• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Insurance?

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
OK so I’m looking at insurance for my snobike and realized this is costing more than my sleds and figure it’s because it’s a motorcycle so I wander if I could insure it as a Snomobile since it’s dedicated to snow. Has anyone tried that and how are u insuring your snobike also what’s your cost of full coverage ?

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
In Ontario, we insure our bikes for off-road use, pay about $110/year round. Snow bikes are not considered snowmobiles out here. They are not allowed on the SM trails (nor would you want to). If you try to circumvent the system by insuring as a SM I think your insurance will be voided when you go to make the claim.

This may change in the future but for now we still have to act like a colony and deal with the queen.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
in AB im getting fkd hard for insurance.

first of all, the whole snowbike thing makes EVERYONES head spin at my insurance office. is it a sled?? is it a bike???? where do we file it under?? omg its painful.

so they can only get one place to insure it, as a snowbike, not a sled. not a bike. and I basically gotta pay the full amount... none of this 50% for 6 month thing and take it off in the summer.

heres the kicker that I just learned about after paying full coverage for half a year..... theyll only reimburse me $10,800 if the bike gets stolen/ burnt/fallen off a 800' cliff, etc.... JUST the price of a new KTM dirtbike. no yeti skid, no mods, nothing. I was pissed. I paid $16,000 and the build cost was just over $30,000. I am paying $1400 a year for full coverage just to get $10,800 back if something were to happen... not worth it. I bought a kryptonite new yorker fahgettaboudit lock for $150 instead.

ive now just got the bare bones minimum on it so I get get a plate and technically say im legal.

I wish I had your guys deals....

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
In Utah my farmers agent insured it as a dirtbike which I had to do anyway because I financed it. Then he did the kit as an add-on/aftermarket part. I think I pay 42 bucks a month. Kind of steep but not terrible.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
insure it as a motorcycle, with whatever dollar amounts extra equipment options (kit, mods) you want/need covered. try skimping, or circumventing the coverage, and the claim will be denied, as a vehicle not covered. Ski

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
In Utah my farmers agent insured it as a dirtbike which I had to do anyway because I financed it. Then he did the kit as an add-on/aftermarket part. I think I pay 42 bucks a month. Kind of steep but not terrible.

This is how progressive is but still more than my snowmobiles?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
There is no insurance company that will cover a snow bike . If Cat can pull off what they were trying to do than things will change or any body else that comes out with a turn key .

For the time I have invested in my ride I do appreciate that it is insured .

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Snow bike ins.

So my ins. Company just got back to me on insuring my bike as a snowmobile and said no problem saving me about $300 a yr. [ also my bike is dedicated to snow ]. I would not recommend this if u use it in the summer. I believe the coverage is through nationwide and that is a business policy. Though maybe the info might help someone else ?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
There is no insurance company that will cover a snow bike . If Cat can pull off what they were trying to do than things will change or any body else that comes out with a turn key .

For the time I have invested in my ride I do appreciate that it is insured .

You can insure anything. Just have to find the right company.

Premium Features