• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XR650r conversion

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I know this bike is 60# heavier than a typical application, but since I already own it I figure maybe fit a kit to it, see how much fun the sport is, and if Fun enough I could transfer the kit to a newer electric start bike and I would only need a new fit kit.

Since they dont sell conversion kits, and I have never installed a kit on any bike, what am I going to encounter if I install a kit on this bike?

Kit Of first choice - Timbersled 137 because that’s the only one with a dealer in my normal riding area, Laramie WY. If another kit is easier to install, I might consider another.

Ski fitment to regular forks - looks like I need to get some custom made clamps for the forks.

Track fitment - guessing here:

Re-use the oem swingarm bolt and get some spacers made to center it correctly.

Get a new drive sprocket and new shorter chain.

Can I use the existing brake line?

New, wider/ larger foot pegs.

Replace air filter foam with more porous/ breathable foam. Install same foam above air box intake. Possibly cut extra openings in side panel to allow more air to get to filter. Maybe cover those holes with frogskin.

Last edited:
C
Dec 15, 2016
Careful going with bigger pegs if it's a kick start bike. I would keep stock pegs, otherwise you may have issues with your boot hitting. I like xr650r's, Good for you, torque...

K
Jan 3, 2017
One thing I would consider for you is buying a used kit especially with that bike. I have an Xr600r and love it but I use my kx5 for the snow because I want the power. You can probably find a used kit relatively cheap now that the snow is leaving. You will probably have the hardest time making the spacers for where it bolts through your swing arm pivot bolt.

Premium Features