MTX mono shock system have been going on for years not just the 2016, 2017 models.

I am all for innovation and small business , if MTX has new owners and staff I wish them well, hopefully they incorporate morals as part of their business model.

B
Feb 18, 2009
So if you take a Mono shock system and add a shock, spring or damper to the rear strut ..... would that not be a dual shock system like every other track kit has ?

The flaws in MTX mono shock system have been going on for years not just the 2016, 2017 models.

I am all for innovation and small business , if MTX has new owners and staff I wish them well, hopefully they incorporate morals as part of their business model.

Your feedback is clearly biased based on the quality issues you had on your 2017 kit which is understandable but the new kits appear to address most of those issues and this thread is about performance and handling only...

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I have the 17 kit with the 18 updates. The reliability this season was greatly improved, in fact, I have not missed a beat yet (knocking on wood...) The rear slide link with spring still needs addressed, and they have that "fix" as standard equipment on the 19. I have my name on one, but probably won't have it before next season.

There is no doubt that the skid works well in the right conditions. In more set-up snow (think spring conditions) it handles better than the other kits in my riding group. Feels way less rigid and floats through the bumps and drifts just like a bike on sand. I do think their design works well when the conditions favor it.

But... there also is no doubt that the deep powder performance is lower than the competition. Comparing a 16 120 TS to my Enduro kit, I have no chance to keep up. And this is with a TS 2.5 convex track on my kit. It just does not get on top of the snow like the other kits, so on the bottomless days, I am a track poaching SOB.

I am having a blast, and the purchase price was significantly lower than a TS - so I'm not going to complain. I still make it where I want to go, I just have to work at it a little harder - but sometimes that is what makes it fun.

Overall, I am happy with my kit. The support from the company has certainly improved and I hope that the leadership over there keeps that upward trend going.

Premium Features