• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016/17 Snowy Range snow conditions

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Stayed on the mountain above Greenrock. Woke up Thursday morning to 15" of new snow on the sled seats. Poor visibility in the morning, which later cleared. Over the hood everywhere, even on the trail! Deepest snow over the widest area that we've experienced. Friday, about 6" of new snow. Also, little, if any, wind! Snow was set up a little better due to colder temps. Another great day! Heading back in on H trail, had to follow a bull moose for about 10 minutes. He wouldn't get of the trail, and we couldn't go around. He'd trot for awhile, then stop to look back at us. Finally, he ducked into the trees. BUT...Saturday, the old Wyoming wind-tunnel fired up again. Pretty much white out unless you got into a valley or the trees. Still managed a good day. Talked to a lot of friendly sledders. Good time.

skidooindy

Premium Member
Nov 20, 2008
MN
12 plus new in Ryan Park at 2:30 am. Snowing hard at the Quigly yesterday afternoon. Not riding today as we're MN bound. Imagining powder will be plentiful up top! Lots of untracked snow to eat up

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
OMW now... mid Nebraska. 2:30 am CST should be on hill by 10 am latest. If peaks are socked in we might try Albany. I've heard it's usually calmer there?

One thing I've always wondered.... are there any known slide areas other than Widowmaker?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
Back side of the peaks there are a couple of areas that are slide zones. We lost a sledder a few years back just up from upper twin lake. 7 Fools down in French Creek slides alot, there are a few more farther down French Creek that can be sketchy.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Just done riding outta Albany. You can tell they've had decent snow but everything on this end hard and windblown. Went all the way across Rob Roy in search of it. Didn't find much. First time here so I don't have any secret stashes lol. Gonna go from Greenrock tmrw beings I know some good spots.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I've seen claims of good riding out of Albany but I've never found it. I think the idea of good riding is very different for some guys though.

Anything over 30 degrees is suspect for slides. Yes, 7 fools down in French Creek is a bad one. I've measured the start zone right at 38 degrees, which is the perfect angle to load up dangerous slabs but not release until you load it. I'm pretty sure SAR extracted a body from that zone years ago.

Be safe, have fun!

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
OMW now... mid Nebraska. 2:30 am CST should be on hill by 10 am latest. If peaks are socked in we might try Albany. I've heard it's usually calmer there?

One thing I've always wondered.... are there any known slide areas other than Widowmaker?

Sugarloaf, Toilet bowl, North of Lake Marie, 7 Fools, steep areas just east of Quealy warming hut, Long Lake, around South Gap Lake all slide every year for the most part. A group of 7 friends were on the main trail going thru the gap between North and South Gap Lake and it slid on the trail! Hope this helps.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
East side mostly wind blown and firm. Found some decent small pockets down outta the wind. Headed over West of Quealy and found deep pow. Rode trees and drainage ditches and it was nut deep pow plenty of spots when u jump off the sled. More open areas were just over the spindles with pow.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Rode west side tues through Friday was a good time Friday had to look a little harder but it was there. New snow will arrive there Monday and Tuesday wish I could go back.

76crosscountrycat

Premium Member
Jan 3, 2011
Riding 3/9 thru 3/11

Hey guys

We are heading to ride the snowys. One last ride for the year. We went there last year and had a blast. We will be there Thursday thru Saturday. How does the snow look. Any new accumulation? Temps?

Should we ride down around Albany or start up by centennial.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dustin

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Was really hoping to make another trip out on the 18th but its looking like warmer temps are on the way.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
We didnt expect much Saturday the 11th but ended up having a blue bird great day. Still plent of snow.

attachment.php

FullSizeRender (5).jpg IMG_1999.JPG IMG_1988.JPG IMG_2002.JPG

Ditch pickle wis

Lifetime Membership
Mar 11, 2010
On Friday March 17 we were watching some of the sleds climb the hills west of lake Marie It was awesome Does anyone have any video of climbing those hills

Iowa_assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Rode Friday and Saturday. Conditions were soft slushy hero snow. Absolutely no fresh powder anywhere. About 60 degrees and breezy both days. Creeks are starting to open up. Made for great exploring, climbing, tree riding, and jumps just all in about 4 inches of soft shush.

Bring on some fresh snow.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Looking like potential snow 3/26 - 3/29, 1"-3" each day. Planty warm though from now until then. Makes you wonder on one last trip.

Edit to say... forecast fell apart. Really hoping for some snow so I can get out one last time.

Last edited:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Rode today. There was 2" of fresh on top of month old, backed snow. If we don't get another good storm, our snow is done unless you're a jumper.

Premium Features