• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electronics

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Ladies and Gents. GPS units and two way radios are awesome tools to have with us in the backcountry. I have tried a bunch of different brands and a few of us in our group have gone to the Rhino model (not sure the number) that has GPS locator for others with similar units. It is a handy device because it incorporates GPS, Tracking, and GMRS radio into one unit.

One problem with all of these devices is... they can interfere with avalanche safety equipment. I never knew this, however we recently did a course that addressed this issue. It applies to iPhones and other electronic devices. If you carry these units they should be in the off position unless they are needed. Phone units should be checked with the airplane mode on with beacons for interference prior to riding.

Please note, I am not selecting any particular models or manufacturers. I do not know which ones actually interfere with which avy equipment. I am stating that you should all check for interference prior to riding with your equipment and those you are riding with!!!

We did a check with this equipment including an iPhone and discovered it can in fact be a problem.

FYI

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Phone units should be checked with the airplane mode on with beacons for interference prior to riding.

This isn't enough. It needs to be OFF.

At a beacon practice get together I did this year, one of the guys had HUGE problems finding beacons, finally figured out that it was his Iphone in airplane mode causing the difficulty.

Also found that gopro's will do the same.

Some beacons are more susceptible than others, and some devices cause more problems that others, but the gist is that they need to be OFF.

One more reason to practice, because we need to be in the habit of turning the devices we carry with us off the second we're about to do a search.

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Yep

Yep, agreed. If it is not being used I switch them to off. I only stated they should be checked. Some phones are ok in airplane mode. I personally shut mine off and those I ride with are getting in the same habit. Some equipment is more susceptible to interference that others.

I guess the big question is "How important is your life?". If you want your phone on, you run the risk of running interference with rescue equip.

I have spent the $$$ for the avy pack and gear to go along with it. It is useless if it is not used correctly! It is like a helmut. If you don't wear it, it doesn't protect you. We all need to learn the do's and do not's. This is why I added this thread. So we can all add to the list important info for everyone to read.

Please keep the comments coming. Thanks!!!

T
Jun 3, 2012
Thanks for the info. Now I need to check on some of my gadgets prior to another trip in the backcountry. Couldn't just go on a trip without two-way radios and an iPhone. Thanks for the heads up.

T
Jun 3, 2012
Btw, got myself several nice (have to be really prepared). Great offers. Now I think I'm ready for that backcountry trip. I'll check back in for any more gadgets that I would be bringing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Premium Features