• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kms Turbo Final Review and Info

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So here is the story. Everyone wants the review of a turbo. I have a 2014 450sxf converted to the KMS 520 big bore, cnc head, bored throttle body, turbo front mount 10 psi, lock out rekluse clutch, low comp piston, arp studs

-Last year bike sent with 20w oil blew crank seal upon start up which was not known for about 15 engine hour caused crazy tuning issues... 20 hours later head mushrooms

-Kms accepts it was their fault rebuilds entire engine for free....

-Was fed up did not install the new engine till this season. I have 15 hours now.

-first ride out was pretty good had a hiccup between 4000 and 6000 rpms that I could clutch through

-2nd map sent within 24 hours.... Closer but rough in that rpm range

-3rd map after 24 hours spot on

This bike rips serious ***.... Pulls turbo sled lines all day long.... Can tackle the trees without issue... It is ridden like a 2 stroke.... makes great power from 4000 to 8000 this is where I ride it... Above that the power is awesome and signs off around 10500 because of the big bore. At this point the only thing I have replaced is the afr sensor because the race fuel I am using has lead... Weaning off it now that tuning is sorted...

-Oil changes with full syn good oil every 8 engine hours
-Bike runs warmer... Lot of hp. I run evans

-I go through a gallon of fuel an hour

-For me it brought the sled fun into snowbiking.... You can still do the trees ect but downshifting from boost is a little tricky..... really you try to stay in a gear....

-Rekluse only an advantage loading and unloading I wish I would have just went with a lock out clutch at the end of the day

-Big bore seems to keep a lot of power in the mid rang so you are not ringing it out at 10 to 14 grand all the time

-I am about 220 so on the heavier side

-It is ran on a Camso.... I think it is a great compliment to the turbo

-Stock chain was toast within 10 hours.... Went with a super bike chain

I will get to 100 hours and will update but at this point the damn thing is sooooo much fun I am sold.... If you have the funds I recommend it.... You need to expect tuning for the first 8 hours or so of run time.... Finally make sure you are starting on a 100 percent sound bike.. Freshen it up ect..... because it will stress everything....

Last edited:
B

Bgg

Jan 31, 2015
Great info

Very interesting post. Do you have any video of your machine in action that you have posted somewhere or you would like to share? I bet many here would like to see this thing rip!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Very interesting post. Do you have any video of your machine in action that you have posted somewhere or you would like to share? I bet many here would like to see this thing rip!
I will be out today and will see... Not too much of a video guy... I will see what can be put together...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
Its awesome that KMS rebuilt your motor for free and so they should. When my Thumper Racing big bore blew up due to them installing the wrong crank seals they told me to pound sand.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Its awesome that KMS rebuilt your motor for free and so they should. When my Thumper Racing big bore blew up due to them installing the wrong crank seals they told me to pound sand.

M5
I agree at the end of the day everyone makes mistakes it is life... But owning up to then is what sets companies apart....

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
THATS because it is -- don't expect something like that to be a kick and go bike. Awesome when they work but never seen one last very long when used hard. If you have the cash to have a more stock set up in the railer as a back up go ahead.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Seems like a lot of fucing around !

No doubt a lot of time wasted..... I am lucky enough to have a spare bike..... That being said it is way more fun.... the bike is ran hard for sure and well taken care of..... So the one thing I think that is the difference from the stock set up is this is a half throttle bike..... So really you are sticking 8 grand instead of reving the crap out of it in the powder... Time will tell .. The powers biggest downside is the chance of braking something when you hit something under the snow is multiplied.... Its always a trade off..... I think any bike you have the chance of having issues.... Below is the list

cr500 bulletproof..... 300 hours vibrated a radiator into leaking and lots of cooling issues until a tunnel cooler was put on.... (I do miss this bike)

beta 300 crank went within 100 hours (Never had luck with this bike)

yz250fx 80 hours ran great once the ecu was change until rekluse sent out a batch of food grade gaskets and toasted the engine (A golf ball size of foam came out).. Rekluse paid for this

So you see it seems to me I am always screwing around way more than wheels..... I think the bikes are always ran so much harder than wheels that you are really testing the machine.... Still its not like sleds were any better if you really ride them...

But come on people doubling your horsepower is not going to come with oem reliability and set up everyone has to get a grip on that... Even down to setting up the camso with the extra 15 or so pounds on the front is different than other people... You don't want a tss type suspension because you loose too much ski pressure with the power... fixed rod preferable yada yada yada.

My back up is a 06 yz250 (Wife/Son)..... Hard bike to screw up;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bpei1s0yoyb4g3/2018-02-07 12.32.12.jpg?dl=0

2018-02-07%2012.32.12.jpg

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
25 hours ... Leak down still at 7 percent ... Which is good.... Bolts from turbo exhaust manifold fell out even with red loctite... Limped back because it felt like I lost the rings... Anyways going with lock washers and safety wire.... Everything else in spec...

M
Jan 14, 2004
I built a bunch of turbo Yami sleds. These are the only fasteners that stay put. No lock washer, no Nordlocks nothing else is permanent. Loctite just melts out its useless as well. I have safety wired as well and yes it works but its a PITA compared to these bolts.

https://www.stage8.com/

M5

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I built a bunch of turbo Yami sleds. These are the only fasteners that stay put. No lock washer, no Nordlocks nothing else is permanent. Loctite just melts out its useless as well. I have safety wired as well and yes it works but its a PITA compared to these bolts.

https://www.stage8.com/

M5
These are awesome thanks !

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Ok last update of the year.. Snow is pretty much gone moving on to dirt biking.... 50 Hours/ 50 gallons of fuel give or take.... still good compression everything is staying together well... Destroyed the Rekluse in spring snow it just was not up to the task... The EXP part of it shattered under the power and load of spring snow.... Going back to stock clutch...... Which I seem to like more in the snow anyways...

Premium Features