• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2t vs 4t

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
You have to speak another language to understand the T. I don't know why everyone started calling them 2T and 4T. 99% of people don't know. Around here they're still 4 strokes or 2 strokes. Because we speak english.

E
Dec 19, 2007
awesome thanks. it's strange that the French were involved I don't remember them ever making a dirtbike but I'm sure they did at some point.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
awesome thanks. it's strange that the French were involved I don't remember them ever making a dirtbike but I'm sure they did at some point.
Ummmm, Sherco.
963f85d32bb1e5d706366bde3c688c61.jpg

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto

It's not about dirt bikes...it's about the invention of the internal combustion engine. 2T and 4T are not synonymous with dirt bikes alone. Since most of the engine inventors and thermodynamics scientists were French and British, they got to name everything I guess. We're talking over a hundred years ago.

Besides, not to burst any one's bubble but remember that us North Americans are merely spectators in the realm of dirt bikes and off-road. Most FIM world championships have been won by Belgium (France), Italy, France, Sweden and Finland, both in MX and Enduro. USA and especially Canada come distant teenths-placing in overall record history. The French own rallies. The Dakar has been won most times by French riders, both in moto and car categories. For anyone that has attended races in Europe, those riders make us NAs look like the Baja is a bunch of riders going to visit grandma at the home. Oops sorry!

Also, the FIM is located in Switzerland and the official language is French but you never see technical terms named in Japanese, whereas they are the most successful manufactures. Unfortunately, we must (and should) bow down to the Euros because the French and British invented the sport but let's keep our head up and don't forget that we too came from there at one time....:face-icon-small-hap

E
Dec 19, 2007
Yes thanks for explaining. Very interesting. I assumed it was dirt bike slang because I only hear it in the dirt bike world but I never visit any other world.

Premium Features